G7 Performance 3

Andrew Middleton

Has anyone used one of these capos?They are supposed to cater for any radius of fretboard which would suit my PRS SE Custom and my acoustic guitar. If so could you give your opinion. It gets good reviews but one review.said they had had 3 G7 capos (not necessarily the performance 3 model) and all three became loose after a period of use. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks in advance.

I haven't used one. For any capo to be truly effective without having to retune when applied, it must match the fretboard radius. I don't see how any single capo could adapt to a different radius and apply equal pressure. Capos are made that have inserts with different radii for that purpose.
The human finger is the only thing I know of that can adapt that way. But, I could be wrong.

Apologies, didn’t read the title properly!

I have the Newport, I like the tension adjuster.

Sooorrrryyyy!

I have four G7 capos, all Perf 2 (the Amazon site says that one of them that I ordered is for classical guitars, but it seems to work fine on my electrics). I actually didn't remember I had four. I can track two or three of them. Hmm, need to go digging through gig bags, apparently...

The Perf 3 seems to have a mechanism for applying pressure at the extremes of the rubber material that presses on the strings, which is why it is supposed to work for variable fretboard radii.

Look at the diagram on Amazon.com, for example:

amazon.com/G7th-Performance-Technology-String-Satin/dp/B07NDW6HH8

It "should" work, but I'd want to test it and see how long it lasts.

Found all four of my Performance 2 models.

Yep, one is longer and better suited to flat fretboards, although it does work on regular fretboards with some fiddling - I have some flatter fretboards (SE Holcomb, a nylon-string non-PRS classical), so it will get assigned there.

I might pick up a Perf 3 eventually to see if I notice any difference.

I'm interested in trying one of the new series. I like the series 2, and have a couple of them.

Back