Fretboard issues on se custom 24

Sorry to say but that's totally unacceptable on a brand new guitar, in my book. I returned a Gibson Les Paul for far less than that.

If I buy a brand new guitar, I expected not to have dents or dings - it's like buying a brand new car with a hole in the bumper.

Yes it is. The cracks on the edge wouldn’t bother me if everything else is good. The chip below the fret would be a no go. I’d take it to a luthier and have it looked at if everything else was to my liking.
Thanks for your message, Dogrockept.
I love everything else. I'll wait for the dealer's reply, if he can send me a new one I would prefer. The dealer is also a clothier. Maybe he can fix it and give me a warranty. I think I shouldn't ask a different luthier to work on it because of the warranty.

Sorry to say but that's totally unacceptable on a brand new guitar, in my book. I returned a Gibson Les Paul for far less than that.

If I buy a brand new guitar, I expected not to have dents or dings - it's like buying a brand new car with a hole in the bumper.
Thanks MayPRS, it's s important for me to have opinions of other owners in case the dealer try to convince me that defects like these are acceptable for the PRS Standard.
This is my first PRS and I'm not an expert guitarist. I know something about woodworks because I work in the Yachting industry as test Captain and I deal with wood repairs in the furniture so often.
It's important I can report to the dealer the opinion of PRS owner who are more expert than I am. Have a good day.

I would bet that many many SE guitars passed straight from the factory to dealers last year as the Maryland factory was closed for months. I’m assuming but i think it’s fair assessment as I also had a SE that had so many problems (I was able to fix mod of them myself but it made me less than interested in the guitar) I sold it almost immediately.

So this thing -
Got past the inspection where it was made,
Got past set-up and inspection at PRS (Do they still do this there?),
AND
Got past the dealer, too?

:confused:
...I'm pretty sure there was no setup on this guitar.
But it didn't came in the original PRS box.
It was inside the gig bag, in a Gibson cardboard box.
I expected It to be in a cellophane wrap, inside the gig bag, with a PRS box, and with a dealer's box.
For some reason it has been taken out of the original packaging, I wonder why, considering the setup hasn't been done

Might have been out on the floor as a demo guitar. Otherwise it would have come in a PRS box.

The cracking looks to me like the rosewood dried and shrunk. The fret ends look like they may be poking out a bit and may have dragged the grain open. The divot looks like open grain. The crack looks like poor fret installation.

OK, me 2 rubles...

That is totally a dent. Looks like you could use it putt a golf ball into. Yeah, wont affect playability, but unsightly for a new instrument at full price. Same goes for the crack looking things on the fretboard. Sign of a dried out fingerboard. You can fix that but its time consuming and again...should not be present when you buy a full price, new guitar. Last pic...ugh, looks like a miffed fret installation. I know they are done by a press, but I would wager if the fingerboard was dried out enough it would break off easily.

Advice, replace if possible or negotiate for some money back if there arent much left handed options you can get. Don't pay retail for something that looks used mate.

Good news guys,
The dealer just sent me the papers to return the guitar. Pick up scheduled for Monday . He says I'll receive a brand new one within the end of next week!
Thanks everybody for you advises and support!!!
Great to hear!

20210413-131538.jpg

I know that is "High magnification", but the dealer should not have shipped that guitar .... It does not do anybody any good, PRS or the dealer, especially if you get a hassle, or charged for shipping to return.

I have only had 3 shipping occasions for PRS, all from the same dealer, all perfect. It's not cool , that your initial exposure to PRS produce anxiety. A fly... in your first cup of PRS Kool Aid ...;)

Good news guys,
The dealer just sent me the papers to return the guitar. Pick up scheduled for Monday . He says I'll receive a brand new one within the end of next week!
Thanks everybody for you advises and support!!!

Glad everything worked out!

Back