Freakin BOTS!!!

I know a few forums that had to go to a member being approved first by having the Admin look at the account before activating it.
That is one way to stop spam, but a PITA if you have a lot of legit members signing up daily.

I agree with this idea. I suppose the question is, would it be more or less work than having to delete all the spam posts and accounts?

Yeah, I was a spamtard killing machine yesterday. One of them had over 100 posts!

It's being worked on...

Yeah, I was a spamtard killing machine yesterday. One of them had over 100 posts!

It's being worked on...

There's a plugin where you can kill the account, ban the Ip, and delete all the posts by that account with 1 click. Might be worth installing. The question on the form could be about a specific model of prs guitar where they can find the answer easily but have to put some effort in which will slow them down and ultimately discourage them from going through the extra work. They get paid based on the number of valid accounts they create.

It's being worked on...

thanks for that!

There's a plugin where you can kill the account, ban the Ip, and delete all the posts by that account with 1 click. Might be worth installing. The question on the form could be about a specific model of prs guitar where they can find the answer easily but have to put some effort in which will slow them down and ultimately discourage them from going through the extra work. They get paid based on the number of valid accounts they create.

we have that plugin plus another. neither are perfect. fear not! we'll get this worked out asap

It's being worked on...
Dude, just use the spam-o-matic option. It nukes all of their posts, PM's, and every other account under the same IP. One button and done.

And they strike again

Having run forums in the past, I always wondered what was the logic behind spamming the way these people/bots do. Surely they know no one clicks any links, so is it to get their jolly's off on annoying folks?!

Unbelievable!!! I've seen less crap in an outhouse. Hope a solution is found soon. I know you're trying. These dorks need to get a life!

Stupid spammers, your links do not work, why bother posting?
And who pays them for each account they setup?

One nice thing about my forum, we have mods on the West coast, East coast, and middle USA.
There is always a staff member on 24/7, so what little spam we do get, it gets killed almost right away.
But it is very rare that we even get spam anymore, in fact I cannot even remember the last time we had spam.

I feel the pain here though, this is out of control.
One nice thing though, they have committed to only spamming the General section and not the other areas.

Maybe one idea would be to restrict new users posting abilities. On one forum I ran back in the day, spammers got so bad that I ended up making new users unable to start new threads until they had one "new guy" post which had to be approved by a moderator, and 20 replies to other threads. That forum was much smaller, so my 3 moderators along with myself were able to keep up with it, but something similar might work.

The official Traxxas forum (a relatively large forum) restricts new users to requiring 15 or 20 posts in other threads before being allowed to start a thread, so it could work here as well. It sucks "punishing" all new users, but most people are understanding when told outright "this is why we do this, keep in mind it ensures a pleasant experience for all forum visitors".

These are just ideas, since the admins and moderators have already stated that they're working on a fix, I'm sure we'll all be much more happy with whatever they come up with to combat the seemingly never ending supply of spam bots.

Maybe one idea would be to restrict new users posting abilities. On one forum I ran back in the day, spammers got so bad that I ended up making new users unable to start new threads until they had one "new guy" post which had to be approved by a moderator, and 20 replies to other threads. That forum was much smaller, so my 3 moderators along with myself were able to keep up with it, but something similar might work.

The official Traxxas forum (a relatively large forum) restricts new users to requiring 15 or 20 posts in other threads before being allowed to start a thread, so it could work here as well. It sucks "punishing" all new users, but most people are understanding when told outright "this is why we do this, keep in mind it ensures a pleasant experience for all forum visitors".

These are just ideas, since the admins and moderators have already stated that they're working on a fix, I'm sure we'll all be much more happy with whatever they come up with to combat the seemingly never ending supply of spam bots.

Then they will set their bot to post to existing threads which will be much harder to moderate.

The people running the pirate sites this stuff is contained on make massive money from sponsors and ads. They in turn pay these slime to get the spam out there. There's always money behind it...

CoreyT... Every time you click on that not only may you be installing a virus on your computer but you are confirming that what they are doing is working. It definitely is not helping the situation...

I've noticed that it's been isolated to the general forum... Maybe renaming that would break their software sufficiently enough that they will move on to better hunting grounds.

CoreyT... Every time you click on that not only may you be installing a virus on your computer but you are confirming that what they are doing is working. It definitely is not helping the situation...
I never ever click on any live links in their posts as they most surely would contain malware to try and turn my PC into a bot spamming machine too, I just look at the threads sometimes to see the gobblygoop they post.

It's to bad they're able to do this so easy as it seems it's being done every day. Although, I now see that they are posting current news events.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;191892 said:
Dude, just use the spam-o-matic option. It nukes all of their posts, PM's, and every other account under the same IP. One button and done.

Only works if they have less than 50 active spam posts. One had 51, and the other, over 100...

I could do them in groups, but not all at once...

Only works if they have less than 50 active spam posts. One had 51, and the other, over 100...

I could do them in groups, but not all at once...

Just sent you an email that will hopefully help a little bit.

Also, thanks to rugerpc, who is now a Forum Moderator and will be helping us combat spam should it get through. Be nice to him or he can edit your posts and make you look bad.

There goes the neighborhood.

I guess this means I can't argue with anyone anymore. You can still be mean to me.

I don't want to moderate you guys - I'm mainly here to kill bots.

Back