fretboard gurus needed

Roy

Still warming up
Howdy,

I'm working on an interval finder for the fretboard. I have 6 string working, I think. If you know your modes and scales, please give the finder a test. This is first beta release so please report any problems or suggestions. Any tunings or modes missing?

I'd appreciate some guidance on non-6 string tunings. Should I just ignore the lower strings for 3, 4, 5 strings? How about 7 strings? I have zero experience here.

https://royw.github.io/intervals.html

For the geeks, this is a pure html/css/javascript implementation available at https://github.com/royw/intervals

Thank you

Corrected and added tunings for non-6 string guitars (bases and ukuleles). These tunings are from what I could find googling. If you have any other tunings you use I’d be glad to add them.

tweaked UI from feedback.

Where this page shines is finding intervals by tuning, key, and mode/scale.

Thank you

Sorry, I only looked to see who had replied, so I’d know who the fretboard guru’s were

Ok seriously. Is this something that could help someone who doesn’t know a lot of musical theory? Or is it for more the scientist players?

Ok, short story, I picked up a resonator guitar a while back and had trouble finding chords and scales for the open tunings. Next was the PRS music school this year and Brian’s explanation of intervals. Combine that with a vague understanding of modes. What I wanted was an easy way to visualize so I could explore. Originally did a python program with console output. This let me visualize what I really wanted, a tool to show the intervals given the tuning, key, and mode. Thus this web page.

So to answer your question, it should be useful to explore the fretboard at any level. Beginners in standard tuning and the modes, intermediates with alt tunings, advanced with the more esoteric scales.

As I’m still at the start of my guitar journey, I’m only making guesses on what would be useful to more advanced players. So requested advice here. Also while I’ve tried to be careful in the implementation, a guru might spot any mistakes I’ve made.

My hope is that you find it useful with your journey.

Thank you

Corrected and added tunings for non-6 string guitars (bases and ukuleles). These tunings are from what I could find googling. If you have any other tunings you use I’d be glad to add them.

tweaked UI from feedback.

Where this page shines is finding intervals by tuning, key, and mode/scale.

Thank you

This may be a bridge too far, but is it possible to add a "Custom" option to the tuning menu where you can select the string pitches? That way you don't need a zillion menu options some may not be familiar with, and unique one-off tunings would still work.

I'm only asking because your tool is really cool, and I play in a wackadoo tuning...

Reactions: Roy
Great idea! Thank you.

There are more tunings than I originally anticipated, the selection might need a redesign.

I could add it to the browsers local storage. That would mean it’d be saved for the browser you enter it on. This survives power down and most upgrades. You’d have to add it for each browser you use on each system you use.

Food for thought. Thank you!

For now if you want to share your wackadoo tunings I can add them.

Just reread your reply. I think you were asking to change the string tuning label on each string to a selection of all keys so you could individually change the tuning one string at a time. I like.

Neapolitan and harmonic major are also the same. And the "acoustic scale" is (or at least I was taught in my college theory 1-5 classes) Lydian dominant because of the flat 7

You could also add half-whole and whole-half diminished scales and a whole-tone too just to cover all the "out there" bases.

I just got my homework for this evening. Thank you @jakaf3r!

I just got my homework for this evening. Thank you @jakaf3r!

Of course! This is a fantastic tool and I hope people use it to understand applied theory to the guitar rather than being frustrated attempting to translate from piano.

Let me know if you have theory questions. Scales, chords, etc. There's no reason for me to hoard all that knowledge for myself.

@Rhythmisking wackadoo tuning now available! Choose "Custom" in the tuning dropdown, then some string choices will appear that you can set. Note, these choice are persistent so when you go to another tuning then return to your custom, they should still be there. It's a little muddier if you switch number of strings, then custom tuning. It will try to use your last custom strings...

Other changes include:

* Persistence should work on all settings. Note this is on a per browser basis (ex: chrome and safari do NOT share persistent data).

* Root notes now have a yellow circle, non-root have cyan circles.

* Tunings should only show tunings for the selected number of strings.

* Minor UI tweaking...

A couple of questions for y'all:

* Is octave notation useful? I currently use octave notation for some tunings (when I found it). Should I try to convert all tunings to octave notation?

* Would it be useful/interesting to shade the fretboard by octave?

I've had a report of accidentals being hard to read on an android. Please send any issues like this to me. Screenshots + system info much appreciated.

https://royw.github.io/intervals.html

Enjoy!

Back