Fret end/ Finish issue

cwgatti

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/cwgatti/media/photo.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

photo.jpg.html

Trying to show a pic of the fret ends on a PRS Singlecut. Seems like the finish is distorted at the fret ends.
Can anyone tell me what causes this?

Last edited:
my bro-in-law's 09 USA Tremonti is the same way. It's the finish. not sure why it does that though.

I haven't noticed it on my 2013 USA CU24...yet?

Is it bad? Is it something to concern myself with? I am about to buy this guitar. If It is just a discoloration I can live with it. I am afraid it is gonna start chipping...

his hasn't chipped, it doesnt look like it will chip. I'm not sure if it's gloss build up, fret glue, or the gloss literally separating from the surface beneath. So I'm not 100% sure it IS the finish like I said before.

If the fingerboard shrinks because of dryness, heat, or other environmental causes, the finish sticks to the wood and shrinks too, but since metal doesn't shrink along with the fingerboard, the finish can separate from the wood a little along the end of the fret.

Even though PRS goes to great lengths to dry the wood and prevent this, the expansion and contraction caused by extreme dryness in winter, or heat in transport in summer, etc., can cause that.

If you're the original owner it may be a warranty item. I'd discuss it with PRS. If you're not the original owner, and it bothers you, the PTC can easily repair it.

I have a bit of this on my 2011 CU24 Throwback and my 2013 Paul's. Not bad enough to warrant any intervention.

It's sure alot less severe than Hameritis ;)

I've had this happen eventually on every guitar I have ever owned that had finish over the fret ends (which has turned into a frighteningly high number over the years).
If it was me and I otherwise liked the guitar I wouldn't worry a bit about it, but, as always YMMV.

Ehh... You might want to reconsider if it's something that scares you.

This is what has happened to the finish on my KL neck:

It began as little white dots and has started flaking. While there are only two visible in this photo, its actually happening in three or four places.

Maybe I SHOULD send in my PG as it's under warranty, and the PTC was really cool about it, they said I could send it in anytime and they would take care of it.

I HATE shipping nice guitars, and I am also worried that they would have to do a refin, and although I would expect it to be a great job, I am concerned it would look different somehow. Probably irrational.

If I had one that went that way I'd be tempted to carefully scrape the finish back to the fretboard/ neck bond line and then T cut it smooth.

It's been my experience that PRS has covered this under warranty provided you're the original owner.

I have a Starla that I bought used that has this pretty bad in one big spot between the 9-13th frets on the top side of the neck. The rest of the guitar is mint and I would love to have this fixed. Would this possibly be a warranty issue?

I don't know you but if you have excessive sweaty hands that will cause this situation.My cousin hands are so sweaty it's like shaking hands with a wet dishrag!The binding on his les Paul actually lifted from the sweat,,so Gibson repaired under warranty a year and a half later same thing.This will also cause tarnished frets/and in some cases frets to lift that's one reason whyPRS glues them in.hope this helps.

PTC is very good ( Great IMHO ) about fixing things !!!!
Drop them an email you will have to send the guitar in for them to eval
It takes a bit over a month my CU22 came back like new !!!

I just bought a new "old stock" 2012 S2 Custom 24 in September that had "fret pop" in the clear coat...sent it back to the PTC and after looking at it they called me and offered to do a new build for me so I'm waiting for my new guitar to arrive...should have about a week left to go. They even let me change to a new color.

Check with them - may be warranty covered like mine was.

hmmm a few of my frets on my Custom 24 are doing that very same thing...I am the original owner, I'll have to reach out to the PTC.

I purchased a PRS S2 Singlecut from Sweeteater about 5 months ago as a backup, and the guitar went unplayed in my temp and humidity controlled room. Went to pick it up this week and noticed the "fret pop" syndrome. The clear coat was actually peeling off of the rosewood fingerboard down the side of the guitar (where the dots are). Contacted Sweetwater and they said it was most certainly a defect from the manufacturer. Sent me a shipping label same day and it's off to Maryland. Odd as I purchased 2 Singlecuts at the same time and one gets played very often with no issues and it (along with many of my other guitars) have been in the same environment.

And that, my friend is why it`s a defect. I always judge the intent of a manufacturer by their willingness to fix a warranty problem. As usual, prs delivers.

Yessir. I have been a PRS player since 1998, and they are easily my favorite guitar manufacturer in the US. Something else weird I noticed about my particular defect is that the neck around the peeling clear cloat smelled TERRIBLE. Maybe some sort of reaction with the glue/wood/clearcoat? So glad PRS took care of the situation......and the day of the complaint to boot.
The collection so far:
1998 Custom 22 (10 top) Black Cherry/Birds
1999 Custom 22 (10 top) Vintage Yellow/Birds
1998 Custom 22 Gold Top/Moons
1999 Swamp Ash Special Tobacco Burst/Moons
2015 Singlecut S2 Black
2015 Singlecut S2 White

Back