Fretboard Conditioner reccomendations

TRJC24PRS

Possibly A New Member
I've done a lot of research on what is good and what isn't for my fretboards but I haven't figured out what kind of conditioner to use.
Any suggestions?

PRS makes their own, for RW boards...but do not use too much, and once a year is usually good, unless you keep the guitar in a overly dry, or humid environment...
I usually hit mine once a year, as I always try to change strings one at a time...to avoid any neck changes, with exception of the time I oil the board, than all strings come off...

PRS makes their own, for RW boards...but do not use too much, and once a year is usually good, unless you keep the guitar in a overly dry, or humid environment...
I usually hit mine once a year, as I always try to change strings one at a time...to avoid any neck changes, with exception of the time I oil the board, than all strings come off...
What do they use in it? Any petroleum distillates?

and what about the Brauna Preto (also called Louro Preto) fingerboards of the Reclaimed Wood models?

My instinct is to leave it alone and just clean it with a damp cloth occasionally. Its what I do with most boards.

Is there any product to clean the grime from fretboards without actually moisturizing it? I hate seeing the dirt in the grain of the fretboard but I do not want to overcondition and damage the fretboard by using fretboard conditioner to clean the board.

I've used the PRS conditioner on both of my reclaimed boards with no side effects. I figure they used to be posts in the ground in Brazil for a long time so some conditioner shouldn't hurt it.

Is there any product to clean the grime from fretboards without actually moisturizing it? I hate seeing the dirt in the grain of the fretboard but I do not want to overcondition and damage the fretboard by using fretboard conditioner to clean the board.
Naptha is a great grime cleaner

FretDoctor is great, a little goes a long way. The Lizard Spit is good as well. I would never use naptha on my guitar. Use a good conditioner and clean your board by wiping it down when it is wet. Naptha strips the oils right out of wood.

FretDoctor is great, a little goes a long way. The Lizard Spit is good as well. I would never use naptha on my guitar. Use a good conditioner and clean your board by wiping it down when it is wet. Naptha strips the oils right out of wood.

Most people including techs and luthiers use naptha for cleaning. It has to remove some surface oil in order to remove all the greasy matter your fingers leave behind. After which you use a conditioner to replace any oils the wood need. Naptha evaporates extremely fast without residue and doesn't damage nitro or poly finishes and is generally used for cleaning before conditioning the fretboard with something else. Fretboards always lose oil naturally over time regardless. Which is why we treat them to some kind of light oiling periodically.

Most people including techs and luthiers use naptha for cleaning. It has to remove some surface oil in order to remove all the greasy matter your fingers leave behind. After which you use a conditioner to replace any oils the wood need. Naptha evaporates extremely fast without residue and doesn't damage nitro or poly finishes and is generally used for cleaning before conditioning the fretboard with something else. Fretboards always lose oil naturally over time regardless. Which is why we treat them to some kind of light oiling periodically.

I know. It is what a lot of people do, and what a lot of techs use. However, I have had the opportunity to play a lot of vintage guitars. Many of those old Gibson and Fender rosewood boards are almost sealed from playing, and the fretboards are smooth, dark and glorious, filled with "greasy finger matter" without being dirty. And the frets aren't falling out. They look and play sooo nicely---so much better than a dry board with open pores. I see the point of cleaning a fretboard---I gig in sweaty and humid environments constantly. I see no need to ever remove any oils---mine own oils included.

I was pretty pissed once when a "tech" that was working on pickups for my old 335 (I brought new strings for after it was done) decided to "clean" my fretboard with naptha. It wasn't dirty in the first place. I never asked him to do it, and it didn't even look like the same piece of rosewood after he yanked all the oil out of it.

I see the point of cleaning a fretboard---I gig in sweaty and humid environments constantly. I see no need to ever remove any oils---mine own oils included.

I was pretty pissed once when a "tech" that was working on pickups for my old 335 (I brought new strings for after it was done) decided to "clean" my fretboard with naptha. It wasn't dirty in the first place. I never asked him to do it, and it didn't even look like the same piece of rosewood after he yanked all the oil out of it.

Yeah, some people are a bit overzealous and probably do more harm than good. You normally don't really need to clean the fretboard often. Just the conditioner will do most of the job if you use that on occasion when it's starting to look dry. If you have some weird waxy buildup 1/8 inch falloff from your frets like I see some used guitars, or just bought something that looks a bit suspect or was getting something done to the frets like a dressing i'd probably get out the naptha. But it's not a routine thing at all unless there is some serious gunk.

Back