Gary Grainger 5 neck mods... what can PTC do for me?

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by generation zero, Jan 9, 2014.

1. generation zero

generation zero New Member

Hi Shawn, I'm curious as to how far the PTC can go on refinishing the neck on my Grainger 5. The bass is black gold burst, with the rosewood fretboard... I'm not really digging the clear satin finish on the maple neck though. I was quoted a price on painting the headstock black and applying a gold logo through PTC during the ordering process, but now that I have the bass I think I'd like the neck to have the same gloss finish as the body... preferably with some color to it as well. Burst to match the top, or just stained to match the edge of the top burst... or even all black. I just really don't think I'm ever going to love the bright white maple against the black gold finish... Are there limits to what the PTC is "allowed" to do to a core line Grainger, or are my options wide open? I have a request email in through the site to inquire on prices, I just thought maybe I'd get a general answer faster here, along with some possible suggestions and opinions from other posters... This bass is almost perfect... I'm sure the PTC could make it absolutely perfect! :)

2. wardog

wardog What the gravy and cheese!!!!

If I am correct, shawn will want you to do another PTC request to give you the possibilities and related costs.

3. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

It just sounds like you want a neck-only refinish, right? The PTC will do that for you.

4. generation zero

Yeah, that about sums up what I'm after. Neck only refinish in black gold burst would be perfect. Maybe a headstock overlay, or stain to match the body, or whatever would look best with the metallic style PRS signature logo. Not looking for super custom Private Stock look, necessarily... Mainly just concerned with the gloss finish aspect of it, and a darker color than clear on the maple.

5. generation zero

Well, I got my reply from PTC... they will finish the neck in V12, but they "don't offer" any color options (stain or paint) for maple necks. I replied back asking if I could still get the headstock painted black and a logo applied over it, which I was quoted for when I ordered the bass, and if they could bundle the two services for any discount on the price quoted separately for each. I also asked WHY they can't or won't color the neck in any way, considering some of the VERY drastic Private Stock level overhauls I've seen go through the PTC... No reply on that yet. Feeling a little disheartened with the whole PTC thing at the moment... Considering how much I spent on the bass to begin with, I may just decide to leave well enough alone. I'm sure I'll eventually learn to love the neck as it is, or at least live with it. I can't see spending ANOTHER seven or eight hundred bucks (not counting shipping both ways) on it and still not having exactly what I wanted to begin with. :(