Fretboard binding. In or out?

Do you want a fretboard binding on PRS core guitars?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Emmanuel

Just wondering..
Have been enjoying my PRS Santana core (without a fretboard binding) since some time ago.

These days, I am just browsing for new PRS models however I am not going to purchase one just because whenever I see this plastic white binding at the fretboard, I am kind of ''no''..

What about you?

Last edited:
I like it and seem to be the only one so far that does. It is also model dependant for me. I like it on my 594 and SC-58. I also have it on my HB guitars. It kind of finishes the look of the fretboard. I have other PRS guitars that don't have it that I don't think would look as good with it.

EDIT: Thanks 11Top for joining the pro binging team with me.

Not bothered either way. I have some with (both my 594's) and 'most' without (both Cu24s, Special, HBii and 509) and I can't say either really matters to me. I would prefer 'wood' binding - maple for example - to Plastics if I had a choice. I will not buy a PRS 'wrap' style finish as I want faux binding on the Body, but I'm not so bothered about the fretboard...

I'm indifferent. I wish it was maple, but the plastic isn't a "no go" for me.
I agree. Flame maple binding would be much nicer and match the scraped binging on the body. My only thing with it is that the material the dots are made out of has to be a high contrast to the binding. That is one thing the white binding provides that I like. I have played some older PRS guitars that had small, very hard to see dots on them. I am also not a fan of the single dot at the 12th. The dots are the one mistake I made on a custom built Suhr I had made. I had to get them drilled out and replaced because I couldn't see them.

lxmT1Am.jpg
Most of the time, I’m a no but I don’t mind it on most 594’s. It accents nicely in my eyes.

I answered Yes, but only 1 of my 3 core PRSi has fretboard binding - a McCarty 594. I do not miss it in my other guitars, and frankly, it would look weird on a Custom 24. So, I could just as well answer No. I say, PRS know what they’re doing with all of their models. :)

I cannot convey how much I hate binding. I love PRS models that have no neck binding and natural body binding - it was a huge part of the initial draw towards PRS as a brand for me. I feel like these days I’m forced to choose between my hate of tremolos and my hate of binding with PRS. I’m hoping they put that dusty waring hard tail bridge on the stock CE24 as an option and maybe add the 08 mini toggles too, or maybe one day I’ll win lotto and can private stock that config.

Back