Fretboard binding. In or out?

Do you want a fretboard binding on PRS core guitars?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not a fan. I can tolerate it when I want the guitar, but my preference would be without. The nice, clean look and feel of a tight fretboard to neck transition is utilitarian nirvana.

Also, I often notice that as a guitar gets more affordable, the detail on the binding suffers. Although the binding on my S2 is still good, the finish sank a little on the sides of the neck into the binding, whereas the core is perfect. I very much dislike the fact that binding is being put on SE’s now.

But, hey… at least they’re not doing nibs.

Looks good on some, not so much on others. Glad my PS CU24 does not have it as I can not see how it would have made that Hormigo fretboard look any better. My McCarty 594 HBII WL has it, but I sure wish they had used the same maple binding that was used on the body rather than the white plastic. I do think on that 594, it frames the fretboard nicely along with the nut of the same color, but would have preferred it to be all black (binding and nut). I also worry that it is just another thing to go wrong with the guitar, so in that sense I would prefer to not have it.

Where's the 'Indifferent' option?
Or 'Depends', cuz it depends on the style of guitar for me.
And either way, if it's not already rounded off, I am taking some sandpaper to the edges...

I'd like to have it on my McCarty's, but they are all pre-binding. It's fine on my '08 because I can see the fret markers and there's two at the 12th fret. My '97 and '03 markers are difficult to see in the dark and there's only one at the 12th, so I put a drop of glow in the dark paint on the markers and a longer line at the 12th.

The neck on my Bernie feels absolutely fabulous, but every time I play a S2 or Core without binding and with rounded fretboard edges, I know why I bought them. My Signature Limited is my most expensive PRS - it has binding and a great neck, but I still prefer the regular rounded fretboard edges on the “cheaper” models.

The Santana doesn’t and the SE245 does, so both.

I have a custom build with figured wood binding that looks really nice and an acoustic with the same, as it matches the binding around the body.

So still both.

What?

You wanted photographic proof. OK here you are -

“Gratuitous” photo share disclaimer TM.

What?

You wanted photographic proof. OK here you are -

“Gratuitous” photo share disclaimer TM.
Same here. My Santana Core has no fretboard binding.
PRS introduced that spec to Santana line-up some years ago though (and personally do not like it but regardless, perhaps it looks OK on other PRS models indeed).

Thank you all for voting and sharing your thoughts!

Just wondering..
Have been enjoying my PRS Santana core (without a fretboard binding) since some time ago.

These days, I am just browsing for new PRS models however I am not going to purchase one just because whenever I see this plastic white binding at the fretboard, I am kind of ''no''..

What about you?
But the core Santana is largely a different story altogether with its beautifully inset frets eliminating visible fret slots, which makes it wholly unique. I'm not sure if they still build them that way, but I've always loved that aesthetic.

Back