Fretboard Woods

I almost put a perny board on my last PS. As I was pondering how it would fit with the koa top, Paul Miles offered to cut a board off of the side of my top wood - that struck me is pretty cool, so that's what I went with.

My acoustics are all ebony boards, though the Birds of a Feather has some koa on it.
I love Koa for aesthetics. I nearly went with a Koa top for my first PS build, but I figured I needed to knock out that tropical water color quilt that’s been in my head for years first. I already have Koa Sister 1 for that Koa itch. Curious how a Koa fretboard would sound. Is this a currently build in the oven?

I love Koa for aesthetics. I nearly went with a Koa top for my first PS build, but I figured I needed to knock out that tropical water color quilt that’s been in my head for years first. I already have Koa Sister 1 for that Koa itch. Curious how a Koa fretboard would sound. Is this a currently build in the oven?
No, long finished.
It’s really hard to say what the impact of the koa board is on this guitar, which is why I didn’t add it to my necks comparison. Maple neck, koa board and top, obeche back
Put on the spot I would say the koa board is probably in the same ballpark as if I had used a maple board.
CK_513AlohaTopGloss.JPG

I'm in the everything affects everything camp. I tend to like less biting highs, but any guitar can have that removed with a pickup change. The thing about PRS Guitars that thrills me is that no two seem to sound or feel the same. It's a great excuse for having a huge variety. I went through that Tele sound, that Strat sound, and that LP sound. My brain got chemically altered when I got my first PRS, a lowly SE Singlecut with 2-P90's intended to be a backup guitar. It got pressed into service when I was playing "Once on This Island" at a local school. I was gobsmacked at the intonation, and how it blended with all the other instruments in the orchestra (wealthy private school with a big budget). All the other brands went bye-bye. Every wood used in every part brings something sonically incredible to the table. PRS seems to consistently have the best woods. I'm really happy to hear what others think.

Last edited:
I’m a fan of Ziricote, mainly down to cosmetics! I find it hard to believe that a fretboard can have an overall effect on the tone of a guitar, due to everything else that going on.

Does it look good, does it feel nice, are you happy? It’s the right choice for you!

I'm in the everything affects everything camp. I tend to like less biting highs, but any guitar can have that removed with a pickup change. The thing about PRS Guitars that thrills me is that no two seem to sound or feel the same...
I tend to agree. I have multiple Custom 24's and they all have their own tonal characteristics. However, I think there is more to it than just the woods. Taking the factory tour, I noticed that there is still very much, a huge amount of manual work that goes into the Core guitars. From woodworking to electronics & pickups. IMO, the fact that each guitar is largely crafted by hand, there tends to be more variance than other manufacturers who automate much of the guitar making process. This by no means is a bad thing. Each guitar has its own character and strengths. In terms of wood selection & tonal differences, take a look at this video.
This guy simply changes necks from a Maple fretboard to a Rosewood fretboard and back again. I was surprised with the results. I was expecting the tonal qualities to be vastly different, however they were almost indistinguishable. Having said that, I was able to pick the maple board, but the difference was far less pronounced than I was expecting.
My expectations of hearing more of a difference comes from my own collection of PRS, (Namely CE models) where my maple fretboards, sound vastly different tonally to my Rosewood boards, but have the same Mahogany body and pickup combinations.
Anyhow, yeah a very interesting topic.

My favourite is a dense, well dried/treated piece of rosewood. On guitar, anyway.

On bass I really like an old fashioned lacquered maple board.

I find it hard to believe that a fretboard can have an overall effect on the tone of a guitar, due to everything else that going on.

When you fret a note, the string comes into contact with a fret. When the note is plucked with the string in contact with the fret, you’re vibrating the fretboard.

The attack portion of a note is the first thing the ear hears. The attack defines the note. The fretboard is the “first responder” to a fretted note. It’s very direct. It’s going to pick up that note attack.

Is it any wonder that fretboard wood differences seem to be most noticeable on note attack?

If you listen and concentrate on the attack of the note, you’ll hear how the fretboard wood affects tone. Just be patient and thorough. It’s there to hear.

It’s story time, kids:

One evening at dinner a year or two ago, I was explaining to my daughter, her husband, and my wife that picks sound different. They laughed. They rolled their eyes. “Oh Dad, you’re going off the rails again.” :rolleyes: So I said, “When we get back i’ll demonstrate. I did. Everyone was amazed, except my wife, who has significant hearing loss, and was the only one who couldn’t hear it.

Sometimes the smallest, least-expected thing will surprise you. As I said, it’s there to hear. This doesn’t have to be taken on faith; it’s easily proved.

Last edited:
A good fretboard is really dense and lets notes ring out loud and clear. A 'bad' one doesnt just kill sustain but you lose a whole top of top end. You can hear the difference unplugged more than you can plugged in... but i find they make a much bigger difference than neck or body wood tbh.

When you fret a note, the string comes into contact with a fret.
It’s this point that makes me theorize that the neck and to a lesser extent the bridge, are vibrating the entire string from the outside, in a quantum that’s invisible to the naked eye but yet lends to tone.

So on the inside of the string, the vibrations are of metal string characteristic. But the vibrations coming from the outside are wood characteristic - similar to what you might hear in a rap tone test on a neck blank.

That to me is why some guitars sound so ‘woody’ when played acoustically. This same ‘woodiness’ comes out faithfully through the amp, because it is the string vibration itself that is behaving in a ‘woody’ manner due to the external influence of the neck and bridge.

That’s also the reason for the proverbial “putting les Paul pickups on a Strat will not give a les Paul sound”.....uh proverb.

Probably the same overall thought that you have, but just visualised differently. :)

Last edited:
No, long finished.
It’s really hard to say what the impact of the koa board is on this guitar, which is why I didn’t add it to my necks comparison. Maple neck, koa board and top, obeche back
Put on the spot I would say the koa board is probably in the same ballpark as if I had used a maple board.
CK_513AlohaTopGloss.JPG
Ah, now I remember this one! A beauty for sure! I used to think of Koa sounding somewhere in between hog and maple, so the maple reference makes sense to me.

It’s story time, kids:

One evening at dinner a year or two ago, I was explaining to my daughter, her husband, and my wife that picks sound different. They laughed. They rolled their eyes. “Oh Dad, you’re going off the rails again.” :rolleyes: So I said, “When we get back i’ll demonstrate. I did. Everyone was amazed, except my wife, who has significant hearing loss, and was the only one who couldn’t hear it.

Sometimes the smallest, least-expected thing will surprise you. As I said, it’s there to hear. This doesn’t have to be taken on faith; it’s easily proved.

Agreed. Picks are the most neglected part of our kit. People will spend $$$$ on tubes, pedals, cables etc and rarely give any thought to picks. Pick design, material and our pick technique can make a marked difference in the sound produced.

I believe you, but goodness, how does that even happen? I have a 1965 SG Special that’s got a perfect fretboard despite being in my family since new, and played by my brother, by me and by my kids with no special treatment.

I’ve never had any wear on any rosewood fretboard. I’ve played tons of vintage guitars with perfect rosewood boards.

You must be pretty hard on your guitars!

Oh, in answer to the OP, PRS has offered ebony as an Artist Package upgrade on many models, but they’ve always used rosewood as a standard because it has a tone quality that Paul Smith likes. It’s a very traditional fretboard wood for Gibson, Fender, and others.

No argument here. I'm just wondering how many rosewood fret boards have been ruined by overuse of fretboard oil. Too heavy or frequent application softens the wood between the fibers and can even turn it to mush. Untrimmed nails possibly but even with long nails you've really got to be digging in to ruin a hardwood fretboard. Heavy sweat maybe?

Last edited:
I definitely hear a difference between fretboard woods.

As a synthesist, sound designer and pro studio rat, I tend to describe sounds in terms of ADSR envelopes, harmonic overtones, etc. The caveat is that most of the differences are obscured by amp or pedal gain, so unless you’re at least occasionally a clean player, you may not hear them.

In any case, the woods tend to have different ADSR envelopes; that is, their rates of attack, decay, sustain and release vary when a note is plucked.

The ear picks up on this, it’s one of the things that makes, say, a horn sound different from a piano. Both instruments generate sine waves that sound different at the same pitch, because their ADSR and harmonic overtones are different.

If you listen carefully to the envelope of the note through a clean amp, you’ll hear differences in ADSR between the woods used in guitars.

As an example, a Maple fretboard tends to have a fast attack, and faster decay, accentuating the pick and releasing quickly for the next note. This is partially why the ear perceives it as bright, and also why it’s well-suited to chicken pickin’. Notes pop off the fretboard. To a degree, ebony also has a fast attack, and is perceived as a brighter sounding material.

Rosewood tends to have a slower, more searing attack and decay, though I find BRW a little faster than IRW, and the notes ‘ring’ a little more. Madagascar RW is somewhere in the middle, nicely balanced IMHO.

Listen to the differences between identically constructed Maple-bodied acoustic guitars and rosewood, or mahogany. You hear differences, but of course because of the amount of wood used, they’re more obvious. Nonetheless, those differences in tone don’t vanish when these woods are used elsewhere on the guitar in smaller amounts. They’re simply less obvious.

It’s not a matter of thinking that one person can hear what another can’t. It’s more a matter of knowing what to listen for. Try listening to several guitars with various fretboard woods, listen for how they accentuate pick attack, and how a note decays and releases, and you may hear these differences. Eventually, if you play a bunch of them, concentrating on ADSR, you’ll notice the similarities and differences between these woods very easily.

How do you rule out the possibility that the differences are simply due to individual guitars sounding different?

Do you think it's possible that "looking for" particular sounds affects ones perception making it more likely to find them?

Back