FRFR recommendations?

RallyFanatic

Perpetual musical mid-life crisis
Hi there - I’ve had a headrush gigboard for about 6 months and over the last few days I’ve finally ‘got it’ in terms of setting it for sounds I actually really like. I’ve mostly been using it through studio headphones and occasionally through ancient JBL 3.5” monitors I previously used as computer speakers.

Now I want a bigger sounding, headphone-free solution for home use. I was thinking of a pair of headrush frfr 108’s, but I know zilch about this stuff - any recommendations I should consider? Things I should look for or avoid in a frfr? My tube amps are still king, so I don’t want to spend a fortune here, but I also don’t want it to sound like garbage.

Let me know what you think!

I gigged a Helix for 2 years. I used an EVZLX12P as my FRFR cab the whole time. I would set the mode to "live" and it was great. Prior to that I used Rivera amps/cabs loaded with EVM12L speakers mixed with a Marshall 1936 loaded with G12T-75s. The ZLX12P gave me the same tone as the Rivera/Marshall cab blend.

Inside the Helix I used a Vox silverbell 2x12 blended with a Marshall greenback 4x12. All the factors together gave me the tone I was looking for.

Headrush’es are killer and stupid cheap. Go for the 12’s, barely more cash than the 8’s and sound really good, fuller while very good when ran at bedroom volume.

I wanted to run 2 for stereo - I was concerned that 2 12’s would be too much, but I do run a Marshall 2x12 now with my tube amps so maybe I’m over thinking it...

How much do you want to spend? That’s the key here.

That said, I have a CP8 as well and like it. But if I had to do it over again, I’ll tell you what 3 different guys who do FRFRs for a living told me. “Get the best RCF you can afford.”

Headrush’es are killer and stupid cheap. Go for the 12’s, barely more cash than the 8’s and sound really good, fuller while very good when ran at bedroom volume.

+1 Paul. I have both 108s and 112s. I use the 108s at home and the112s in our rehearsal studio. I’d get the 112s. Still inexpensive and not that much more than 108s. Both sound good though (and I use them with my Headrush board and Kemper). They sound good at any volume, but they can be very loud (2000 watts active).

Hi there - I’ve had a headrush gigboard for about 6 months and over the last few days I’ve finally ‘got it’ in terms of setting it for sounds I actually really like. I’ve mostly been using it through studio headphones and occasionally through ancient JBL 3.5” monitors I previously used as computer speakers.

Now I want a bigger sounding, headphone-free solution for home use. I was thinking of a pair of headrush frfr 108’s, but I know zilch about this stuff - any recommendations I should consider? Things I should look for or avoid in a frfr? My tube amps are still king, so I don’t want to spend a fortune here, but I also don’t want it to sound like garbage.

Let me know what you think!

It depends on what you're planning on using the FRFR for...for home use, the 108 is more than adequate. For stage use, the 112.

Like you, I also own a HR Gigboard, but only plan on practicing at home (headphones are much too loud and non-adjustable, save at the HR master volume) or in small coffee house/cafe venues. My reason to go with the 108s is that it's always possible to plug a line out from the 108s into a house mixer and PA, thereby doing away with the need for lugging wedge monitors or a PA to your gig (the house supplies the PA & mixer).

If you must, the 112 will provide more bass response, but the 108 does a good job despite its compact size. And here's the catch:

Best way to tell is to locate a retailer who has either model in stock, and check it out for yourself. (That being said, a buddy and I drove 85 minutes towards eastern MA earlier this year to Guitar Center before Covid-19 to check out a NIB 108, which was purchased after hearing my Gigboard through their floor model 108. Only one of 2 in New England, the other in Nashua, NH. Test-driving a 108 or 112 will be darn near impossible until businesses re-open)

Last edited:
At home, I run my Axe Fx III through Studio monitors, Presonus S8 Scepters, and it sounds killer and can get as loud as you’d want. For a cheaper option, their Eris line is hard to beat. Live, I use the Atomic CLR Neo MkII or the RCF NX12SMA, both world class options.

If you’re going home use only, any good quality set of powered studio monitors with a decent size woofer (6 or so and up) is a great multi-tasking value.

Ironically, Nashua is 15 mins from me, but no use now. I think I’ll grab one online and give it a whirl.

Just remember that Covid may prevent you from returning an item until restrictions are lifted. Be sure of what you think is needed, because the item you buy may be the one you will keep for awhile.

Beginning note: I have played through Atomic CLR's, so I know them well for comparison to the following:

I own/use all of these depending on the situation-

1. Mission Engineering Gemini 2 2x12 coaxial - If I want to beat the drummer and bass players @$$e$, you know... move some serious air, this is THE weapon
of choice in my arsenal of FRFR

2. Xitone MBritt convertible closed/open back 1x12 coaxial - This is #2... not as heavy physically as #1, but still not a lightweight to tote, but plenty of sound!

3. Line 6 Powercab Plus - When I want a lightweight solution that sounds good, I use this in the backline.

4. JBL EON615 PA speakers as sidefills (normal band gig sidefills). - This is my typical gig night since my drummer and now my bass player have all gone electronic into the monitoring system. We can get all the noise we need with 2-4 of the JBL EON615's in any venue we play. Lazy me uses this for FRFR 90% of the time now.

Atomic's are great, but side by side, I preferred the Mission Gemini 2 2x12 over them! Personal preference.

Beginning note: I have played through Atomic CLR's, so I know them well for comparison to the following:

I own/use all of these depending on the situation-

1. Mission Engineering Gemini 2 2x12 coaxial - If I want to beat the drummer and bass players @$$e$, you know... move some serious air, this is THE weapon
of choice in my arsenal of FRFR

2. Xitone MBritt convertible closed/open back 1x12 coaxial - This is #2... not as heavy physically as #1, but still not a lightweight to tote, but plenty of sound!

3. Line 6 Powercab Plus - When I want a lightweight solution that sounds good, I use this in the backline.

4. JBL EON615 PA speakers as sidefills (normal band gig sidefills). - This is my typical gig night since my drummer and now my bass player have all gone electronic into the monitoring system. We can get all the noise we need with 2-4 of the JBL EON615's in any venue we play. Lazy me uses this for FRFR 90% of the time now.

Atomic's are great, but side by side, I preferred the Mission Gemini 2 2x12 over them! Personal preference.

And I kick these with the following in order of preference-

1. Fractal Axe FX IIII
2. Line 6 Helix
3. Kemper Stage

Stage and Helix are about a tie. Axe III gets the edge and is my current gigging rig.
Helix I use for church band.

Ironically, Nashua is 15 mins from me, but no use now. I think I’ll grab one online and give it a whirl.

What model did you settle for, the 108, or the 112?

Here's a caveat and a clue: Each HR FRFR has a button on the back of the FRFR that is a "Contour" button. If you switch it in, the FRFR's EQ changes to a more scooped response with added bass and treble. Switched out, a more natural response curve. One purpose may serve better in varied situations, so be aware of that.

Also, be sure to connect to the 1st of the two ¼" TS inputs (you'll need a TS insert or instrument cable), and dial in your volume accordingly. There are 2 XLR/1/4" inputs in back, as well as a XLR line output for connecting to your outboard mixer. It doesn't take much to provide loud volume, given that the 108 and 112 both pack 2000W peak, but more accurately, 800W RMS.

Last edited:
I have a Boss GT-100 that I used to play exclusively on headphones because I live in an apartment. I got sick of that after a while and looked into buying an FRFR setup.
I went with the Headrush FRFR 112. It’s stupid loud but even set to 1.5 on the volume knob in the back sounds great. For the amount that I paid, I can’t complain. They feel pretty well put together and you can have it tilted up, or on a tripod, standing straight up etc.
The only downside is some of my patches on the GT-100 were in stereo, so now I might need to buy another one :D

What model did you settle for, the 108, or the 112?

Here's a caveat and a clue: Each HR FRFR has a button on the back of the FRFR that is a "Contour" button. If you switch it in, the FRFR's EQ changes to a more scooped response with added bass and treble. Switched out, a more natural response curve. One purpose may serve better in varied situations, so be aware of that.

Also, be sure to connect to the 1st of the two ¼" TS inputs (you'll need a TS insert or instrument cable), and dial in your volume accordingly. There are 2 XLR/1/4" inputs in back, as well as a XLR line output for connecting to your outboard mixer. It doesn't take much to provide loud volume, given that the 108 and 112 both pack 2000W peak, but more accurately, 800W RMS.

Thanks, I got the 108 - should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I have 45 days to figure out if I want the 112 instead, or if I want to add a second 108, or go in a different direction all together.

Definitely some great recommendations in here, and if this were my main rig I’d definitely explore those more. As it is, I like the Headrush to access amps I like but can’t justify having stacked up around my small house, and I also like it for saving some wear/tear on my tube amps while getting notes out of my head or learning a new song - or with headphones late at night to keep the neighborhood happy.

From what I heard the 108 has greater tendency to fart out because of the smaller speaker when turned up high. The 112 handles higher volumes better, that is if you’re even going to play that loud.

Thanks, I got the 108 - should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I have 45 days to figure out if I want the 112 instead, or if I want to add a second 108, or go in a different direction all together.

Definitely some great recommendations in here, and if this were my main rig I’d definitely explore those more. As it is, I like the Headrush to access amps I like but can’t justify having stacked up around my small house, and I also like it for saving some wear/tear on my tube amps while getting notes out of my head or learning a new song - or with headphones late at night to keep the neighborhood happy.

From what I heard the 108 has greater tendency to fart out because of the smaller speaker when turned up high. The 112 handles higher volumes better, that is if you’re even going to play that loud.

FTR, the HR Gigboard has the ability to mitigate flubby bass with both graphic and parametric EQs, so take advantage of the useful tools the Gigboard already has...

Also, if perhaps you might need a couple websites that sell speaker IR packages that will help improve your speaker output...here ya go...I've several from 3sigma, choptones, and at least one from Marco...

https://www.3sigmaaudio.com

https://www.choptones.com

https://www.marcofanton.it/patches.html

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/

https://redwirez.com

I love my Powercab, looks good, very light & sounds killer. When I use the built in speaker modelling I tend to leave it in Creamback, but when using bought presets, leave it to their IR or stockcab.

Back