G & B pickup co

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I won a G&L Jerry Cantrell Rampage Pickup on ebay HOWEVER I didn't think about the possibilty that it could be out of the korean made rampage which it is so now I'm bummed about it. I didn't pay very much for it so that's not a big deal but I was so excited to have it and use it only to be let down. To be honest, I can't really be sure it came out of a rampage as there are no markings to indicate what it is. Their website doesn't offer much either.

Any thoughts on this jem??? What the heck do I have here????

When we sold G&Ls years ago, even the imports came with US made nice G&L pickups...

That's nice. Do you suspect this pickup never saw a G&L? I didn't spend very much at all so I'm not going to get too excited about getting my money back.

I take it you were a G&L dealer? I have a Nighthawk I bought new in 1983, great guitar. I'll never sell it.

Possibly an after market pick up..
pretty sure they marked all of their pickup covers as G&L so consumers knew they were getting the better pickups...not familiar with G n B though...the nighthawks were awesome....I absolutely loved the asats...One of the last non-PRS guitars I owned was a G&L hollow tele with 3 of the Z pickups...traded for my first McCarty with P 90s...

Possibly an after market pick up..
pretty sure they marked all of their pickup covers as G&L so consumers knew they were getting the better pickups...not familiar with G n B though...the nighthawks were awesome....I absolutely loved the asats...One of the last non-PRS guitars I owned was a G&L hollow tele with 3 of the Z pickups...traded for my first McCarty with P 90s...

I have now idea what G&Ls of today are like but back then they were excellent guitars. I picked the Nighthawk over a strat that day. I was always curious about those Z pickups.

I looked on line and it seems the G&B pickup co is korean and used in the PRS SE line, ESP LTD line and maybe some Schecter models.

G&L doesn't make a traditional humbucker-sized pickup, so while it is true that their import guitars typically come loaded with the Fullerton made pickups that is not true of the Cantrell Rampage: The US-built model has a Duncan JB, which would definitely bear the Duncan imprint on the baseplate, while the import version has a "custom wound" pickup of undisclosed origin. They're not branded as G&L pickups because they are not built by them, probably made at one of the Korean factories and probably a perfectly serviceable pickup.

G&Bs are great quality pickups with average-good tones and normally comes in import guitars. From what I know, the PRS SEs are fitted with them. ESP LTDs also come with them. They're all from the same Korean factory but wound to specs given by the guitar makers. The newest Tribute series Cantrell model could possibly come with that pickup, because it says Custom Wound Alnico V pickups, and you don't always get "custom wound" pickups on imports. Also, the Tribute models are entry-level imports of G&L, so that explains more. Even PRS list their SE pickups as SE Treble/Bass, SE HFS/VB, but they're all from G&B. So yeah, that's my guess. :D

Back