G-string way louder than the rest

kevith

Hi Y´all.

I have a CE 22 bolt-on, that I like very much and use for everything.

The only hazzle is, that the G-string is extremely much louder than the rest, screwing the polepiece all the way to the bottom helps somewhat, but not entirely.

Is there a fix to this? (Can´t really see myself what it should be)

The rest of the strings also vary a lot, but that can be remedied by adjusting the polepieces (a whole lot of adjustment is required, but there is just enough threading on them)

I find it a little disappointing on a guitar in this pricerange.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;164761 said:
Wound G.

D'Addario EXL110W XL Nickel Wound Regular (.010 - .046)

That won´t do for my playing. Besides it would probably enhance the problem, I think, since the G-string is even heavier.

First I've ever heard of that happening, and I've had lots of PRSes since 1991!

But it's an older guitar, so there are a lot of possible variables that might be causing this.

Something's gotta be off.

Check the PRS setup guide in the Support section of the PRS site. Also, since it's an older guitar, maybe something's up with the nut, the bridge, or the pickups.

I once knew a stripper with a very loud g-string.

OK, no more beers for me today.

You could also try lowering the whole pickup a touch and bringing the pole pieces back up to where they sound best.

Lower the pickup, screw the G pole piece all the way down, and raise all the other pole pieces.

is it the open-G note or every note on the G-string?

It´s all the notes, so I guess that rules out the nut.

I tried the original Dragon II´s, Seymours Phat Cats and DiMarzio Bluesbuckers, the problem remains.

Could it be the saddle arrangement? I can´t seem to find a direct mailadress to the factory, otherwise I would ask them.

Thanks for all the replys (so far).

I did of course adjust the polepieces/pick-up height as much as I could to alleviate the problem.

It´s a 1999 model with no top, just a plain mahogany body, thin-wide neck with rosewood fingerboard. I play it through a stereo setup, Bad Cat Cub II and a 5E3. Strymon Flint is the stereo-key.

Thnx everyone :)

Wait - so the G-string is louder with all the different pickups? What about acoustically? It's probably going to be hard to hear, especially since you said the other strings vary.

It really sounds like there's something odd going on with the hardware - bridge or nut.

Wait - so the G-string is louder with all the different pickups? What about acoustically? It's probably going to be hard to hear, especially since you said the other strings vary.

It really sounds like there's something odd going on with the hardware - bridge or nut.

Yeah, doesn´t it?

It´s there accoustically as well, although not so pronounced/easy to hear, as you say.

I recently had new frets put in it. The phenomenon was there before that, but I asked the tech to examine the saddle/trem set-up, and he said they were fine. He changed the two pivot screws on the low E. He also set it up very nice, much to factory specs from the homepage.

Below is a shot of the neck PU. The way the polepieces are set, gives a fairly even volume...

Last edited:
Natural resonance on that guitar? Try tuning the whole thing down half or whole step and see if it still dominates.

Well, thanks very much to you all. I ended up selling the thing and bought a Fender. No problems, all equal and all right. I´m through with PRS.

So a older used guitar that has had work done on it, that you did not let the factory PTC set up guys look at to alleviate the problem, has a loud g string issue that you cannot resolve yourself, so you wrote off an entire brand of guitars.......that sounds reasonable.......your where you should be.......

Back