Fredrik Akerfeldt SE finish question

wesleyspecial

Love PRS guitars, and I, like Mr. Akerfeldt, am a sucker for 'pointy guitars' being a metal head. However, his signature SE is the perfect guitar for me minus one little golden detail... the 'O'. Does anyone know if it's on top of the finish or a few layers under? I'm hoping I can remove it if possible.

It's definitely under the clear coat and on top of the stain. I used to own this guitar - GREAT guitar, and the 'O' comes across as subdued, IMO. It never bothered me, personally.

The "O" is under. It wasn't as flashy as I thought it was once I owned one, but I think the guitar would have looked nicer without the "O"

It looks like the 2013 doesn't have the O you're talking about, unless I'm missing something here.

front.jpg

Actually OP, I think we have the names confused. Frederick Akesson is the one I posted above (without the O, obviously) the one you're talking about is Michael Akerfeldt, with the O. I like the Akesson one quite a bit, similar specs too.

The Akesson is a dream/tone machine... I can't put mine down. I put a set of 57/08's in mine for a more classic feel, but a hotter set like some Tremonti's or HFS/VB would spice up one of these guitars nicely too!

Whoops, I did mean Mikael Akerfeldt. Glad someone caught that! I'm hurting for the Akesson model too, but I'm dying for a trem guitar right now.

After a successful hour at a music store switching between a Custom 24 and a 245 today, I think I've decided on a Mark Tremonti Custom SE for now.
I like the color more than the Akerfeldt and found the slim neck comfortable enough for the sweet sounds I'll be getting.

Thanks for the info guys!

Well I just got a 245, and love it. And now I want another one, lol. Not sure yet though, which one. Thought about the Tremonti Custom SE too, but I think I want the Custom 24 shape, so I might go that route. Thought about the Allender model, but don't like the bat inlays at all.

@ IRG - a US 245 or SE?
I'm really surprised how beefy the SE ones are, way better feeling than a US Les Paul in my opinion, although I'm not big on the 245 pickups (I like 'em hotter). Definitely getting one after the Tremonti, right now I'm set on the Akesson, but by the time I have money for it who knows which version I'll get.

Totally agreed about the Allender model- love the colors and specs, can't stand those bats!

@ IRG - a US 245 or SE?
I'm really surprised how beefy the SE ones are, way better feeling than a US Les Paul in my opinion, although I'm not big on the 245 pickups (I like 'em hotter). Definitely getting one after the Tremonti, right now I'm set on the Akesson, but by the time I have money for it who knows which version I'll get.

Totally agreed about the Allender model- love the colors and specs, can't stand those bats!

I got the SE 245. Got a new one for under $500 which I thought was a stellar deal. I like the pickups, but might eventually change them - depends on what other SE model I get. Maybe a SD Jazz/JB combo, or a '59 combo in there. Would like to coil tap them too. I also want to change out the nut, but that will be it.

What I would like is a SE Custom 22, with 22 frets (obviously), tonepros bride like on the Catanese model, spilt coils, beveled top, basically like the US model but for less :D

Back