Funny PRS Sighting

an agent told us we had to pay our dues before we would move up to the big time.

Huh. At least you were lied to. Our agent didn't bother. I guess if you'd've asked us (not that we all agreed), we might've thought we were paying dues (and a few bills) while we worked up material for a studio trip and then, inevitably, discovery. (We did work up the material, and did the studio...discovery, alas, was severely limited.)

The agent didn't bother. She knew her gigs led nowhere, and she'd book us as whatever kind of music the venue was looking for (whether we played it or not), and the deeper we plunged into Appalachia, the more gigs we found where people came just because there was no other choice if they wanted to drink to live music.

That didn't mean they were disposed to like us, any more than we were disposed to like the gigs. It did lead to harrowing (and occasionally hilarious) adventures.

Actually, we were playing ... because we liked playing.

There are very few things we can do where time and space seem to disappear. Playing in a band has always been one for me. It’s the being physically exhausted part after working and then going to a gig that gets me. Having said that, playing music…………………anywhere………for people………….beats not playing music anywhere.

My first Grateful Dead show, Rosemont Horizon in Rosemont IL (now All state Arena) I was still a music noob. They had like, 10 of these giant speakers with this weird rotating drum in the middle that would speed up and slow down without reason (it seemed to me). Some were stacked two high. They were strewn across the backline not just by the B3 player (Brent Mydland).

It was a couple years later I found out what they were, and a few years after that I got respect for that setup at my first GD show. It explains some of the sound I was hearing. Now I also have a Motion Sound for that swirly goodness in my guitar rig (thanks Trey)

IDK if that was on topic :D

Back