Fretboard binding. In or out?

Do you want a fretboard binding on PRS core guitars?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was referring to your statement as to the purpose of the website; I remember speaking with the folks who were just getting it started and one of the main themes was to create a sense of continuation of a PRS-centric community - this after the original (non-factory sponsored) PRS Forum closed their doors, and other sites seemed to be having issues.

Seems that community means a certain degree of mutual kindness, though I fail at this myself far too often (but I'm working on it!). In any case, I think that the comment made was a bit thoughtless, and I wouldn't do it.

As to taking things too personally, I'd have to agree, though I clearly deserve a trophy regardless! ;)
I’d say we do have a very PRS-centric community. Sure, occasionally we have the haters on here or the spammers like we had the other day, but for the most part everyone seems to be very pro PRS.

When you have a gathering of this many people you are going to get a variety of tastes and opinions, some you like / agree with and some you hate / disagree with. The key to making it all work is to respect each others opinions whether you like them or not. And remember, they aren’t personal attacks just opinions.

I’d say we do have a very PRS-centric community. Sure, occasionally we have the haters on here or the spammers like we had the other day, but for the most part everyone seems to be very pro PRS.

When you have a gathering of this many people you are going to get a variety of tastes and opinions, some you like / agree with and some you hate / disagree with. The key to making it all work is to respect each others opinions whether you like them or not. And remember, they aren’t personal attacks just opinions.
I don't disagree with a word of this.

Hey, I make no claim to perfection!

I was referring to your statement as to the purpose of the website; I remember speaking with the folks who were just getting it started and one of the main themes was to create a sense of continuation of a PRS-centric community - this after the original (non-factory sponsored) PRS Forum closed their doors, and other sites seemed to be having issues.

Seems that community means a certain degree of mutual kindness, though I fail at this myself far too often (but I'm working on it!). In any case, I think that the comment made was a bit thoughtless, and I wouldn't do it.

As to taking things too personally, I'd have to agree, though I clearly deserve a trophy regardless! ;)

I must admit that I have made some 'personal' feelings known - not intentionally to upset or hurt any 'owners' or be critical of their 'cosmetic' choices, although it has been taken that way.

For example, I really don't like the look of 'flamed maple stained' backplates that really stand out/clash with the Mahogany back for example and much prefer black plastic - although I much prefer grain and colour matched so they 'disappear' altogether. I happened to say I don't like the 'back-plates' myself, on a Private Stock post with stained maple plates and then felt 'attacked' by expressing a 'personal' opinion about my own preferences by others. I don't like 'Blue' guitars at all - would never own one and even if given one, I couldn't bring myself to want to 'try' it so would sell/give away but I am not 'hating' on people that love/play Blue guitars or going to be too 'positive' about a blue guitar - its a 'personal' thing alright, my personal feeling, opinion, preference etc and not meant to offend others...

I also think that most here in general are very open to a discussion and wouldn't take it personally if someone has differing opinions. If we were discussing 'fretboard binding' and I posted my 594's as 'examples', if someone said they hated the look of those due to the binding, its not 'personal'. I can understand more if you are on NGD post or 'dealers' post showing off their 'new' guitar, it maybe bad form to go in and say I really hate your choice to buy a Blue Guitar, I really hate your choice to put stained backplates on - its ruined it (not that I do or would), then its probably better not to say anything. I have also come to know which 'dealers' Private Stock choices I'm more inclined to fall in Love with and which I know is definitely not my taste at all so avoid so I don't say something wrong... LOL

Point is there is a 'learning' curve to know when/where you maybe are better off not sharing your preference/opinion and maybe start a 'discussion' piece - For example, Back plates - the less visible the better or the more stand-out they are better? instead of saying I dislike Stand-out Back-plates on a dealers new PS post as I did once... LOL

I must admit that I have made some 'personal' feelings known - not intentionally to upset or hurt any 'owners' or be critical of their 'cosmetic' choices, although it has been taken that way.

For example, I really don't like the look of 'flamed maple stained' backplates that really stand out/clash with the Mahogany back for example and much prefer black plastic - although I much prefer grain and colour matched so they 'disappear' altogether. I happened to say I don't like the 'back-plates' myself, on a Private Stock post with stained maple plates and then felt 'attacked' by expressing a 'personal' opinion about my own preferences by others. I don't like 'Blue' guitars at all - would never own one and even if given one, I couldn't bring myself to want to 'try' it so would sell/give away but I am not 'hating' on people that love/play Blue guitars or going to be too 'positive' about a blue guitar - its a 'personal' thing alright, my personal feeling, opinion, preference etc and not meant to offend others...

I also think that most here in general are very open to a discussion and wouldn't take it personally if someone has differing opinions. If we were discussing 'fretboard binding' and I posted my 594's as 'examples', if someone said they hated the look of those due to the binding, its not 'personal'. I can understand more if you are on NGD post or 'dealers' post showing off their 'new' guitar, it maybe bad form to go in and say I really hate your choice to buy a Blue Guitar, I really hate your choice to put stained backplates on - its ruined it (not that I do or would), then its probably better not to say anything. I have also come to know which 'dealers' Private Stock choices I'm more inclined to fall in Love with and which I know is definitely not my taste at all so avoid so I don't say something wrong... LOL

Point is there is a 'learning' curve to know when/where you maybe are better off not sharing your preference/opinion and maybe start a 'discussion' piece - For example, Back plates - the less visible the better or the more stand-out they are better? instead of saying I dislike Stand-out Back-plates on a dealers new PS post as I did once... LOL
Very good points, indeed!

I'm agnostic about back plates; I wouldn't even bother with the matching back plate thing on a PS, and the ones I own use the Core plates.

I see nothing wrong with the materials they use on the Core models. But I have no objection to other choices, they're all good -

Thank you guys for participating the voting and sharing your thoughts too!
Happy to read your replies and interesting fact to see that the majority opted for the ''no binding PRS'' option.

It was just a curiosity voting.
At the end of the day, we will play/buy guitars we like and that is all fine :)
Enjoy music!

Back