Fractal FM3 / FC12 / EV-1s / Temple Audio Duo 17 & 34

I've got Grado & Sony headphones (not the best, but they work well enough). I'll take a look at the graphic global EQs and parametric EQ in global settings.

Is there a way to use the FM3 headphones out jack and EQ that as well as parametric EQ the main XLR outputs to speakers? (Have not looked yet, will do so momentarily...)
As far as I am aware, the phones out monitors whatever is going through output 1. Generally I send that output to FOH and use output 2 for stage monitoring, which allows me to change my stage levels without affecting FOH (as that also feeds everyone else’s monitor sends). So my stage levels only affect my monitor.

The Axe FX III has 4 pairs of stereo outs, so I could do that but I don’t think the architecture of the FM3 can… but I may be wrong!

The headphone out and xlr out are linked together. So any changes to the global eq 1 will affect both.

Is there a possibility of connecting a headphones ¼” plug to the balanced (left) output 2, and graphic EQing that?

Or am I tempting fate with blown headphones/eardrums connecting the FM3’s 2nd speaker output to headphones?

(Would kindly seek advice before trying this at home….you know what they say….)

I dont think out 2 is a normal balanced out. it is a humbuster out. one side is meant to sense hum. You can try it, but you would only get mono using one.

I dont think out 2 is a normal balanced out. it is a humbuster out. one side is meant to sense hum. You can try it, but you would only get mono using one.

I'd personally prefer not to chance it. How do you have your FM3 (IIRC, that's what you have) set up for headphones and output 1 graphic/parametric again? My understanding is that you have output 1 set for graphic EQ when using headphones, and parametric EQ when using powered speakers...is there a way of toggling headphones to speaker locally, or do you need to toggle manually within global settings each time?

That's correct, I do it in global settings.

Just thought to thank you for the list of headphone EQ settings.

There wouldn't happen to be a comparable list of computer speaker monitor EQ settings online that you happen to know of, perhaps? (A link for me to compare my research with would be helpful).

That way, I can find an approximation of graphic or parametric EQ settings for both headphones and speakers. (Hoping to find something that'll meet me halfway, so I don't need to switch between graphic and parametric EQ settings for headphones and speaker.)

You are quite welcome, I just found the list and was pretty impressed!

I don't think there is anything similar for computer speakers. Their eq depends way too much on the room they are in. There is a software some use called Room Eq Wizard (REW) where you use a calibrated microphone to make measurements in the specific space with the specific speakers. I have read good things, but I have not tried it.

You are quite welcome, I just found the list and was pretty impressed!

I don't think there is anything similar for computer speakers. Their eq depends way too much on the room they are in. There is a software some use called Room Eq Wizard (REW) where you use a calibrated microphone to make measurements in the specific space with the specific speakers. I have read good things, but I have not tried it.

Many thanks. I must say that my computer speakers were lacking some volume (my Clarett USB keeps volume down at about 11 o'clock, but my Music library volume bar doesn't allow for much more added volume.)

I did the next best thing for my Music library...the App Store had something called Boom 2 Equalizer for a lifetime subscription of $39. Boom 2 analyzes your computer's EQ and adjusts for any outboard gear like the Clarett. After an install, a restart, and a few minutes of WTF, Boom 2 optimized my iMac's EQ.

The Boom 2 is really a volume boost with EQ. Gotta say, my Music library now has extra special sauce added that has improved the volume and EQ output. I've yet to try this with the FM3, but I know the Boom 2 is a virtual app that resides in System Prefs > Sound that applies to any sound application on my Mac.

Instead of tweaking my FM3 global settings, Boom 2 does the job for me with no hassle or fuss. Improved volume and EQ without any harsh stuff. The upside is that Boom 2 has several tabs for whatever setting you might need to adjust to, including ambiance, fidelity, spatial, night mode, or pitch. The ambiance setting is what I'm currently using. It's a pretty neat app. and does what its say it does. There are several other EQ apps on the App Store, but read the reviews so you don't get suckered in with a nothing-burger app.

A caveat is that don't run Boom 2 while you're recording into a DAW, otherwise what you hear through your computer speakers will sound nothing like what's actually recorded when others hear your work.

I'm confused. This is a PRS Forum and the category is 'Amplifiers' yet there is this long, draw out discussion about the 'Fractal' product set. Shouldn't this be on the 'Fractal' Product Forum?

I'm confused. This is a PRS Forum and the category is 'Amplifiers' yet there is this long, draw out discussion about the 'Fractal' product set. Shouldn't this be on the 'Fractal' Product Forum?

You are correct. This forum is mostly PRS-centric, though it may be possible that since Fractal contains facsimiles of certain PRS amp models, the moderators of this forum have graciously allowed this guitar processor discussion to exist. IIRC, there is an Archon model, or a close approximation thereof.

I have been spending some of my time on the Fractal Forum, but some of my closer acquaintances from this forum also use Fractal products. It's not always easy trying to ask newb questions on a forum you've just joined, so the folks I'm familiar with on this forum stepped up and have helped out some. For their help, I'm thankful.

You’re looking at it wrong. Like some of us, he is using a modeler to amplify his PRS guitar. We’re helping him succeed in that. When he’s onstage, all you’re going to see is a PRS guitar sounding awesome. :)

You’re looking at it wrong. Like some of us, he is using a modeler to amplify his PRS guitar. We’re helping him succeed in that. When he’s onstage, all you’re going to see is a PRS guitar sounding awesome. :)

Gonna say it again. @RickP is a good person to have here on this forum. Thank you, Rick. :)

UPDATE:

Spent more time with the FM3, tweaking some parameters, dialing in good tones. IMHO, it's the right tool for the right job. You wouldn't use a ball peen hammer for regular carpentry, yes? The FM3 provides more than enough adjustable options you can select from, just use your "maintenance checklist" and have at it.

I've now set up 3 basic presets with 4 scenes each. The presets are for use with my McCarty and my HBII Piezo. The 1st preset specifically for McCarty, the 2nd for HBII clean and acoustic, the 3rd as a blues preset using a 'D'-style ODS-100 HRM for either.

I've yet to build a series of headphones presets (thinking this may wait until more important presets are taken care of). Somewhere along the line I'd like to also consider being sure my electrical connections are not being overused...in order to prevent possible short circuits and fires...safety first! The CPU usage of the FM3 ranges from 57 to 65%...not sure if that means within the FM3, or monitored as computer CPU usage...am guessing it means FM3...

May spend some time with the FM3 later today...would like to explore alternative options that won't require buying any outside IRs or such. My feeling is, today will be a curve ball that will need dealing with...so I'm ready...to either strike out or hit it out of the park today...

UPDATE:

Spent more time with the FM3, tweaking some parameters, dialing in good tones. IMHO, it's the right tool for the right job. You wouldn't use a ball peen hammer for regular carpentry, yes? The FM3 provides more than enough adjustable options you can select from, just use your "maintenance checklist" and have at it.

I've now set up 3 basic presets with 4 scenes each. The presets are for use with my McCarty and my HBII Piezo. The 1st preset specifically for McCarty, the 2nd for HBII clean and acoustic, the 3rd as a blues preset using a 'D'-style ODS-100 HRM for either.

I've yet to build a series of headphones presets (thinking this may wait until more important presets are taken care of). Somewhere along the line I'd like to also consider being sure my electrical connections are not being overused...in order to prevent possible short circuits and fires...safety first! The CPU usage of the FM3 ranges from 57 to 65%...not sure if that means within the FM3, or monitored as computer CPU usage...am guessing it means FM3...

May spend some time with the FM3 later today...would like to explore alternative options that won't require buying any outside IRs or such. My feeling is, today will be a curve ball that will need dealing with...so I'm ready...to either strike out or hit it out of the park today...
Glad you’re getting it where you need it to be!

The CPU percentage display is the primary CPU, the one handling blocks and such. Most times, keeping that below 80% is safe. Above that, it may work but can introduce some instability. There is a second CPU that isn’t shown that handles things like the USB bus, controllers, and other utility stuff. Some really heavy users like Fremen on the FAS Forum have managed to trip up the system on CPU 2, but us regular mortals rarely know it’s there!

The Axe Fx III has 4 times the CPU, so my meager demands have never stressed it at all. I used to have an AX8 that had similar CPU with the FM3 and I never ran that one over either, except when testing with a lot of massive reverbs in an already loaded setup. For normal things I actually used, I was never in any danger there. But it is a good thing to keep an eye on while building presets.

Well folks,

The possible variety is working again, and I'd been researching pedalboards with which to house my Fractal FC12 and EV-1s, as well as my FM3.

After viewing numerous pre-fab boards, the most cost-effective one (though not least expensive) was the Temple Audio Duo 34 and Duo 17 boards. The Duo 34 would fit the FC12 and 2x EV-1s easily, and the Duo 17, my FM3 with room to spare.

I'd hoped a Duo 24 would work with 1 EV-1 and FC12, but reports came back the size constraints would not work; too wide. I didn't want any surprises if I wasn't sure if the Duo 24 wouldn't work, so I asked if others who own a Duo 24 could measure the work surface (to my chagrin, just shy about ¾").

Anyway, I hope to consider the Temple Duo boards and will likely put the ball into play after lunch.

When he’s onstage, all you’re going to see is a PRS guitar sounding almost awesome. :)

Fixed it for ya. :)

Tube amp, possibly awesome.

Modeler, possibly almost awesome. There's still a difference. And there are levels of good to bad in both, depending on the product!

There are too many variables.

However, I'm under the impression that for the most part, the original intention was that this should be a PRS amp forum. It says on the site, "Discuss PRS Amplifiers, CAD Amplifiers and PRS SE Amplifiers." It doesn't say to talk about amps you use with your PRS.

I've violated that spirit myself, so I can't cast aspersions on others.

But I wouldn't blame PRS if they were to express a preference for discussion of their own products.

"You'd go ballistic if you were PRS, wouldn't you Les?"

"I go ballistic if I drop a sock on the floor when I'm getting dressed. What else is new? People around me should wear ballistic nylon armor just to be on the safe side."

"What happens when you go ballistic?"

"My wife tells me to calm down."

"Do you?"

"I say yes. She says no."

Last edited:
Yes, it’s all in the ear… what you want, or expect to, hear. You know, we grew up with it. Tube amps are how guitar is supposed to sound. But it’s really interesting to talk with younger players now (which might mean full grown adults) who have never used a tube amp, or an amp at all. They are looking for other sounds, other “realities” you could say. Reality leaves a lot to the imagination, as Lennon once said. So, if there’s a difference at all, it may not be one that matters. Unless it does. :confused:

I love having both. Really love it. It’s expanded the options dramatically for me. If I win the lotto, I’m buying you an Axe Fx, Mr S.

Back