Fretboard Woods

Matthew Marsico

I recently had an epiphany, if people say ebony is such an amazing fretboard wood then why doesn't PRS use it? There's obviously a logical explanation but I am really interested in the difference. Oh and I know that PRS does use ebony sometimes, but why not in the regular production line. If anyone has any personal preferences, please be free to share. Thanks.

PRS probably uses it as much as anyone these days as far as electrics go.

I think Paul got his inspiration from older instruments with Brazilian boards. And that is another hardwood that is very smooth, hard and sounds great.

I have 3 PRS with ebony boards because they are so amazing in terms of tone and response. I also have one with Brazilian.

Ebony is not only scarce but abused. Bob Taylor here reveals that 10 trees are/were cut down to get one black ebony tree. Until they are felled they dont know what colour wood it is. So 90% of ebony was left to rot.

This is also informative
http://solutionsfordreamers.com/art...to_know_before_you_buy_your_next_acoustic_gu/

Ebony is my favourite fingerboard wood. I do like like rosewood at all. I have worn out two rosewood fingerboards in my lifetime so far. I will not pay more than £1,000 for any guitar with a rosewood fingerboard.

I am perfectly happy with torrefied maple (heat treated maple) as a substitute. I also have guitars with artificial fingerboards. They are fine. Hagstrom resinator, Flaxwood, and now ebonite. In future we may have to make do with artificial materials. The good thing is that they are available now and work as well (or arguably better) than wood.

I have worn out two rosewood fingerboards in my lifetime so far.

I believe you, but goodness, how does that even happen? I have a 1965 SG Special that’s got a perfect fretboard despite being in my family since new, and played by my brother, by me and by my kids with no special treatment.

I’ve never had any wear on any rosewood fretboard. I’ve played tons of vintage guitars with perfect rosewood boards.

You must be pretty hard on your guitars!

Oh, in answer to the OP, PRS has offered ebony as an Artist Package upgrade on many models, but they’ve always used rosewood as a standard because it has a tone quality that Paul Smith likes. It’s a very traditional fretboard wood for Gibson, Fender, and others.

I only have one Ebony board. It's on a rosewood neck on my 2017 408. I quite like it, but to be honest, I wouldn't say I favour it over rosewood.
I had no idea it was so scarce, so thanks for the info @merciful-evans .
I love the look and feel of a maple fretboard (on my 2007 CE 22 & 2012 305), but i don't like how easily they tarnish or discolour with use - even with proper care.

Ebony is not only scarce but abused. Bob Taylor here reveals that 10 trees are/were cut down to get one black ebony tree. Until they are felled they dont know what colour wood it is. So 90% of ebony was left to rot.

This is also informative
http://solutionsfordreamers.com/art...to_know_before_you_buy_your_next_acoustic_gu/

Ebony is my favourite fingerboard wood. I do like like rosewood at all. I have worn out two rosewood fingerboards in my lifetime so far. I will not pay more than £1,000 for any guitar with a rosewood fingerboard.

I am perfectly happy with torrefied maple (heat treated maple) as a substitute. I also have guitars with artificial fingerboards. They are fine. Hagstrom resinator, Flaxwood, and now ebonite. In future we may have to make do with artificial materials. The good thing is that they are available now and work as well (or arguably better) than wood.

Taylor has an incredible story about their Ebony Cameroon factory and their commitment to renewable tone woods worldwide. If you get a chance, check it out.

I prefer rosewood, but ebony fingerboards also feel very nice. Crazy that so much of it goes to waste. I’d love to try a katalox board sometime.

I prefer a Brazzy board, but second choice would be ebony, and third, good ole maple. I have had 3 PRS guitars with brazzy boards and to me, nothing compares to its clarity, depth, and feel. The ebony board is on my Custom 24 and notes seem to leap off of the thing. The ebony board also looks really cool against the maple neck. I’m always afraid of the ebony board cracking in temp changes though.

I don’t care for regular Indian rosewood (fretboard nor neck) because it doesn’t seem to offer any significant contribution like the other boards, however, people are always mistaking the Indian rosewood board on my DC3 for ebony because it’s so smooth, hard, and dark.

i like ebony best because old jazz guitars and les paul deluxe pros, but haven’t tried all the great stuff prs puts on a neck these days.

never had ebony crack on a guitar but seen some sad violins.

The Bob Taylor video was quite an eye opener. Funny I prefer color variations in a fretboard. Yes, all dark is nice but color variations is unique. PRS liked Rosewood and has always mentioned the tone quality, he would mention it's what marimba's are made out of.

Love ebony. Rosewood is a close second.

I’m always afraid of the ebony board cracking in temp changes though.

I've changed tempo many times with no issues. Sometimes even on purpose. Some might say my timing is not good. But I don't think it's that bad. After all, the secret to com-

TIMING!!!!

This is also informative

Thanks for this post. The acoustic I bought 40 years ago is ebony and I love it, but cutting 10 trees to get 1 is really sad. I liked the appearance of the fret board he was holding in the video. I wonder if they can reclaim the rejected felled trees?
Using "B" grade ebony might have been a readily identifiable feature for a "Forum guitar" ,,, :)

New member here and looking to get my first PRS.

I’m specifically interested in the MCCarty 594 and see guitars on dealers sites that have caught my interest with not only the already mentioned Brazilian Rosewood and Ebony, but also with a Ziracote fretboard??

Curious to hear any thoughts/opinions on Ziracote as a fretboard wood as well?

Back