Fractal FM3 / FC12 / EV-1s / Temple Audio Duo 17 & 34

MDW,

TBH, Fractal is not for the plug 'n play or "easy dial up" crowd. Study of Leon Todd's G66 video series will begin to help you, but there is so much to learn with this unit, it's almost frustrating and difficult to use. I'll be honest, it's been about 12 days since mine arrived and I'm only beginning to appreciate the versatility and value of this unit. Many others have said that it takes quite a while before they acclimate to the FM3 or Axe FX III. Your computer can be of great benefit when you use the FM3 Edit or Axe Edit software to dial in your settings. In fact, that's how I learned to work with the FM3...viewing instructional videos and dialing in various amp/cab/effects blocks.

The FM3 is an all-in-one device with 3 footswitches for portability. If you must, consider the FM3 and an FC6 controller for easier footswitch control. (I plan on upgrading my FM3 with an FC6 soon as I learn the basics of building presets, scenes, and channels, and gain a sense of confidence with the unit. Currently, I'm not all that sure about using the unit as a standalone device.)

Leon Todd's YT G66 videos are vital towards obtaining quality presets. View LT's YT "Channels & Scenes - FM3 Basics" video for more info.

Eventually, with their Cygnus software upgrade, both the FM3 and Axe FX III will share the same libraries once Fractal releases their final Cygnus version that is no longer in the beta stage. Currently Cygnus has gone through 5 beta versions, some of which are better than others; most still contain software bugs that need repair. The Axe has more processing power, yes, but is rack mount, less portable and also requires a separate FC6 or FC12 footswitch controller.

By comparison, the FM3 has a smaller footprint, and if used with an FC6, might be all you'd need for practice or gigs. (Don't forget the stereo powered XLR-connected speakers...)

in conclusion, I must say that both the FM3 and Axe FX II will test your ability to think clearly, your patience, and your own sense of peaceful-mindedness. After you've struggled a little with the unit, a sense of calm will take its place, and you'll feel more confident once the initial stage of WTF subsides. :)
Understood @CandidPicker ! Thanks for the feeback!!! Not afraid though. I have been a computer programmer for 30 years and am happy to take on the task ;~)) I currently use Native Instruments Guitar Rig to choose between thousands of configurations, including amps, cabinets, microphones, popular effects, etc, but would like to have a unit with an array of rigs/sounds that does not tie me to a computer (except when programming/setting scenes, builds, rigs, etc.). Just need to wait for some "disposable" funds AND find a way to spend money on this rather than another PRS!!! I think a Vela is my next!

Happy fractals!
MW

I hate you people! Reading your sh!t is giving me painful G.A.S. for some Fractal gear! Other than price, any reason why I should consider and FM3 over an Axe III with a controller? Best I can tell in my limited reading is, Axe will have more processing power and more libraries. Please let me know if there is something I have missed.

Thanks for taking me to the edge of the cliff so I can see my empty bank account! I will come back and jump once the water rises!!!

Happy fractal's!
MW
I had the AX8, the predecessor to the FM3, and the Axe Fx III when it first came out. I had used several other rack mount Axe FXs before, and already had a foot controller, several FRFR speakers, expression pedals. I thought I’d use the AX8 for the smaller shows and “drag out the big rig” on larger stages. In the end I noticed that I was doing without options for no gain as my “big rig” actually sat right over my “small rig” speaker!

mZH1guA.jpg

So I sent the AX8 to a good home where it would get use and just used the full rig all the time. No regrets at all for me on going big. If it can be done with Fractal gear, my rig can do it!

If I were a home player, or did a lot of fly gigs, I might go back to an all in one. In the meantime I’m happy sailing in the flagship. It’s hard to go wrong either way, so get what fits your use!

Last edited:
Understood @CandidPicker ! Thanks for the feeback!!! Not afraid though. I have been a computer programmer for 30 years and am happy to take on the task ;~)) I currently use Native Instruments Guitar Rig to choose between thousands of configurations, including amps, cabinets, microphones, popular effects, etc, but would like to have a unit with an array of rigs/sounds that does not tie me to a computer (except when programming/setting scenes, builds, rigs, etc.). Just need to wait for some "disposable" funds AND find a way to spend money on this rather than another PRS!!! I think a Vela is my next!

Happy fractals!
MW

THAT would be the catch. You would likely need to sit in front of a computer screen with FM3 Edit or Axe Edit to deep dive into either unit. The hardware itself with navigational and editing buttons is less intuitive and can cause, as @RickP once wrote, "analysis paralysis." What you can't do with the physical unit itself, you can edit with the computer software.

TBH, this was one main reason I considered the FM3. While the pricetag itself for an FM3 and EV-1 was less than the cost of a new PRS S2, I did need to sell a couple pieces of lower cost gear to finance this purchase.

If you're sincerely interested in this, consider your upcoming CC billing cycle and plan accordingly. Also mosey on over to YouTube and research the Fractal Audio, G66 and Leon Todd channels there. The G66 channel took a big chunk of hassle away from the process of learning how to set up user presets with scenes and channels built in. Leon Todd is a decent spokesperson, but he moves quickly, so you might need to revisit his videos a few times before you can understand.

Just don't spend all night wondering how to to pull this off. In the words of a good buddy who once stayed up all night "wondering where the sun went"...then it dawned on him... :)

@InTooDeep,

Are you upgraded to Cygnus beta version 5.0 regards the FM3 yet?

I'm personally waiting until Fractal's firmware team works out the bugs in the OS. And will likely wait until Fractal releases a verified OS which isn't in its testing stages...

Yeah, Cygnus Beta 5 all the way! The only reason I wouldn't load a Beta is if I had to play out and it wasn't stable. In some of the earlier firmware I have had freezing and stuff but that was months ago. I lost a scribble strip a few times on beta 1, but not since then. I never had the fan issues some had where the fan would run more often than normal. Not much sense dialing in tones at this point on the Ares based firmware when you will have to do it again on Cygnus firmware IMO.

@CandidPicker I would like to email you a preset (since I can't upload a file here) can you PM me your email address? I am not accepting that achieving a balanced mix is impossible with the FM3 and HBII!

Yeah, Cygnus Beta 5 all the way! The only reason I wouldn't load a Beta is if I had to play out and it wasn't stable. In some of the earlier firmware I have had freezing and stuff but that was months ago. I lost a scribble strip a few times on beta 1, but not since then. I never had the fan issues some had where the fan would run more often than normal. Not much sense dialing in tones at this point on the Ares based firmware when you will have to do it again on Cygnus firmware IMO.

@CandidPicker I would like to email you a preset (since I can't upload a file here) can you PM me your email address? I am not accepting that achieving a balanced mix is impossible with the FM3 and HBII!

If perhaps you don't mind answering, when did you purchase your current FM3? Was it preloaded with v. 3.02?

With beta 5 seeming to be a more stable OS, I think I'll wait until one more incarnation (beta 6) becomes industry standard for Cygnus. From what I can tell from the FM3 Discussion on Fractal Forums, there are still minor bugs still being worked out with beta 5.

I'd personally prefer to not upgrade until Fractal can provide a non-beta version completely. Once that happens, I'd not need worry about needing to backtrack to v. 3.02 if something wasn't working correctly in beta 5.

I got my FM3 back in September I think. I believe it was firmware 1.5 or 1.6.

XmQrZHB.png

This is based on the preset i shared earlier. Please note, turn down your piezo volume at the left circle, and select left input at the right circle (if you leave it in stereo it will only play out the left channel of your speakers, using only the left input sends that signal to both sides). There is also enough CPU left to put the enhancer block in there too if you wish.

Thanks for this; I'll give this a whirl Friday. Meanwhile, I learned how to backup the entire FM3 library and system to a folder on my iMac. Fractal suggests dating and indicating what version backup is being performed. Now indicated 'FM3 06-15-21 3.02'

Page 100 of the FM3 manual describes how to do this correctly with Fractal-Bot. Common sense is sometimes wasted on the impatient...doh...

I had the AX8, the predecessor to the FM3, and the Axe Fx III when it first came out. I had used several other rack mount Axe FXs before, and already had a foot controller, several FRFR speakers, expression pedals. I thought I’d use the AX8 for the smaller shows and “drag out the big rig” on larger stages. In the end I noticed that I was doing without options for no gain as my “big rig” actually sat right over my “small rig” speaker!

mZH1guA.jpg

So I sent the AX8 to a good home where it would get use and just used the full rig all the time. No regrets at all for me on going big. If it can be done with Fractal gear, my rig can do it!

If I were a home player, or did a lot of fly gigs, I might go back to an all in one. In the meantime I’m happy sailing in the flagship. It’s hard to go wrong either way, so get what fits your use!
What RCF are you using?

What RCF are you using?
That’s the NX12SMA. Great speaker, really nice sound and lower profile. I’ve also been using the CLR Neo MK II, and it fits in the same space under the stand but even a little narrower. The stand legs pivot, so it can get as small as the speaker under it. Great for tight stages.

That’s the NX12SMA. Great speaker, really nice sound and lower profile. I’ve also been using the CLR Neo MK II, and it fits in the same space under the stand but even a little narrower. The stand legs pivot, so it can get as small as the speaker under it. Great for tight stages.
I’m not familiar with that model but the NX’s are great speakers!

I got my FM3 back in September I think. I believe it was firmware 1.5 or 1.6...

...This is based on the preset i shared earlier. Please note, turn down your piezo volume at the left circle, and select left input at the right circle (if you leave it in stereo it will only play out the left channel of your speakers, using only the left input sends that signal to both sides). There is also enough CPU left to put the enhancer block in there too if you wish.

Will try building a preset to these parameters, but will likely discard the wah (simply because the WAH and VOL/PAN are likely tied together unless one is bypassed when the other is in use).

Am also considering putting together a few headphones presets for not disturbing the neighbors after 10 PM noise ordinances go in effect. (Yeah, don't need someone calling the cops for too much speaker volume after 10 PM). Will simply call these presets MC PHN & HBII PHN.

Will also try to save my current MAIN RIG and MAG/PIEZO presets as templates from which to adjust any EQ or volume with the headphones presets. May rename my MAIN RIG to MC RIG for clarification of what the preset is intended for.

Seamless upgrade. Upgraded to the most recent FM3 Edit, then used Fractal-Bot to download the v. 4.00 firmware. Was easier than trying to connect from the forum link. Also upgraded the Cygnus presets, overwriting the originals in 3.02. Was suggested to drag/drop the ALL BLOCKS sysx file to the Fractal-Bot SEND window so the FM3 could update. Flawless.

Had made a backup copy of 3.02 prior, and also a backup copy of 4.00 to a separate folder. No issues with 4.00 currently. Also did a firmware refresh as suggested in the Firmware Update notes. All looks good, user presets look good as well..

Will take a look under the hood this evening; have obligations until after dinner...

Will be considering a headphones preset derived from my previous 2 presets used specifically for my McC and HBII Piezo.. Am reviewing Leon Todd's video regards this, and will hopefully have something put together Saturday afternoon. Have put the HBII Piezo dual input idea temporarily on the shelf for future reference.

Am currently more interested in a "blues" preset which might be represented by a Blues Deluxe 1x12 combo amp, if such an amp exists within the vast choice of amp models.

A Blues Deluxe was one of my preferred amps before I began looking into high end fancy stuff...this will bring me back to my humble roots as a younger guitar student with a lot of ambition but no talent...about where I still am today....LOL..

UPDATE:

Reworked my EQ and preamp settings for my MC RIG Clean scene. Found that my bridge McC 58/15 was a bit bright for my tastes, so I dialed the FM3's Bassguy amp's tone back a little to about 3, and tweaked the hi cut to 6000 Hz. Raised the bass frequencies up +1 dB. Lowered the treble frequencies above 4000 Hz to -2 dB

The resultant tone is much smoother, warmer, and more balanced, IMHO. The neck pickup is much smoother and warmer as well. Some enhance blocks helped round out the tone a lot.

Also, I built a separate preset that is a take on R. Ford's ODS-100 HRM. The crunch was somewhat harsh, so, using low cut below 100 Hz and hi cut above 6500 Hz removed any boomy bass and top end fizziness. Dialing back on the volume, the amp cleans up. This will be a good preset for any blues songs that don't require a singing lead tone.

Headphones presets will be the same as my MC RIG, MAG/PIEZO, and FORD presets, only dialed in so the FM3 EQ and output volume accommodates the headphones.

SOON TO ARRIVE:

The supplemental FAS FC12 Foot Controller considered for the added flexibility of 15 footswitches when normally constrained to 3. The added 12 allows for banking presets and scenes as well as adding a tap tempo and tuner switch that would usually be relegated to the FM3's "More" pages which one would need to scroll through to find. Also switching effects on and off within scenes so as to tailor your sound further for greater versatility.

Thankfully, having a tuner available immediately via footswitch is much more desirable than the previously stated. The remaining functions like Utilities, etc, need not display on the main screen, but can be placed on a subordinate page, accessible via the "HOLD More" switch feature...

If you are using headphones, check this site out! https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
It has a giant list of headphone EQ settings to flatten the response of each model. It greatly improved the sound through my Shure SE215 IEMs
I set my graphic global EQ to match my headphones, while my parametric global EQ works for my studio monitors (both using Out 1 global EQ, just not at the same time)

If you are using headphones, check this site out! https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
It has a giant list of headphone EQ settings to flatten the response of each model. It greatly improved the sound through my Shure SE215 IEMs
I set my graphic global EQ to match my headphones, while my parametric global EQ works for my studio monitors (both using Out 1 global EQ, just not at the same time)

I've got Grado & Sony headphones (not the best, but they work well enough). I'll take a look at the graphic global EQs and parametric EQ in global settings.

Is there a way to use the FM3 headphones out jack and EQ that as well as parametric EQ the main XLR outputs to speakers? (Have not looked yet, will do so momentarily...)

Back