GAS advice - McCarty 594 WL

Freetz

I've been thinking about getting a wood library 594, but I already have a wood library HBII. Other than the obvious hollow body aspect, I'm wondering if there's enough difference to make it worth it.

I can only assume this crowd will be more than supportive of MORE PRS, but some honest reflection on 594 vs HBII would be appreciated.

Completely different, assuming you’re talking about the solid body version of the 594. I don’t own an HB anymore, but I do have a couple of 594s, one of which is semi hollow. Think the difference between a 335 and a Les Paul.

Yep, I'm thinking solid body 594. I love my HBII and it's been my main guitar for well over a year now, but I can't stop looking at the 594 for some reason...

I do wish the HBII didn't have the plastic jack plate. For what those things fetch I'd hope they had steel plates like the rest of the lineup.

Yep, I'm thinking solid body 594. I love my HBII and it's been my main guitar for well over a year now, but I can't stop looking at the 594 for some reason...

I do wish the HBII didn't have the plastic jack plate. For what those things fetch I'd hope they had steel plates like the rest of the lineup.
I think the plastic is just much better to form the battery compartment. Mine without a piezo has a metal jack plate.

I agree with Bodia: a hollowbody, particularly with piezo, has a very different tonal range. It won’t be duplicating what you have.

Let's not forget--different neck profiles, too. Your HBII would almost certainly have the Pattern neck profile, whereas the 594 would have a Pattern Vintage neck profile. Despite the fact that the names seem really close, I find the Pattern Vintage to be a much more chunky-feeling neck than the medium-C-ish Pattern.

I concur with the above. These would be very different guitars.

The width at the nut and body are the same on the pattern and pattern vintage - the only difference is the asymmetric cut and the vintage is only .05” thicker - can you really tell the difference in thickness? My pattern neck is about as big as I’d like - similarly my AVRI jazzmaster has the 60s C shape and while it’s comfy, much bigger and I’d be hurting.

I know that the measurements are just fractionally different; but my left hand--specifically, the way that the slightly asymmetrical Pattern Vintage neck fills into that crook between my thumb and index finger--tells me otherwise. I've owned/played the older Pattern Regular (pretty close to Pattern, maybe a hair narrower), and currently have some Pattern necks and an SE Wide-Fat (very similar neck feels). My one Pattern Vintage is the "baseball bat" feeling one... at least to my small-ish hands.

I'm only 5'9" and have what I assume are proportionally sized hands (that's some good joke foundation for the forum trolls), so that's exactly my main concern.

Additional question - do all of the 594s have the tummy cut? It seems subtle and from a lot of photos on Daves, eddies, wildwood, etc., it's not clear if the tummy cut is there - though some of those photos aren't the best.

Back