Gary Grainger Bass question

Wakester

Re Member
I found a Grainger 4 string bass online auction that has it labeled as a 10 top. The pictures of the head does not show a 10 stamp. Are basses marked different than regular guitars, or is the seller trying to boost the bidding?

There are some pretty heavy scars in the finish, like it got kicked off a stage, but otherwise appears intact. I know my limit with regard to price, and I know that one in excellent condition is way, way beyond my limits and means.

So, should I follow this one through to my budget, or should I back away slowly once my initial bid is beat?

Is it is the one on ebay with the black gold finish and the lower horn damage, S/N 14 212855? That one is not a 10 top by any means. No 10 on the back of the headstock, no top 10. If you could trust the seller, I'd only offer a max bid of 60% the value of a non 10 top, because I can walk off the street and get at least 25% discount on the posted price for a new one. That max bid would be a tad generous for the value of a good condition instrument.

Last edited:
Is it is the one on ebay with the black gold finish and the lower horn damage, S/N 14 212855? That one is not a 10 top by any means. No 10 on the back of the headstock, no top 10. If you could trust the seller, I'd only offer a max bid of 60% the value of a non 10 top, because I can walk off the street and get at least 25% discount on the posted price for a new one. That max bid would be a tad generous for the value of a good condition instrument.
that is the one, and I'm not offering even close to 60%. If I lose, I lose. The dealer seemed to have a good reputation, just doesn't know too much about guitars and PRS in general.

that is the one, and I'm not offering even close to 60%. If I lose, I lose. The dealer seemed to have a good reputation, just doesn't know too much about guitars and PRS in general.
Well, good luck on the bid. I bought a non 10 top GG-5 with a 1-off finish a couple of weeks ago. It's a good bass if you can get one.

Well folks, the GG is out of reach. A shame and a blessing I guess. A shame because it would have been my first PRSb, and second PRSi. A blessing I guess because of the amount of physical damage to the guitar, and who knows what wasn't being said about the electronics or neck, etc.

So to console myself I picked up a eBay special factory second 5 string bass, with a spalted maple top. The guitar was being sold by one of the local shops, so I stopped in and made the sale without having to pay the shipping. For the life of me, I cannot tell why it is a factory 2nd. I can find no flaw or defect anywhere.

Back