Garage to Post-Production Mix Room Renovation

NoisyDante

There’s a fine line between stupid and clever.
I thought this might be fun to post here. This was in our house back in Atwater Village, Los Angeles. After I got engaged and moved in with my wife I needed a studio office for my film/tv/gaming work. I got to take over the single-car garage in the back yard. It was an ideal size and I had free license to do whatever I wanted to it. I went with a speakeasy sort of vibe, and later put a few ferns and a bar globe in it. I had professionals upgrade the electricity and install a ductless A/C and heating unit, but the rest of the work I did myself. There was an adjacent laundry room with a bathroom that I made into the machine room, so no computer noise or excess heat. It was also important that the room could be easily converted back to a garage should we decide to move out, which we did, though we kept the room as is, our realtor said it was a good selling point. I took photos of the process, took about a week to complete.

Bare single-car garage not being used
VPkl8JH.jpg

uFShpup.jpg

New electricity and ductless A/C installed
HjvQcuM.jpg

JWTkKWm.jpg

mrFoi0B.jpg

Framing, insulation and tile carpeting go in
4Cgw8cW.jpg

VfpNDSd.jpg

K9RR05i.jpg

rLVkoW4.jpg

Ab3v77o.jpg

Painted ceiling & drywalled over garage door, covered walls with sueded fabric
Vccz1Ua.jpg

CdUOiO6.jpg

l73Q6i0.jpg

U1CM9ju.jpg

6fpYXoB.jpg

Ebony stained baseboards, molding and seam covers
DxT9nr9.jpg

ben1mUZ.jpg

hd3OTjd.jpg

K81rDYf.jpg

Wow! Really great job!

Tell us about your work! I'm in ad music world, and am always interested to hear what other folks are doing.
Thank you. I’m a re-recording mixer, sound designer and sound supervisor for features, television, gaming and advertising. I’ve worked for Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, Soundelux and POP Sound and have my own company for indie work. Most recently though I got a masters in digital media forensic analysis so I’m planning to head more into that realm as an expert witness for civil and criminal cases. I just really didn’t want to work for the studios or live in LA anymore. We moved to Colorado in June and I’m considering getting a JD.

Thank you. I’m a re-recording mixer, sound designer and sound supervisor for features, television, gaming and advertising. I’ve worked for Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, Soundelux and POP Sound and have my own company for indie work. Most recently though I got a masters in digital media forensic analysis so I’m planning to head more into that realm as an expert witness for civil and criminal cases. I just really didn’t want to work for the studios or live in LA anymore. We moved to Colorado in June and I’m considering getting a JD.

The odd thing is, I have a JD and practiced law for 15 years before going into the music business! There's no figuring this stuff out. However, I'm convinced that there are times a career change is a very good thing. ;)

No question that forensic analysis is a coming thing. I have a lot of friends who still practice law, and that's what they tell me. I've done ad music for around 30 years, and it's been a lot of fun. I know lots of folks in audio post - it's a great field. There are always opportunities. In fact, my business partner did a ton of audio post before getting into sound design and scoring.

In Detroit, of course, it's mainly about serving the car advertising agencies, but they generally have decent budgets, so the audio production standards are pretty high.

The odd thing is, I have a JD and practiced law for 15 years before going into the music business! There's no figuring this stuff out. However, I'm convinced that there are times a career change is a very good thing. ;)

No question that forensic analysis is a coming thing. I have a lot of friends who still practice law, and that's what they tell me. I've done ad music for around 30 years, and it's been a lot of fun. I know lots of folks in audio post - it's a great field. There are always opportunities. In fact, my business partner did a ton of audio post before getting into sound design and scoring.

In Detroit, of course, it's mainly about serving the car advertising agencies, but they generally have decent budgets, so the audio production standards are pretty high.
Post work has gotten so competitive in LA, lower budgets, smaller teams, no apprenticeship opportunities for younger engineers, and in my opinion the editors guild union is weak. I think with a JD I’d have a lot of different opportunities available to me. I’m glad we decided to make a big leap now, and I got my masters right before covid hit. Just in time.

Maybe not, with modern medicine we’ll probably all live to be 140

the old guy in my grad school class was ~40 and returning to get a joint environmental science jd; i was always kind of envious, but i’m too dumb to be a lawyer.

the old guy in my grad school class was ~40 and returning to get a joint environmental science jd; i was always kind of envious, but i’m too dumb to be a lawyer.
A guy in my masters class literally wrote the book on the subject of digital audio forensics, and I mean literally as it’s supposed to be used, our class lessons referenced his scientific papers. He was the guy who analyzed the flight recordings of 9/11 flight 93 He just didn’t have a masters and was tired of explaining himself in court. It was like a Mexican kid taking Spanish in school when he’s already fluent. Pretty funny, we became good friends.

A guy in my masters class literally wrote the book on the subject of digital audio forensics, and I mean literally as it’s supposed to be used, our class lessons referenced his scientific papers. He was the guy who analyzed the flight recordings of 9/11 flight 93 He just didn’t have a masters and was tired of explaining himself in court. It was like a Mexican kid taking Spanish in school when he’s already fluent. Pretty funny, we became good friends.

that’s lame. ‘professionalism run amok.’ remember when a master’s was a big deal and you could still get an enchirito at taco bell?

Very cool, love the vibe of the room.

My wife is 48 and just finishing her Masters degree in psychology, then next year going for her doctorate, I am very proud of her, takes so much courage to start again.

The speakeasy vibe and the addition of ferns and a bar globe must have given it so much character.
It's great that you upgraded the electricity and added A/C and heating – those are game-changers for comfort. Plus, the fact that you can easily convert it back to a garage is a smart move.
By the way, if you ever want to add some more detail and elegance, you might consider using interior mouldings. I found some at Skirting World, and they can really elevate the overall look. Your project is a fantastic example of how creativity can turn a space into something special.

Last edited:
Back