Freakin BOTS!!!

I don't get the reports that James and the other mods do when someone reports a post, so I didn't see the one from a few weeks ago.

We have had some new members who are just clueless when it comes to forums, but they are otherwise harmless. They might post in the wrong section (I have moved a couple of threads), or just ask really basic or obvious questions. They are probably young or just starting guitar or both. I try to see it as everyone has to start somewhere. We don't fall to Earth fully formed in knowledge and skills. I can sometimes forget that and become impatient. I'm working on that.

I'll gladly look at anything you guys feel is spam or a bot, but I'll be erring on the side of caution.

If it is something else inappropriate like members fighting or being abusive or name calling, hit the report button and Jamie will be on it. I defer that kind of discipline to the other mods.

I worked on phpBB support for many years until recently. Basically, any sign up using any kind of squiggly letter type visual CAPTCHA is useless as the bots defeated them many years ago. One of the support team at phpBB wrote a 'Q&A mod' which was eventually added to the core. With the Q&A CAPTCHA you can basically specify your own CAPTCHA system. My favorite for my boards was similar to:

"It's now 11.50hrs, how many minutes is it until 12.15pm" or similar. I never had a bot sign up successfully with this type of Q&A. Basically as long the answer to your Q&A can't be Googled the bots won't be able to defeat it.

Have a look at this topic, the code will be useless for VB use but a lot of the ideas work: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696

phpBB.com uses the Q&A + the first post is on moderation cue.

Last edited:
Holy freaking crap!

Sooooo many talented people out there!

Thanks for posting this, Alan!

Seemed appropriate.

Look up Tommy's Beatles medley. You know how they said Chet Atkins sounded like two guitar players? When Tommy starts into 'Daytripper', it sounds like two independent players. He's got so much great stuff out there - great showmanship, but he backs it up. Great sense of humor, too - the first time I saw him, he said a lot of people asked how to play his style. He said, "You have to get the thumb working" - and played a steady quarter-note bass pulse. He said that was the key - "You have to get this down. It's the foundation. So work on that thumb until you have it nailed - then just move your other fingers around and the rest is easy."

One my message board, I capture the IP address of the offending BOT or Spammer (and IPs they used to post) and put them in the banned list and leave the last octet as variable (ex. 123.56.78.xxx) xxx being the open variable. Then just delete the account and all associated posts in one click (older UBB forum).

Sorry folks, I'd been on vacation so I turned off manual registration approval. It doesn't take them long to come back.

Good catch the member got.
She probably owned the T shirt site no doubt, unless it was a malware embedded site.
I never click on the links, to dangerous.

Back