Fractal FM9...Now a Regular Aspect of My Home

I think the over retail prices are there because there is a market for it. There are people outside the USA where even at $200 more plus shipping is cheaper than their local dealer, or they may not have a fractal dealer in their country. I wouldn't sell below the going rate unless it was to a friend or something. If you bought a CE24 back when the going rate was $900 and sold it now, wouldn't you want to get the current going rate of $1200-$1500? How about your house?

I think the over retail prices are there because there is a market for it. There are people outside the USA where even at $200 more plus shipping is cheaper than their local dealer, or they may not have a fractal dealer in their country. I wouldn't sell below the going rate unless it was to a friend or something. If you bought a CE24 back when the going rate was $900 and sold it now, wouldn't you want to get the current going rate of $1200-$1500? How about your house?

Yep, the unavailability currently is driving up used prices. The FM3/FC12 were sold below MSRP because 1) the FM3/FC12 were both used. 2) Typically the used market price is about 55-60% below MSRP (check GC's used prices for verification). $150 to 170 below MSRP is less than 55%. 3) I just thought to make a quick sale without being too materialistic.

I just spoke with my buddy from MA. He said, "Sure, you can use your old Brunetti Singleman 35W you sold me Feb 2020. I kept that because it was such a sweet amp."

Well, woo-hoo! Now I've got something to play through while the FM9 wait list does its thing.

DO WHAT???? You sold the whole rig already? You just got it! o_O :confused:o_O

Owning 2 connected effects boards was overkill. It would have required purchasing 2 separate gig bags, most likely custom pieces. My mindset has mostly been to own the most cost-effective units, with least carrying weight that would fulfill my needs.

The Duo 34 board and EV-1 expression pedal is still in my household. Only the Duo 17, FM3, and FC12 were sold.

I realize it sounds foolish, but the FM9 is the same size as the FC12, which means the FM9 will fit perfectly on the Duo 34 board with minimal adjustments. That means when eventually open-mics return to our music scene, all that will be needed is a Duo backpack, a guitar case, and a FRFR108 gigbag wedge. One trip I/O. Faster set-up / breakdown time. Fewer trips to the bathroom. (Well, if it weren't for my diminutive bladder...I'd not need worry...)

I did the math. After eBay fees, I netted about 77% of MAP price. That's really not that bad, when many times used gear sells for less than that. In fact, that's the best return I've ever had selling used gear. TBH, I wasn't looking for profit, just a quick sale before there multitudes of FM3 owners do the same thing and try selling their gear.

I chose to sell early on eBay because later would have driven down used prices with FM3s all over the place on Reverb. That, and new FM3s will be available new again in a week or so. And TBH, folks are asking much more for their used pieces than when sold new.

Being competitively priced guaranteed a quick sale. My feeling was that if I were trying to maximize profit because of blatant greed, only a desperate person would buy an overpriced unit. I was neither greedy nor desperate, but I don't condone the folks who are asking $200 above new MAP price for used gear. There may be actual buyers who will pay that overseas, but that was not what my sale was about.

Am just going to let things ride for a time, and wait for my FM9 purchase invite. When that email arrives, you can bet your bippy my CC will be purchasing quickly. I'm just hoping I'm not stuck at work when precious time waits for no man.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like an idiot fanboi, you could buy a used Stage, play it/gain knowledge and then sell it when the FM9 was available.
You'd get all your money back except maybe shipping, but that could be considered rent/knowledge gained. :D:p

Kemper Stage - musical instruments - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Thanks for the offer...I'm just not up for the competition's gear. It took me several weeks to learn how to use a Fractal correctly, after several hours and a few weeks of YouTube instructional videos, a lot of errors that needed correction, and some concerted adjustments for tone.

"Knowledge gained" of the competition's product would be like asking me to learn how to use Win10, after years of OS X use. I just don't feel like the return of time and effort would be worth it.

Forgive me if this sound like hubris, but my friend in MA only a short drive away said he would lend me my former Brunetti 35W combo until the FM9 invite email arrives. No charge for lending; I'll likely return the favor by delivering a homemade meal to the husband and wife. (They like my cooking.)

While I've not visited the Fractal Forum today, their FM9 Waitlist thread delineates some folks who've already received their FM9 invites. Fractal notifies those on the waiting list without revealing their supply numbers (most likely proprietary information). Like others, I'll just need to be patient until the invite arrives.

At least being able to practice with an amp is enough for me. Once the FM9 invite arrives, I'll pounce on that and the rest will be learning about the new FM9 Edit software. (Essentially similar to FM3 and Axe FX III, adjusted for unit layout and firmware.)

Owning 2 connected effects boards was overkill. It would have required purchasing 2 separate gig bags, most likely custom pieces. My mindset has mostly been to own the most cost-effective units, with least carrying weight that would fulfill my needs.

The Duo 34 board and 2x EV-1 expression pedals are still in my household. Only the Duo 17, FM3, and FC12 were sold.

I realize it sounds foolish, but the FM9 is the same size as the FC12, which means the FM9 will fit perfectly on the Duo 34 board with minimal adjustments. That means when eventually open-mics return to our music scene, all that will be needed is a Duo backpack, a guitar case, and a FRFR108 gigbag wedge. One trip I/O. Faster set-up / breakdown time. Fewer trips to the bathroom. (Well, if it weren't for my diminutive bladder...I'd not need worry...)

I did the math. After eBay fees, I netted about 77% of MAP price. That's really not that bad, when many times used gear sells for less than that. In fact, that's the best return I've ever had selling used gear. TBH, I wasn't looking for profit, just a quick sale before there multitudes of FM3 owners do the same thing and try selling their gear.

I chose to sell early on eBay because later would have driven down used prices with FM3s all over the place on Reverb. That, and new FM3s will be available new again in a week or so. And TBH, folks are asking much more for their used pieces than when sold new.

Being competitively priced guaranteed a quick sale. My feeling was that if I were trying to maximize profit because of blatant greed, only a desperate person would buy an overpriced unit. I was neither greedy nor desperate, but I don't condone the folks who are asking $200 above new MAP price for used gear. There may be actual buyers who will pay that overseas, but that was not what my sale was about.

Am just going to let things ride for a time, and wait for my FM9 purchase invite. When that email arrive, you can bet your bippy my CC will be purchasing quickly. I'm just hoping I'm not stuck at work when precious time waits for no man.

Tell you what: You did what you wanted to do. That's 99% of the battle. Along the way, you learned how to work with a Fractal, and created your own presets. I doubt most players get that far.

"What's the other one percent of the battle, Les?"

"I have no idea. But I know I'm not alone."

"How do you know that?"

"I read it on the internet."

Tell you what: You did what you wanted to do. That's 99% of the battle. Along the way, you learned how to work with a Fractal, and created your own presets. I doubt most players get that far.

"What's the other one percent of the battle, Les?"

"I have no idea. But I know I'm not alone."

"How do you know that?"

"I read it on the internet."

This is true, Les, one facet of working with a Fractal was that I did learn how to work with it on 2 separate levels, both from the hardware and software viewpoint. The computer software editing program helped me improve my computer skills working with various adjustable parameters.

The remaining 1% of the battle of not knowing is people knocking on my door thinking they'd like to be guests in my house. Sorry to say, there's no party here, only me doing my work quietly; diligently.

So for the time being, feel free to guess what's happening, but don't expect to be a party guest anytime soon. Only thing I am celebrating is that my elderly Mom's medical procedure indicated Mom was in exceptionally good health, for a mid-octogenarian. We'll be enjoying some homemade Chinese House Rice Wednesday evening.

I'd recently been somewhat quiet and have not been commenting, because I'm saving my money and prefer to not order or buy anything unnecessarily, until the FM9 invitation arrives. My comment some weeks ago about going on a "retail diet" meant I won't be spending money on "another" whatchamacallit until after my FM9 arrives.

Perhaps that's a good thing. How often do you hear your wife saying, "Another one? What happened to the thing you purchased recently?"

Yeah, I'm trying to live that part down, because my personal shame stems from buying something recently and selling it, for "another one..." :oops:

How often do you hear your wife saying, "Another one? What happened to the thing you purchased recently?"

My wife knows that certain projects call for different gear, so when gear is associated with something I'm getting paid for, she's good with it. It's those other times when gear seems to come in the door unrelated to projects that I get put on the hot seat.

My wife knows that certain projects call for different gear, so when gear is associated with something I'm getting paid for, she's good with it. It's those other times when gear seems to come in the door unrelated to projects that I get put on the hot seat.

I think that defines most of us. You can justify buying gear if the project needs it, but if it's only something you desired, your wife lambastes you. (That's only if you're not paying off your wife's silence with compensatory purchases for herself)

I think I am also of the same cloth, Les. If the job requires a new business suit, it's OK to buy one. Otherwise, make do with what you already have and be content with it.

I still find it difficult to justify purchases that I've either not sold other gear for, nor observed the one-in-one-out rule. This FM9 purchase is no different than ordering a PRS production model being built to my specs from the factory. It will undoubtedly require some lead time while production does its thing and until my name comes back to the top of the waiting list.

There were virtually hundreds of folks who signed up for the FM9 within the first hour since it being announced. I signed up a day plus 5 hours later. Last year, when FM3's were announced the wait list was well forwarded by a year. Am thinking this could very well mean a wait time into next year. Am hopeful, but will be prepared for the long haul.

Last edited:
EDIT: Some good news to report...

Both my Fractal FM3/DUO17 Board and FC12 Foot Controller have been delivered in CA this past hour. Both cartons required signature, so delivery was verified. Just waiting for buyers to verify the items' safe arrival and condition as expressed in eBay listing, so we can conclude eBay business.

Most recent Fractal Audio news was that they had several hundred units waiting to ship as of Aug 27th. VIPs and Artists received first dibs. Others who signed up on the waiting list early are slowly beginning to receive their FM9 purchase invitations, as inventory will allow.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The eBayer who purchased my FM3 / Duo 17 board provided glowing feedback! This was quite a surprise, since the guy had zero feedback himself, and I sensed that the guy was rather new to eBay. Add to that, being non-communicative prior to and following the purchase, and during shipping, the nice feedback was well-received.

My feeling was that the guy might have been a bit shy since this was his first eBay purchase, so I thought to not overdo the return praise. A simple, modest positive reply was all that was necessary.

Now, waiting on my 2nd buyer's feedback. The guy is waiting until Sunday the 19 to check out the FC12, and is letting his audio engineer set up the unit to his specs before providing feedback. When the guy wrote "audio engineer." I felt a bit humbled that my unit is now part of a pro rig.

Regards the FM9 Wait List, the last known email offer was for folks at the August 27th, 1:25 PM EDT mark. The waitlist is moving forward at about 1 min 4 sec per day.

This is likely because of the sheer number of folks who jumped on the waitlist early on. I've got a while (August 28, 6:00 PM) before may name reaches the top of the list. My feeling is that the list will move forward more quickly once the bell curve of early sign-ons flattens out a little. Realizing this could be a while, will enjoy the Brunetti Singleman 35W plugged straight in, no dirt or modulation.

Remind me Monday to swap out my McCarty strings for some .009s (the .008s weren't my best choice of string). Time for some chores and clean-up. See you all Monday...

Felt that this should display in this section because the Amp Section is relegated to PRS and CAD amps...

Had just been acquainted with my Fractal FM3 and FC12, when out of the blue Fractal announces they've built an FM9 unit, and will be distributing to the USA and Canada. The EU and Asia has their own distributors.

What? How did this happen? Why now? Had I waited several months before considering Fractal, I might have acquired prime real estate on their waiting list for the FM9.

Why the FM9? Double the processing power of the FM3, for one. 9 footswitches. A all-in-one unit, save for the powered speaker(s). Ultra high quality sound sampling made for recording and live applications.

Yet, production is slowed by the global semiconductor chip shortage, and only limited numbers of the FM9 are available to those who'd signed up from day one.

And so the wait for the FM9 begins...FM3 and FC12 have/will be shipped out to points west...

Signed,
Ampless (But Not Desperate) in Seattle
Yeah ! this FM9 seems killer! a real replacement for those who love the AX8. anyway you have a great beast too! Cliff spins the wheel once more ..!

Yeah ! this FM9 seems killer! a real replacement for those who love the AX8. anyway you have a great beast too! Cliff spins the wheel once more ..!

Cliff has created a very desirable piece of gear. The waitlist has got to be in the thousands already. Fractal's not even beyond the first hour of waitlist yet. Either Fractal is partitioning their sales as units are being produced, or moving slowly with their waitlist so that demand doesn't outstrip supply. 1 minute 4 seconds per day seems awful slow.

I'd be happy if the waitlist moved into its 2nd day soon. IIRC, they're about at 1:29 PM of August 27th's timeframe.

I'd also be happy if I didn't have this stomach bug I contracted yesterday/today. Yesterday, I delivered a streusel pie to someone who had a seasonal cold (her and her husband) and I stayed far enough away from both of them. Still, after shopping yesterday and eating lunch today, the technicolor yawn and Hershey squirts was pretty severe. Am sitting here a bit drained and had to call out of work. Hope my boss can find coverage; I was it until calling out.

Will nap this afternoon and try to regain my strength. Have got some toast and rice, as well as ginger ale.

Cliff has created a very desirable piece of gear. The waitlist has got to be in the thousands already. Fractal's not even beyond the first hour of waitlist yet. Either Fractal is partitioning their sales as units are being produced, or moving slowly with their waitlist so that demand doesn't outstrip supply. 1 minute 4 seconds per day seems awful slow.

I'd be happy if the waitlist moved into its 2nd day soon. IIRC, they're about at 1:29 PM of August 27th's timeframe.

I'd also be happy if I didn't have this stomach bug I contracted yesterday/today. Yesterday, I delivered a streusel pie to someone who had a seasonal cold (her and her husband) and I stayed far enough away from both of them. Still, after shopping yesterday and eating lunch today, the technicolor yawn and Hershey squirts was pretty severe. Am sitting here a bit drained and had to call out of work. Hope my boss can find coverage; I was it until calling out.

Will nap this afternoon and try to regain my strength. Have got some toast and rice, as well as ginger ale.
I’m on the first day FM9 list, and sold my III MK 1. But after deep diving on what’s what and what I do with it, I decided to keep my RJM Mastermind GT/22 controller and buy the III MK 2. Floor-space-wise, the difference in area taken up is negligible, gives me 22 buttons with very legible displays, and it’s not like I play anywhere a 3 space rack won’t fit. The important point here is my not buying a FM9 moves you ahead one notch!!

Take care of yourself! health first!!

I’m on the first day FM9 list, and sold my III MK 1. But after deep diving on what’s what and what I do with it, I decided to keep my RJM Mastermind GT/22 controller and buy the III MK 2. Floor-space-wise, the difference in area taken up is negligible, gives me 22 buttons with very legible displays, and it’s not like I play anywhere a 3 space rack won’t fit. The important point here is my not buying a FM9 moves you ahead one notch!!

This is where I'd err on the side of caution and NOT ask if you'd buy the FM9 and ship it to me after I'd pay you for it. The doh moment occurs when one realizes that the 1-year warranty belongs to the original buyer (which is non-transferable). Thanks for being upfront about the FX3 MkII, and your relinquishing a spot for the remaining list...am on the 2nd day 28th 6:00 PM EDT portion of the list, and will need to *sigh*...wait.

Take care of yourself! health first!!

Thanks Maxime. I did what was natural to me and makes me feel better...cooking! Making a pot of chicken veggie rice soup (more like stew, it's thick) and am letting things simmer for 5 minutes more. I was feeling very tired from trips to the bathroom earlier, but have rested up a little and am managing. (Hope my boss isn't too upset regards my calling out, and hope he got someone to cover my shift today...)

This is where I'd err on the side of caution and NOT ask if you'd buy the FM9 and ship it to me after I'd pay you for it. The doh moment occurs when one realizes that the 1-year warranty belongs to the original buyer (which is non-transferable). Thanks for being upfront about the FX3 MkII, and your relinquishing a spot for the remaining list...am on the 2nd day 28th 6:00 PM EDT portion of the list, and will need to *sigh*...wait.

Thanks Maxime. I did what was natural to me and makes me feel better...cooking! Making a pot of chicken veggie rice soup (more like stew, it's thick) and am letting things simmer for 5 minutes more. I was feeling very tired from trips to the bathroom earlier, but have rested up a little and am managing. (Hope my boss isn't too upset regards my calling out, and hope he got someone to cover my shift today...)
If only we could know when we were going to get sick, that would make our lives easier!
But as we are still humans, that day has not arrived!

A good boss is recognizing a good employee!;)

...A good boss is recognizing a good employee!;)

Maxime,

Thank you for the compliment. I was worried about calling out sick Sunday because next weekend I've got time off from work scheduled for a wedding I was asked to attend. I'll be working later this week. Will need to make sure the boss will assign me my normal schedule (he sometimes takes away work schedule privileges if we call out without prior authorization).

I'm thinking the sickness was just some bad food from the fridge, or perhaps the recently opened jar of duck sauce that's been there since 2019. Anyway, spent the afternoon making a stockpot of soup, and am feeling better this evening.

Good news from eBay...the buyer who purchased my Fractal FC12 Foot Controller says all is well and provided some nice words of commendation as feedback. Am relieved that things are looking better for the time. Am now off to clean up and finish for the evening. See you tomorrow...

UPDATE:

Have been watching my spending this month and am on track to save about $900. This means once my bills are paid the end of this month, it will be possible for my to pay off my loan in full for the Fractal FM9 I'd secured the end of August. The key has been not spending money on "desires" or unnecessary things.

This is a first for me, since I've personally not ever been able to accomplish a goal of this kind before. With the remaining savings set aside, when the Fractal purchase invite arrives, the funds will be there, and no excess CC debt will occur, other than the cost of the FM9.

This might be a new mindset for me. Watching my spending and saving for the things most needed. No need asking for donated items, returning store goods, or scouring tag sales. Just watching the spending and being a more frugal New Englander...

Back