Fretboard binding. In or out?

Do you want a fretboard binding on PRS core guitars?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really wonder what the inspiration was for putting binding on the “Retro”?

I don’t think I’ve ever recalled seeing Carlos play a Pre Factory with binding. Was the single pup guitar he borrowed from Howard Lesse for ZeBop with binding like the Golden Eagle?

It just seems weird they’d make all these period correct corrections like the heel, headstock, and janky backplate and then add binding.
Because binding is retro, whether or not it's Carlos-retro?

Don't you think all this binding brouhaha is much ado about nothing? It doesn't affect playability or tone, except in a possibly positive way, ie. fret ends.

And isn't 'brouhaha' a wonderful and useful word? I ask you! ;)

I don’t think I’ve ever recalled seeing Carlos play a Pre Factory with binding. Was the single pup guitar he borrowed from Howard Lesse for ZeBop with binding like the Golden Eagle?

It just seems weird they’d make all these period correct corrections like the heel, headstock, and janky backplate and then add binding.
Something similar bugged the crap out of me regarding the (2011-ish, I think?) Limited Edition '85 Throwback Custom 24 guitars. They had everything "right" on those guitars (including winged tuners and the Sweet Switch!) but then they put body-matching flamed-maple veneers on the headstocks of those guitars. Yuck! Since when did '85 Customs have colored flame-maple headstocks? (Rhetorical question.)

Something similar bugged the crap out of me regarding the (2011-ish, I think?) Limited Edition '85 Throwback Custom 24 guitars. They had everything "right" on those guitars (including winged tuners and the Sweet Switch!) but then they put body-matching flamed-maple veneers on the headstocks of those guitars. Yuck! Since when did '85 Customs have colored flame-maple headstocks? (Rhetorical question.)
Rhetorical answer:

And yet they sold out that run pretty quickly, and they weren't '85s, regardless - for starters, the bridges weren't '85s. Did they have the T&Bs or whatever PRS was running at the time?

PRS is in the business of selling guitars. The guitars sold. PRS was happy. The people who bought them were happy. So why should this bug anyone? It's not like it has the slightest effect on anyone's life; don't like it? Pass. No harm, no foul.

Most of the time I very much dislike it (cheap white looking stuff). I like the wood look made to appear as binding or some purfling is cool in some cases. In other cases, the binding is ok. Some guitars it looks better on than others IMO. If I find a really nice playing and sounding guitar it wouldn't matter either way in most instances. I still lean towards no... YMMV

well said!

Here's the thing:

What you're referring to as old-school PRS was never old-school at all. PRS was a very modern guitar, even cutting edge. When PRS first started, people objected to buying an expensive guitar that didn't have the fretboard binding! I bought my first PRS in 1991 (and have owned 36 since) and I remember thinking twice about investing in a high end guitar whose maker didn't bother to bind the fretboard, because it looked cheap!

Incidentally, my first 1991 PRS was a Whale Blue Custom with a WRAP finish.

Two-piece bridges are very old-school, introduced on (at the very least) the mid-to-late 1950s Gibson models. There's nothing modern about the idea, except the PRS ones are a design that looks better and is easier to string. PRS also made an early Signature guitar with a two-piece bridge.

But regardless of what you consider old-school, I'm going to make this observation: The PRS models with the two-piece bridge sound more old-school than the PRS models with the standard stop tail bridge. If you agree that old-school is the goal, there you are: get a 594 or similar.

Re: bindings:

Plastic fretboard binding was always found on the higher-end guitars made by Gibson, Martin, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, etc. It was a feature, and is functional - it kept the fret ends from poking your hand if the fretboard shrunk, as many of them did back in the day.

When I started playing, only the cheap and cheerful guitars' fretboards weren't bound (this includes Fender, whose 'band-saw' guitars were less expensive than their competitors from Gibson and others).

Binding also followed the tradition of luthiers going back to the Renaissance and Baroque eras, when ivory was used to bind the fretboards and bodies of guitars by makers like Stradivari and his predecessors. Here's a 1679 Stradivari with a bound fretboard:

So, what do you consider 'old school'? One thing's for sure:

The early PRS models aren't old-school. They were intended to compete with the Super Strats of their day that were the hot ticket.

PRS' return to bound fretboards IS old-school! PRS' return to two-piece bridges IS old-school! If they were still making the JA with the wooden tailpiece and separate bridge it would be even MORE old-school.

I suppose one could define 'old school PRS' in a different way. But then what does one make of PRS' VERY modern floating bridge, and other design elements he patented? The winged tuners were NOT old school. The shape of the headstock was radical at the time.

Point is...let's not get into all that 'old-school' nattering. Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like, but all the other stuff is just preference and shouldn't matter to a real player.
I hear you and all makes sense.
Allow me please to paraphrase the ''old school'' thing by sharing this link including what PRS used to be some years ago:
Again, todays PRS models are surely technically better and they sound incredibly. No doubt and whoever likes them, buys them like everything else out there.

I hear you and all makes sense.
Allow me please to paraphrase the ''old school'' thing by sharing this link including what PRS used to be some years ago:
Again, todays PRS models are surely technically better and they sound incredibly. No doubt and whoever likes them, buys them like everything else out there.
All true - as mentioned, I started out with PRS in 1991. Speaking of that 2006 catalog, I had one of the 2006 NAMM show guitars, a McCarty Rosewood Soapbar with a wrap Amber Burst finish, though it isn't pictured in the catalog. Great guitar!

If memory serves, I've had 36 PRSes in the years between 1991 and today. Yes, they've changed a little cosmetically. I like the changes, though like anyone else, I have my favorite finishes.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to compromise on the appearance if the guitar does what I need an instrument to do. That's why I have some with binding, some without binding, and one in that blue/purple Northern Lights finish (I'd have probably picked a different color).

We're all different, thank goodness! Life would be very, very boring if we were all alike.

Here's what I don't understand about your initial post:

Why take the trouble to look at a photo of someone else's guitar (happens to be mine) and comment, "This example is what I dislike the most (design-wise)?"

I don't think I'd ever do that. Reminds me of someone saying, "Your wife isn't very good looking, I hate brunettes." I mean, WTF. :rolleyes:

I have it on my 594 semi-hollow. I thought I’d hate it, but I dig it. It’s a magic guitar to begin with, and the binding is not an impediment in any way. I’ve had 4 594’s, and moved them out very quickly…largely due to the weight, but this one tips the scale at 7.1 lbs, and is unbelievably resonate as all hell…no bad sounds, at all. I normally hate binding, but not on this one. Ymmv..

I don't think I'd ever do that. Reminds me of someone saying, "Your wife isn't very good looking, I hate brunettes." I mean, WTF. :rolleyes:

How many frigging times do I have to apologize for that?

mad-sorry.gif

Why take the trouble to look at a photo of someone else's guitar (happens to be mine) and comment, "This example is what I

It’s because life isn’t fair and not everyone wins a trophy. We have gotten way too soft.

Did you ever think that the person is just gauging how many people have the same thoughts? And maybe if enough people have the same wants that a manufacturer will hear them and make a model in the specs that people like or are looking for. It’s not always about you, quit taking it so personal.

As for what the forum is about.. It’s a platform for people that own or love the PRS brand to get together to discuss, both good and bad, anything PRS. If this forum was nothing more than people posting pics of their guitars and expecting to hear nothing but oohs and aahs it wouldn’t last long.

Last edited:
It’s because life isn’t fair and not everyone wins a trophy. We have gotten way too soft.

Did you ever think that the person is just gaging how many people have the same thoughts? And maybe if enough people have the same wants that a manufacturer will hear them and make a model in the specs that people like or are looking for. It’s not always about you, quit taking it so personal.

As for what the forum is about.. It’s a platform for people that own or love the PRS brand to get together to discuss, both good and bad, anything PRS. If this forum was nothing more than people posting picks of their guitars and expecting to hear nothing but oohs and aahs it wouldn’t last long.
I think you miss the point, actually.

I think you miss the point, actually.
Which point, the point where you posted a picture of your beautiful guitar on a website where someone grabbed the image and used it to show what he didn’t like and people were commenting on it? Or the point where you took everything personally?

Which point, the point where you posted a picture of your beautiful guitar on a website where someone grabbed the image and used it to show what he didn’t like and people were commenting on it? Or the point where you took everything personally?
I was referring to your statement as to the purpose of the website; I remember speaking with the folks who were just getting it started and one of the main themes was to create a sense of continuation of a PRS-centric community - this after the original (non-factory sponsored) PRS Forum closed their doors, and other sites seemed to be having issues.

Seems that community means a certain degree of mutual kindness, though I fail at this myself far too often (but I'm working on it!). In any case, I think that the comment made was a bit thoughtless, and I wouldn't do it.

As to taking things too personally, I'd have to agree, though I clearly deserve a trophy regardless! ;)

Back