Fractal FM9...Now a Regular Aspect of My Home

Thank you!
I got a chance to spend some time with the FX board yesterday afternoon. Used the "Preset Leveling" tool within FM9-Edit to create a global unity gain across the range of presets, master volume-wise.
Used all 3 of my guitars to enable this feat. Deleted one of my piezo presets because it sounded a bit cheesy/low-fi even with the recent OS upgrade. Didn't feel like spending the next 90 minutes tweaking, so see ya.
Still have 2 other acoustic-electric presets, as well as one dedicated acoustic preset. It might be beneficial if a separate acoustic preset were also built, but these things take time...
I also dialed in better crunch and lead tones in some of my presets. I usually prefer a singing violin-like lead tone, and can tolerate mild to moderate distortion.
The issue is choosing from over 450 separate amp models...ya gotta appreciate the ability to be like a kid in the candy store when it comes to choosing amps, cabs and effects....so many to choose from...

That is a tight setup you have goin' there! Congrats!! I have to say, I've only had my Axe FXIII since Dec 29, and I am convinced it is the greatest piece of music gear I have ever bought!!! I love it even more than the PRSi I purchased last year in part because, it gets better every month with fresh updates AND it covers way more ground than a warehouse of guitars could give me!!!! My mind has been Fractaled and I ain't ever goin' back!!!!! Enjoy your setup and if you would like to share your acoustic presets, I would love to give them a spin! I have not taken the time yet to build any stuff for my acoustics (just EBMM Stingray and PRSi presets I have built so far), but I will get around to it eventually and yours may be a good starting block (although your PRS acoustic is going to have way different output than the Fishmann on my Martin J-40)!

MDW,

Thank you for your kind words. Fractal is one of the leading vendors in modeling gear, and I look forward to their upcoming v. 2.x OS release once they've done away with the current bugs that owners discover in the beta versions. And still, if you're not doing high-performance CPU-eating carnival tricks with any of your FAS devices, the current betas are relatively stable for everyday use.

If there were a way I could share my acoustic preset, I would. Unfortunately, the cab block is a 3Sigma 3rd party cab, and FAS doesn't allow .syx files with non-factory items to be shared, simply because doing so might cause a read error/conflict within your FAS device.

What I might be able to do is provide a glimpse of the preset without utilizing a cab block, and issue a disclaimer in the post stating YMMV with various cab blocks. Folks may wish to experiment anyways once the preset will be posted, and if they can improve it, that would be welcomed.

What I can tell you now is that I employed a Tube Pre amp block with 2 separate 3Sigma 4x12 Impulse 1a and Impulse 2a cab blocks. I tried building the preset with a Martin D45 piezo cab block, but the Impulse cabs sounded much better, so I kept those instead. The effects are M-Comp, Chorus, Enhance, Delay, and Reverb. I also utilized a vintage preamp in the cab blocks (relative to the mics used for the block) and kept that stock.

I've also got a PRS MAG/PIEZO preset worked out that I wouldn't mind sharing. I spent this past Monday afternoon going thru my presets and doing some preset leveling so each of the presets has enough volume prior to the FRFRs so that I'd not need tweak any parameters at a gig. Only thing I can think of that might need some adjustment at a gig might be the delay or reverb for the room or audience. All else is subtle and to taste.

For additional info, check Cooper Carter's YT video on the YT G66 site for info on setting up an acoustic preset. I didn't follow all that Cooper had said to the letter, but adjusted to what my ears preferred.

Now, with just the guitar's volume and tone knob, the tone can be either bright and articulate, or warmer/fuller sounding with less edge. A nice wide range of tones with just the guitar's controls doing most of the leg work.

Last edited:
MDW,

Thank you for your kind words. Fractal is one of the leading vendors in modeling gear, and I look forward to their upcoming v. 2.x OS release once they've done away with the current bugs that owners discover in the beta versions. And still, if you're not doing high-performance CPU-eating carnival tricks with any of your FAS devices, the current betas are relatively stable for everyday use.

If there were a way I could share my acoustic preset, I would. Unfortunately, the cab block is a 3Sigma 3rd party cab, and FAS doesn't allow .syx files with non-factory items to be shared, simply because doing so might cause a read error/conflict within your FAS device.

What I might be able to do is provide a glimpse of the preset without utilizing a cab block, and issue a disclaimer in the post stating YMMV with various cab blocks. Folks may wish to experiment anyways once the preset will be posted, and if they can improve it, that would be welcomed.

What I can tell you now is that I employed a Tube Pre amp block with 2 separate 3Sigma 4x12 Impulse 1a and Impulse 2a cab blocks. I tried building the preset with a Martin D45 piezo cab block, but the Impulse cabs sounded much better, so I kept those instead. The effects are M-Comp, Chorus, Enhance, Delay, and Reverb. I also utilized a vintage preamp in the cab blocks (relative to the mics used for the block) and kept that stock.

I've also got a PRS MAG/PIEZO preset worked out that I wouldn't mind sharing. I spent this past Monday afternoon going thru my presets and doing some preset leveling so each of the presets has enough volume prior to the FRFRs so that I'd not need tweak any parameters at a gig. Only thing I can think of that might need some adjustment at a gig might be the delay or reverb for the room or audience. All else is subtle and to taste.

For additional info, check Cooper Carter's YT video on the YT G66 site for info on setting up an acoustic preset. I didn't follow all that Cooper had said to the letter, but adjusted to what my ears preferred.

Now, with just the guitar's volume and tone knob, the tone can be either bright and articulate, or warmer/fuller sounding with less edge. A nice wide range of tones with just the guitar's controls doing most of the leg work.
Gotcha'! All good!! What you have outlined gives me some fine territory to explore!!! MAG/PIEZO preset unlikely to be in the realm of anything I would need at the moment, but thanks!!!! Cheers!!!!

Gotcha'! All good!! What you have outlined gives me some fine territory to explore!!! MAG/PIEZO preset unlikely to be in the realm of anything I would need at the moment, but thanks!!!! Cheers!!!!
MDW,
The MAG/PIEZO preset is designed for PRS Hollowbody guitars equipped with electric and piezo pickups. It will work with most any dual-pickup-equipped guitar as well. Best wishes.

Back