Fretboard issues on se custom 24

Andrea Panisi

Hi everybody,
I'm Andrea and I'm a new member.
A couple of days ago I got my first PRS.
It's a SE Custom 24 my 2021
It sounds amazing and i love the playability but i noticed something i don't like in the finishing of the fretboard.
On one edge the flames of the wood are really open, it looks like cracked.
I also noticed a dent and a crack repaired with glue. I would like to know if you think that's normal. I emailed the dealer and I'm waiting for his reply. I can't post pics as I'm a new member.
Have a good day!

I think 3 posts and you unlock the ability to post pics. Write another post and tell us about the color. Usually that is not normal...dealer should take care of you hopefully. When you post pics "copy image address" and paste that in the IMG command.

tpQPtZB

I don't think the defects are gonna effect the playability but in a brand new guitar I expect everything to be perfect.

That's the spirit. You should expect a guitar free of blemishes if that's what you ordered. Sometimes I like to buy blemished guitars for the discounts...but if you ordered a normal new guitar it should look good.

Hard to see but I do see a dent. That looks like wood grain pitting...That can be normal because looks like its part of that fretboard grain...but that doesn't matter really. That pitting is good reason to send it back if you don't like it. I'd understand if the dealer didn't consider it as blemished. I'd say this is a case like if you were unhappy with the top's grain and wanted another example, it's not unreasonable to ask for another to be sent out.

This being a new guitar I would discuss with your dealer for sure. Maybe not return, but negotiate for a discount perhaps.

This being a new guitar I would discuss with your dealer for sure. Maybe not return, but negotiate for a discount perhaps.
Hi ThePod,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm waiting for the dealer's response.
I'm worried for that little piece that's been glued back, maybe it came off when placing the fret. Who knows if it's gonna detach?! I think I'll ask for a substitution.

Hi ThePod,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm waiting for the dealer's response.
I'm worried for that little piece that's been glued back, maybe it came off when placing the fret. Who knows if it's gonna detach?! I think I'll ask for a substitution.

...or might have to just do Return/Refund. Never a fun day dealing with a return..I guess this is internet shopping life.

...or might have to just do Return/Refund. Never a fun day dealing with a return..I guess this is internet shopping life.
You are so right. The problem is that a left handed guitarist who lives in a small town in Italy doesn't t have other options, especially now. Going out of town is forbidden by law because of the covid.
Anyway the dealer has a very good reputation, so I'm confident he's gonna do well. If not I'll email the european distributor.
I'll let you know.

Yes it is. The cracks on the edge wouldn’t bother me if everything else is good. The chip below the fret would be a no go. I’d take it to a luthier and have it looked at if everything else was to my liking.

Back