Fractal FM9...Now a Regular Aspect of My Home

10/07/21 UPDATE:

Fractal Audio is still moving slowly through its waitlist. Fortunately, most all of the folks who signed up with the waitlist did so in the first several days of the FM9 as being announced and released.

While the waitlist is still in its "first day" of people who signed up, the remainder of signees are awaiting patiently for the FM9's delivery, once they've paid after receiving their order invites.

FAS fans are somewhat grateful for the fact that FAS did not take their money upfront while customers had not yet received their product. Contrary to many online businesses, FAS ethically could not do so, and only requested that interested folks sign up for their waitlist until product was available. The issue might have been that money paid for a product was delayed in either production or shipping might have been a larger customer service issue, with greater chance for discontent with business practices.

I can think of several times when I've personally ordered from online businesses and been required to pre-order, or pay first and wait as shipping occurred. With a higher rate of shipping backlog this year, we might very well not be able to see our ordered products arrive when we might expect them. And, in fact, later, or much later than we might desire.

The facts we're all going to need to face is, can we be patient for our ordered products to arrive this year? We all may seriously need to pay a premium if we wish ordered products to arrive in a desired timeframe, instead of using "free shipping" and expecting our orders to arrive when they say they're supposed to, but due to delayed transit times, there may be an extended wait.

Don’t feel too bad… the waiting list for the Analogman King of Tone is serving customers who signed up in 2017! If I had the cash I’d get the III-T and the FM9… just not in the cards though!

If it’s like some past waitlists, they pick up steam at some point. Hopefully your invite will make it soon!

Don’t feel too bad… the waiting list for the Analogman King of Tone is serving customers who signed up in 2017! If I had the cash I’d get the III-T and the FM9… just not in the cards though!

If it’s like some past waitlists, they pick up steam at some point. Hopefully your invite will make it soon!

TBH,

I really don't feel bad. I just don't feel any urgent need currently. While others are impatiently guessing and speculating about when they'll receive theirs, I'm quietly estimating the timeframe based on what data is already available, and not bothering with the distractions. One FAS forum member has a spreadsheet of when folks made their request to FAS for the FM9, when they received confirmation, and if and when they received their invitations to purchase.

My best guess is that based on current data, it will be a minimum of 21 days before receiving my invitation. This is based on when others received their confirmations and also received their invitations. My estimate is based on how many units are offered per day for purchase within this spreadsheet. Currently about 5 units are sold on any given day, with 2 to 4 units alternately every other day.

That places me about October 28th onward. That is, if current supply doesn't dwindle and shipping occurs in a timely manner. If supply might dwindle, it will likely be two extra weeks added to the 10/28 first window of opportunity. Most of this educated guesswork is seen as a trend chart, with modest gains one day, followed by larger the next, then modest the following. The pattern repeats itself.

It's almost like following an investments chart while observing your money grow slowly but surely. If there were large increases every day, that might be considered suspect, but realistically, slow but sure growth is the key. And, when supply dwindles, there's a plateau that's reached.

You could also consider the process to be the same for weight loss, with increasing strength and mobility over time (if one exercises!), but plateaus that prevent us from reaching our goal.

We just need to be prepared for the occasional setback or challenge that might occur (unforeseen occurrence, or circumstances beyond our control). That way, when disappointments might occur, we don't become disheartened or too discouraged from moving forward.

This is all a realistic viewpoint that takes into account the "what-ifs" and trends based on current data. When one looks at the facts, we avoid deluding ourselves into thinking that something else might be wrong, or being overly negatively-minded.

A seedling only grows at the pace that the weather, sunlight and soil quality offers. What makes it grow I let God handle.

Last edited:
...Bottom line, if you can get along with the FM3 and the FC for that, I would stick with it. The FM9 will have the exact same tones as the FM3. If you are not bumping up against the processor limit, the FM9 is not really an upgrade. Like LSchefman said, these units will become outdated. The way I have started to look at these units is they will always be what they are unless there is a hardware failure. I have seen some old rack units selling for crazy money because people want them for the sounds they make. Those tones are tied to a time period and are sometimes the only way to get those particular sounds. Look at the selling prices of any of the Scholtz units from the 80's. The digital units of today are all capable of creating great tones. More places are requiring low or no volume stage volumes. To me, it makes sense to have both the digital unit and your amps. That to me is the huge plus of the Kemper. You can profile your amp and haul it around in a smaller light weight unit.

Yes. Leon Todd encourage us to listen to old vintage rack units for features like reverb, delay, pitch detune, etc. His video regards the Axe III describes these features available in all 3 of Fractal's current devices. Some of the old vintage rack units are highly desirable, and fetch a very good price.

im still undecided. Leaning towards keeping the FM3. But I did get on the waitlist at 1:37pm so hopefully if I change my mind ill be ready. I got on the FM3 waitlist and sold my boogie amp, and was without a quality amp for about 9 months which was pretty lame. I'm not selling the FM3 (if I ever do) until my name comes up on the FM9. I like my FM3 for fitting into my backpack when I fly somewhere for work. that would be tougher with the FM9...

You had said you signed at 1:37's waitlist. Have you received your invitation to purchase yet?

Tell you what: You did what you wanted to do. That's 99% of the battle. Along the way, you learned how to work with a Fractal, and created your own presets. I doubt most players get that far.

"What's the other one percent of the battle, Les?"

"I have no idea. But I know I'm not alone."

"How do you know that?"

"I read it on the internet."

The box of groceries on the front doorstep will be fine, Les. I'll be sure to repay the favor by feeding you in return.

I’m on the first day FM9 list, and sold my III MK 1. But after deep diving on what’s what and what I do with it, I decided to keep my RJM Mastermind GT/22 controller and buy the III MK 2. Floor-space-wise, the difference in area taken up is negligible, gives me 22 buttons with very legible displays, and it’s not like I play anywhere a 3 space rack won’t fit. The important point here is my not buying a FM9 moves you ahead one notch!!

And you, Rick, when did you receive your Fractal confirmation?

And you, Rick, when did you receive your Fractal confirmation?

Within a minute after I sent the waitlist request in… pretty much both on 8/27 at 4:37 Eastern. Mine should actually be coming up soon, and I’m tempted to try it, but am pretty certain I’ll stick with getting another III. Maybe a Turbo, just because. :eek:

Within a minute after I sent the waitlist request in… pretty much both on 8/27 at 4:37 Eastern. Mine should actually be coming up soon, and I’m tempted to try it, but am pretty certain I’ll stick with getting another III. Maybe a Turbo, just because. :eek:

Well, that's good to know. Need to (politely and meekly) ask if you're planning on giving the FM9 a pass so someone else can purchase? Would support your decision of the Turbo, especially if you've already got the foot controller for it. My estimate for cardboard box showing up is (if supply holds up) end of October/1st week November, about the same time elderly Mom comes home following injury rehab. That would be a double-y nice present.

Well, that's good to know. Need to (politely and meekly) ask if you're planning on giving the FM9 a pass so someone else can purchase? Would support your decision of the Turbo, especially if you've already got the foot controller for it. My estimate for cardboard box showing up is (if supply holds up) end of October/1st week November, about the same time elderly Mom comes home following injury rehab. That would be a double-y nice present.
Yes, my intention at this moment is to go 3T. If money was no concern (as if…), I’d love to get an FM9 just to check it out or have for the “bring a guitar and play the backline” dreaded gigs, but those are rare and only getting rarer for me, and unfortunately money is always a limiting factor. Considering all that, and that I have money put back for only one, my better long-term option is to pass when the invite comes and buy a 3T the end of the month.

It’ll move everyone else up in the queue, and I can always pick up an FM3 or 9 somewhere down the line if travel gigs ever become a reality for me again. Truthfully, I’m good being a local region guy these days! I like my own bed. :)

Yes, my intention at this moment is to go 3T. If money was no concern (as if…), I’d love to get an FM9 just to check it out or have for the “bring a guitar and play the backline” dreaded gigs, but those are rare and only getting rarer for me, and unfortunately money is always a limiting factor. Considering all that, and that I have money put back for only one, my better long-term option is to pass when the invite comes and buy a 3T the end of the month.

It’ll move everyone else up in the queue, and I can always pick up an FM3 or 9 somewhere down the line if travel gigs ever become a reality for me again. Truthfully, I’m good being a local region guy these days! I like my own bed. :)

The FAS community will applaud you if you decide to pass to the next in queue. Just remember, if you don't mention it yourself, I'll be sure to be singing your praises. You're the kind of guy who doesn't seek the limelight, but, in fact, has earned the honor of it.

The FAS community will applaud you if you decide to pass to the next in queue. Just remember, if you don't mention it yourself, I'll be sure to be singing your praises. You're the kind of guy who doesn't seek the limelight, but, in fact, has earned the honor of it.
Well, thanks! I appreciate your saying that.

3T? My ignorance is showing...:D

It's been about 10 days since my Fractal FM9 arrived...the first several days the carton sat unopened as I felt due process...and considered how the FM9 would be arranged on my Temple Audio Duo 34 board...anyway, with a little help from several folks I'd previously communicated with...here is the Duo 34 reveal...

Note the 2 left-side external switches. These will later be utilized for switching I/O various aspects of amp controls (bright, input gain, fat switches, etc). Then, the obligatory EV-1 expression pedal. And lastly, the glorious state-of-the-art bit of technology, the FM9. I've only begun to build a main rig preset (a kind of kitchen sink preset). that will serve as a practice and gigging catch-all preset. Additional presets will also be built that will add beauty and honor to an old man's quest for tone.

1UezLL4.jpg

Many thanks to the folks who made this possible. This is truly a wonderful unit that has much promise and opportunity. I look forward to many years of enjoyment with the FM9.

Last edited:
Well,

I learned that stand-in switches (the 2 left-side external ones) can only currently be utilized with whatever layout options are available, or an FM9 owner has programmed to be part of the layout grids. My No. 8 layout had been modified and was a blank slate...so I built a Utilities layout that houses 5 control switches, a tuner, tap tempo, hold reveal, and a HOME switch that takes me to layout 7 (my user preset page from the beginning).

The external switches now serve as a HOME and TUNER button, in case I ever get back into gigging and might step away from the FM9 on stage and need to find HOME from either side of my FX board (the right side has a mini-display HOME switch as well) quickly.

It'll be several days before I begin exploring the use of control switches as modifiers for various toggle features within amp and effects blocks. Am still "whetting my appetite with some tasty bits until the main course."

The FM9 indeed replaces more than 350 amp, 400 effects and 700 cabinet models, conservatively. While the sacrifice is the feel of a 4x12 pushing air on stage, the benefit is that the tone and sound quality is beyond imagination...the emulation is extraordinary. That being said, I've never heard a Pre-Rola Greenback 4x12 mic'd with various mics, or a real "D" ODS Clean, but this is indeed an amp/effect/cab collectors dream, all at a Fractal of a price. (Pardon the pun.)

12/21/21 UPDATE:

Hello, friends,

A recent update regards my FM9. Fractal Audio, after some deliberation and thought, finally provided an OS upgrade release for their FM9 product line. Things have previously kept me rather busy, what with work and my personal studies. More recently, I've taken to utilizing downloadable presets from the AxeExchange website, which provides customized presets that are already built. And, you can take away some of the effects blocks from these presets if you feel that you don't want or need them. This is indeed an improvement, which doesn't limit you to one particular preset configuration.

It's kind of like receiving a gift, but you didn't want the fancy accessory that went with it. Simply delete that accessory.

Anyway, I've currently got about 8 presets built or downloaded, but have yet to test drive them. There's one I'm looking forward to experimenting with, it's an envelope filter fuzz effect with 2 octaves down. Sounds very interesting from YouTube's G66 channel.

In other news, my Studio Slips Duo 34 gigbag is set to arrive this week; looking forward to that. After NYD, my favorite open-mic re-opens again and with some concerted practice, it may be possible to soon try my hand again at a couple songs before an audience. Will see. Best wishes. Looking forward to anything but the cold, but will appreciate a warm welcome from the local folks once my chops are up to snuff.

I've just looked out my window, and have seen lawn maintenance taking care of the gutter and eaves. Thank you. Now I can rest assured we'll have fewer ice dam incidents this year.

Last edited:
Hello, All...

Just putting the finishing touches on my Temple Audio Duo 34 FX Board with my Fractal Audio FM9 & EV-1 Expression Pedal.

One of my add-ons was a Peterson StroboStromp HD tuner that supplements my FM9's sweetened offset tuner. The StroboStomp provides sweetened James Taylor and DADGAD tunings for my PRS A60E, whereas the FM9 onboard tuner is used solely for my PRS electric guitars.

I finally learned how to program my StroboStomp with several presets that I will use regularly for acoustic thru the FM9. It took seek doing, but all has finally settled in and works correctly. The StroboStomp is now officially my go-to effect when my FM9 offset tunings would not be adequate for tuning my A60E.

Here's a pic of the recent board with StroboStomp and 2 external switches installed...

O5rkV7x.jpg

Thanks, Maxime!

The recent OS beta upgrades will really improve the life-like amp, cab, and effect qualities. The screen protectors are handmade CNC plexiglass from Gear by CEBA. The footswitch toppers are Mooer Shroom toppers, and to the left side, Barefoot Button Big Bore toppers. Reason for the 2 separate topper types is the FM9 uses one switch diameter, and the external switches from lovemyswitches.com uses a slightly larger diameter.

I've not had a chance to play thru this since the OS upgrade, but have time this week and can report back then. Hope to check out my acoustic preset with my A60E and see if this is something that could be useful at an open-mic for improved tone and sound...

Back