Friends Who Are Enablers

GADonis

Beautifully Broken
Last Saturday a friend was looking at buying a new amplifier head and speaker cabinet. His main driving force was light weight. He has been dragging two very heavy combo amps to gigs and got tired of the heavy lifting. He had to go to Atlanta to check it out since that was the nearest dealer for the specific brand he was looking at. Not PRS so I won't "advertise directly" for them, but the head has a clear panel and pretty blue lights. The Ultra channel was pretty killer. He got the head and a 2x12 cabinet.

Four hour drive. Well, a four hour drive for a normal person. My friend drives fast. Like, real fast. Cadillac Escalade pushing triple digits at times. He asked if I wanted to go. I hate Atlanta. Pretty much everything about that city rubs me the wrong way. Their traffic, their airport, their football team. All of it. But I'm a good friend so I said I'd go.

Atlanta Discount Music is where we went. I checked out their website the night before to see what they had. And sure enough something caught my eye. It's also an "other brand." Rhymes with Scmmender. An Artist Series. The artist rhymes with Schmeff Schmeck. We get there. I play it and the price isn't bad. So I tell the guy, forget his name, to write it up. Oh, also, I'll take that Rockett HRM pedal too (PRS doesn't make pedals so I don't mind mentioning the real name). So that ended up being a pretty large "impulse buy." Played it all day yesterday. Not sure about the vibrato bar. It's an odd duck. May go with a standard bar. The LSR roller nut seems pretty good. Undecided about the pickups. Through my high gain amp they seem to lack high end even though all the reviews talk about their nice high end. I need to try it through my "Blues Guy" amp before deciding if they stay or go. They are ceramic noiseless (Not Lace Sensors).

The guys at Atlanta Discount Music were pretty cool to deal with. The store is misleading. On the outside it looks really tiny. But inside they have every room packed with stuff. And not just entry level stuff. They had a lot of really nice guitars and amps. There was a purplish PS SC245 on the wall. Top looked pretty ridiculous. I only admired it from afar, didn't want to hit the bank account anymore than I already was.

Last Saturday a friend was looking at buying a new amplifier head and speaker cabinet. His main driving force was light weight. He has been dragging two very heavy combo amps to gigs and got tired of the heavy lifting. He had to go to Atlanta to check it out since that was the nearest dealer for the specific brand he was looking at. Not PRS so I won't "advertise directly" for them, but the head has a clear panel and pretty blue lights. The Ultra channel was pretty killer. He got the head and a 2x12 cabinet.

Four hour drive. Well, a four hour drive for a normal person. My friend drives fast. Like, real fast. Cadillac Escalade pushing triple digits at times. He asked if I wanted to go. I hate Atlanta. Pretty much everything about that city rubs me the wrong way. Their traffic, their airport, their football team. All of it. But I'm a good friend so I said I'd go.

Atlanta Discount Music is where we went. I checked out their website the night before to see what they had. And sure enough something caught my eye. It's also an "other brand." Rhymes with Scmmender. An Artist Series. The artist rhymes with Schmeff Schmeck. We get there. I play it and the price isn't bad. So I tell the guy, forget his name, to write it up. Oh, also, I'll take that Rockett HRM pedal too (PRS doesn't make pedals so I don't mind mentioning the real name). So that ended up being a pretty large "impulse buy." Played it all day yesterday. Not sure about the vibrato bar. It's an odd duck. May go with a standard bar. The LSR roller nut seems pretty good. Undecided about the pickups. Through my high gain amp they seem to lack high end even though all the reviews talk about their nice high end. I need to try it through my "Blues Guy" amp before deciding if they stay or go. They are ceramic noiseless (Not Lace Sensors).

The guys at Atlanta Discount Music were pretty cool to deal with. The store is misleading. On the outside it looks really tiny. But inside they have every room packed with stuff. And not just entry level stuff. They had a lot of really nice guitars and amps. There was a purplish PS SC245 on the wall. Top looked pretty ridiculous. I only admired it from afar, didn't want to hit the bank account anymore than I already was.
Sounds like you got taken for a ride! Congrats on the new Scmmender!!

Atlanta Discount Music is great! I've been doing business with them since 1985, at several locations. I bought all my Mesas from them over the years, as well as my Rickenbacker.
I agree with you about driving into Atlanta though, I'm an hour north, and as often as not, some traffic screw up can easily double that drive time.
I have an old "Scmmender" S*** Ultra with the LSR nut and Lace Sensors, and it has plenty of top end for my tastes. I replaced the factory "Fender Floyd" trem with a drop-in Mann Made PRS style, and it's a big improvement.

I took it to an open mic and played it through my "blues rig." The high end was fine. I'm guessing that my high gain amp settings are a little off for this guitar. That's easy enough to deal with. The vibrato bar that came with it is probably going to get replaced with a standard bar. It's just too tall for my liking.

Back