Fret height vs string gauge

alex1fly

Does anyone prefer larger gauge for larger/taller frets, or vice versa? I'm finding that my tall-fretted guitars tend to need a lighter touch as the strings can go further out of tune, so I've combated this by increasing the string gauge on those guitars. On the flip side, short-fretted guitars seem to do better with light strings.

Anyone have similar experiences matching gauge with fret height? Or not at all? Curious to hear some thoughts. I've added a few guitars to the stable this year after playing pretty much a single Strat since 2002. Not surprisingly, other guitars are different (gasp) and I'm having fun getting to know them.

My frets aren’t all over the place so my string choices are consistent. I’ve never have overly tall frets. And I don’t like really small frets. I have played guitars that had both though, and you are right that tall frets and light strings makes for a lot of “sour” chords as you bend lots of notes sharp on chording.

Learning hand pressure can take quite a while. I do use different strings on different guitars, but only for sound. It’ll probably take me the rest of my life to be a happy with hand pressure.

Back