Friends, Romans, Small Business Owners, Lend Me Your Ears

On second thought, I do have some advice; this is a big undertaking, and will likely push things for both you, and your wife. Remember why you're doing this when/if things get hairy. Keep the business side separate from the personal side. Leave time for you two to be a couple. And, above all, when the day is done, leave it all in a little brown bag outside the "office" door. It'll be there waiting for you in the morning. Easier said than done, of course. Remember, you're life partners before you're business partners.

I really like this post. I can’t tell you how many nights I couldn’t sleep, and now I look back and think wtf.

A few items that have been very good to my dental office, which is simultaneously absolutely not the same, but also not totally that different, from what you’re doing:

Locate your business in near the intersection of as many major travelways as possible (unless daily traffic would make that miserable for your clients).

Consider the possibility of being open in the evenings.

Anytime someone tells you thy appreciate your work, ask them to refer friends or family.

Make time to get to know people and have a genuine interest in what brings them in - doing the other items above will allow you the client flow and income to afford time to do that!

If your services can be covered, don’t join any insurance networks unless you absolutely have to!!!!!!!!!!!! Being in network is a good way to attract clients/patients, but with that dependence on established “in-network” clientele will come an inability to escape should you ever want to, and the insurance companies know it!!!

Play lots of PRS artists on the radio, especially the heavy metal ones!!!

Good luck!

Golden Rule: You have your money. The company should have it's money. They are not interchangeable. If you can't afford a paycheck one month (or often times many months).... don't take one. The #1 failure that I have witnessed over the years is people who are living out of their company. I prefer to look at it as "That's not my money". That belongs to ______________ (insert company name here)

We're still finishing up on the construction of our new place, but here are a couple of progress shots
tile.jpg
reception.jpg
flooring.jpg
. The tile work and wood floors I did myself, but the carpet was laid by professionals.

That's a great idea, to follow the dentists' advice, so much is applicable to both services

Good luck to you both, and be patient, client base will come and soon you'll be booked up and steady

I think you need a catchy name. I submit, “10 top Yoga and Private Stock Acupuncture.”
You mean Goosfraba is already taken? :D Anger Management may have been on TV recently...:rolleyes:

Congrats again, Shawn! Best of luck, seems like a great combo. I don’t have much advice. I have a friend who has her own studio. I know she does destination workshops thru the year. I think people eat that up. Who doesn’t want to reset on a beautiful beach? I’ll see if I can put her in contact with you.

Congrats on taking the plunge.

A lot of would I would suggest has already been stated. I would second everything Les has said. Especially the part about having a good accountant. I might even suggest a second. It's nice to have one off the record to explain how the world really works.

Again, congrats. I can't wait to get stuck! :p
EXP 2020 preparty poking?

Back