Fretboard binding. In or out?

Do you want a fretboard binding on PRS core guitars?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it really depends on the guitar. It isn't on my Paul's, and I certainly don't wish it did. I have it on my Les Paul and definitely prefer that to the Studios that don't.

And I thought that was a little pipe.

Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-Episode.gif

I think it really depends on the guitar. It isn't on my Paul's, and I certainly don't wish it did. I have it on my Les Paul and definitely prefer that to the Studios that don't.
Agree.
PG, Santana, McCarty, DGT, Tremonti, Hollowbody (plus more PRS models) should come without the plastic fretboard binding.
Some of them mentioned have no plastic binding anyway today.
Unfortunately, Santana and McCarty got that binding few years ago though.

I guess, I miss the PRS from approx. 2005-2015 years.
SC245, SC250, stoptails, McCarty and Santana without plastic fretboard bindings.

Current voting shows (so far), majority does not want the plastic binding on PRS core line-up, thus hope to see this one day in future at least in some of the classic offerings :)

I like it, but it would depend on the model and finish.

Also, some of the better looking binding I have on guitars is flamed maple or koa, so binding needn’t be limited to plastic.

I don’t like binding because I wear through frets. Binding makes fret replacement needlessly more difficult and expensive.
Binding doesn’t necessarily make things more difficult, just stay away from Gibson style biding with nibs. Instead, run the ends of the frets over the binding as if it were part of the fingerboard.

Never liked binding on necks. The old PRS Core models without it were so elegant, I thought. Fine, for those who like it, but make it an option.

Actually, it's more than a looks thing. (gilding the lily?) but there's a certain rounding over of the fretboard that's important to me, and binding sort of keeps that squarer, unless it sometimes is rounded, too. I don't like the looks, though.

Last edited:
I like the way it looks on Gibsons or on guitars with block inlay fret markers. PRS with the birds looks great without it.
But TBH I had to go look at my S2 CU 24 to see if it had, I couldn't remember.

I cannot convey how much I hate binding. I love PRS models that have no neck binding and natural body binding - it was a huge part of the initial draw towards PRS as a brand for me. I feel like these days I’m forced to choose between my hate of tremolos and my hate of binding with PRS. I’m hoping they put that dusty waring hard tail bridge on the stock CE24 as an option and maybe add the 08 mini toggles too, or maybe one day I’ll win lotto and can private stock that config.
Too many hates.

Back