From gloss to satin

ArnaudS1979

How difficult would it be to turn a hi gloss neck into a satin neck? Should it be done by a pro or can it be achieve by an amateur with some care and attention?

I might be completely off the mark but I would have thought this is a sanding job, no need to re-finish or anything. Just reduce it to a satisfactory feel...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hit up You Tube for micro meshing a guitar neck. Stewmac sells the supplies to do it. I have them, but have not gotten around to trying it yet.

Careful use of fine steel wool (000 or 0000) is the best method I've heard of, and I've been told by pros to stay away from using sandpaper.

Having done this on a couple of guitars, the best thing to use is a Green 3M Scotchbrite pad or 000 steel wool. It isnt about removing the finish to bare wood, it's about just putting micro scratches in a gloss finish to bring it back to satin. Mask the ends of the neck at the head stock and Heel (it may be worth looking a pictures of the SE Zack Myers or Holcombe for this). If using steel wool, mask or remove your pickups to stop fibres contaminating them. Rub the pad/steel wool along the neck (always in the direction of the woodgrain) Start light, with even pressure until you build up confidence then keep going until you have the desired feel. It should only take about 10 mins. 5 of that being the time to mask.

If you change your mind this can always be polished again using very fine wet and dry paper used wet, and then buffed with a polishing compound and microfibre cloth.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seandesigner, the way you put it actually make it sound pretty straight forward. I'll give it a try on the Epi. And if it works I'll do it on the Studio... So they can feel more like my SE C24! :D

+1 to Green Scotchbrite.

After getting my CE and SE Holcomb, the other SE necks feel tacky to the touch, so I satin'd them.

After getting my SE Zach Myers and loving the feel of the neck I did this to a Fender Jagmaster I have. I ended up using sandpaper (first 600 grit, then 1200 grit) - it was pretty straight forward, couldn't have taken more than 10-20 mins.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seandesigner, the way you put it actually make it sound pretty straight forward. I'll give it a try on the Epi. And if it works I'll do it on the Studio... So they can feel more like my SE C24! :D

Yeah, Sean nailed it.

I just did this on my SE-7 tonight. Only difference is I used 0000 steel wool (finer). I'm overhauling the electronics, so the pickups were out. Make sure to do it outside somewhere, as the steel wool fibers will end up everywhere.

mBpki5z.jpg

feoHvfP.jpg

Well, I have some sanding paper leftover from when I put a new nut on the Epi LP. So I'll use that. Wonder if I'll find a bit of time this weekend to get on with it...

So I finally did it. It may not be the most beautiful looking neck in string instrument history but boy it feels good.

I came at it with the 600 grit sand paper for a good 10 minutes. Then finished it with 1200 grit. I wasn't too keen on a clear separation mark at the head so I created a wee transition with the 1200 grit. I may have removed more material than anticipated / advised, but the feel is good.

Before: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HDspCS7K6eK7YVYY2
After: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ov8X8Vby7ssV1bej1

Now, would it really have a bearing on resale value of the guitar? It is a better player now!!!

I think I will do it for my other Paula... Should I use 1200 and 1800 instead?

So I finally did it. It may not be the most beautiful looking neck in string instrument history but boy it feels good.

I came at it with the 600 grit sand paper for a good 10 minutes. Then finished it with 1200 grit. I wasn't too keen on a clear separation mark at the head so I created a wee transition with the 1200 grit. I may have removed more material than anticipated / advised, but the feel is good.

Before: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HDspCS7K6eK7YVYY2
After: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ov8X8Vby7ssV1bej1

Now, would it really have a bearing on resale value of the guitar? It is a better player now!!!

I think I will do it for my other Paula... Should I use 1200 and 1800 instead?
The transition that you mention is very similar to that used on some of the PRS satin necks. Nice touch!

As far as re-sale value, that’s a difficult one. The finish on a neck is a matter of personal preference. Also depends on how much of a stickler your buyer is for the instrument being in original condition.

There’s a video on you tube of a luthier going up to 2000 grit. I suppose it depends on your preference and also remember as you use the paper, it will degrade slightly and emulate a higher grit.

Nice work.

My satin finished necks have gone the other way, and the playing area of them is now gloss from playing the guitars!

So, I have now given a similar treatment to the Studio. I went with 1000 and 1500 grits. In terms of look, though I was better organised and thought through the transitions a bit better, I feel like I have let my self down a bit in the workmanship. The look of the neck is not as consistent on the Studio as what I did on the Epi.

It is however a small gripe as the feel is really close to my SE C24. Which is brilliant! Now that I have done this one, I think that with the Epi I haven't really turned the neck into a satin finish... It is closer to a no finish... I am glad I changed the grit because very quickly I realise that the finish on the Studio was thinner than on the Epi... So it would have been easy to go too far quickly.

Both feel great in their own way now, and I will see in time which one I prefer. But I can't help thinking I may have gone overboard with the Epi. Will there be significant disadvantages in having only a very thin finish left on the neck?

I still need to take some photos of the Studio neck... The funny thing now, my Tele introduced me to satin finish necks, and it now feels the stickiest of the lot. Looking at it through the experience I gain in this wee experiment, I would say it isn't actually satin, but a very thin gloss... I may have to do something about it!!!

So, I have now given a similar treatment to the Studio. I went with 1000 and 1500 grits. In terms of look, though I was better organised and thought through the transitions a bit better, I feel like I have let my self down a bit in the workmanship. The look of the neck is not as consistent on the Studio as what I did on the Epi.

It is however a small gripe as the feel is really close to my SE C24. Which is brilliant! Now that I have done this one, I think that with the Epi I haven't really turned the neck into a satin finish... It is closer to a no finish... I am glad I changed the grit because very quickly I realise that the finish on the Studio was thinner than on the Epi... So it would have been easy to go too far quickly.

Both feel great in their own way now, and I will see in time which one I prefer. But I can't help thinking I may have gone overboard with the Epi. Will there be significant disadvantages in having only a very thin finish left on the neck?

I still need to take some photos of the Studio neck... The funny thing now, my Tele introduced me to satin finish necks, and it now feels the stickiest of the lot. Looking at it through the experience I gain in this wee experiment, I would say it isn't actually satin, but a very thin gloss... I may have to do something about it!!!
Satin finishes will buff up with the friction of being played.

As you’ve said, go easy with the sand paper, it could be easy to go through the nitro finish, which is probably thinner than the Epi’s finish, which is probably a cellulose finish and may be slightly thicker.

You’ll be an expert soon, especially if you do your Tele too!

I didnt realize how popular this 'do it yourself' satin neck technique was until I heard it from a salesguy at GC in recent weeks. Apparently, A LOT of folks out there go this route as opposed to placing special orders. Very cool. I might have to do it on my two remaining glossy necked guitars. Thanks for info.

I didnt realize how popular this 'do it yourself' satin neck technique was until I heard it from a salesguy at GC in recent weeks. Apparently, A LOT of folks out there go this route as opposed to placing special orders. Very cool. I might have to do it on my two remaining glossy necked guitars. Thanks for info.
Watch the luthier videos if you’re going to. Lots of good info out there on you tube.

I have to say, you are braver than I!

To be honest, I had been thinking about it for a while, but was a bit daunted by the idea of 'attacking' the neck of set neck guitars. If it wasn't for the good advice I received from the good folk here, I would probably still be sitting on the fence. If you are cautious, there is nothing to be afraid off. Even though I was a bit too enthusiastic with the Epi, nothing wrong happened. Start with a 1000 grit sanding paper and you will see the finish get coarser slowly enough to be able to say when you are comfortable to stop.

I had these guitars for 20 years and only discovered the joys of satin neck 10 years ago... special order was not an option :) And seriously, it is so simple that forking out extra for a special order is not worth it, IMO.

Now the interesting thing is, would I buy a new guitar with a gloss neck if it sounded right on the knowledge that I could turn it satin... Not sure?

I bought my SE Standard 22 fully intending to flat the neck. I always thought I hated gloss necks and wouldn't buy one, but when I went shopping the PRS was miles better in every way. But now I'm used to the gloss and don't mind it, though every time I read a thread like this it gets me thinking...

Back