Fractal FM3 / FC12 / EV-1s / Temple Audio Duo 17 & 34

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Yes, that's correct. What began as a modest quest for tone was supplanted by better quality, although at higher cost. While most folks prefer low cost quality goods, there is a fine point made when one has burned through inordinate cash in past years, only to be disappointed by a product's limitations and/or availability.

That being said, my current HeadRush Gigboard is adequate for my needs but GAS is taking hold and a desire for a "better" quality device with computer programmability is happening.

See: Fractal FM3 All-In-One portable foot switchable effects/amp/cab modeler.

The Fractal FM3 is a 3-footswitch deep-divable modeling device that runs ARM technology. At this writing, the latest software incarnation is Cygnus v. 4.0.0, with advanced organic-sounding presets.

The selection and quality of amp models is superb. You can dive into a wealth of versatile functions that each hav e a value for themselves without even tweaking the system...most all factory presets are optimized for the listener and appeal to almost any practicing guitarist.

The sheer number of effects, amps and cabs is incredible. My honest praise originates with various YouTube reviews and tutorials, and usually, I do not offer such praise with doing due diligence and research.

For those who own either the AX8 or Axe FX II or III, please chime in and describe your experiences with the Fractal ecosystem. What awaits my modeling curiosity may be that of a Fractal FM3.

Give this a shot… lots of FM3 talk here.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/fm3-discussion.114/

As I’ve mentioned, Fractal Audio Systems has been absolutely bulletproof for me and have provided more updates in any one year than I have received in the lifetime of any other amplification or processing piece of gear. In my opinion, they cannot be beaten in the world of pro guitar modeling technology and service after the sale. In addition, their forum community is among the strongest and most helpful I’ve experienced. Their gear is not cheap, in either connotation of the word. It is quality gear, which I have used in hundreds of live performances (indoors and out) since 2011, without a single failure. I currently use the Axe Fx III MK I. There is now a MK II version available. I have not used the FM3.

So, the first steps towards a new level of creative understanding have begun. I've got 3 things I need to accomplish, but I'll feel better once they're past.

First item is a sale to a local friend, that will cover that larger part of the costs.
Second, one additional sale that hopefully will net the remainder of the costs.
Third, what's received will be turned towards the FM3.

For the time, I think I'll wait until additional funds have cleared the bank before considering an expression pedal, or a more costly FC6 foot switcher unit.

It's a good time for the FM3, because MSRP prices were cut by $200 recently, and it costs less to buy new with warranty than used.

@RickP: Thought to personally thank you for being impartial and for sharing timely information that has made this easier. You've helped clear up many misconceptions about the FM3, and at the same time, been a man of his word. Your help was and is appreciated. :)

The only downside I can think of to Fractal is that they offer so many control, amp, and cab options that some people find it paralyzing. Their user interfaces are by engineers and for engineers.

If you can get past that, the products, company, and sound are all top-notch. They also have a great, helpful user community much like PRS. I've been a Fractal user since the early days of the Axe-FX II and am currently rocking the III. The company relentlessly updates their products via firmware releases with improved modeling and effects over time. They're on version 16 of the Axe-FX III firmware now, and all those updates were free. They just released 384 new factory presets that were updated for the new firmware.

Great company, great products. I could not be happier with their stuff.

@Herr Squid:

I think that's how I will feel regards Fractal's learning curve. As we grow older, we learn to "play nicely in other's sandboxes," which translated means, the level of knowledge we obtain helps us improve our relationships with others and products we're learning to use.

Fractal is very much a technically-oriented bit of hardware and software put together...if my purchase of a FM3 happens in the next few weeks, I'm looking forward to working with the FM3 Editor software and trying to dive into the wealth of features Fractal provides.

@WEDGE:

This might be the only reason I'd also have misgivings about purchasing a Fractal. My reassurance may be that there are plenty of YT videos both from the Fractal and G66 channels as well as demos of what presets are possible. Because I was confident using HeadRush's interface, I'm taking somewhat of a leap of faith hoping that my technical ability will allow me to tweak the FM3's controls via my computer, then gain an understanding of the onboard controls after-the-fact.

The way I'm thinking will be of most benefit is to research more YT tutorials and ask questions on the Fractal forum, once my Fractal arrives. The Fractal forum has many folks who are experienced and can direct a Fractal noob (myself included) in the ways one should learn.

Currently, I won't ask for good luck. Just a little encouragement so I won't need sit on the fence for a while.

UPDATE:

My sale is currently being posted on eBay. Hopefully, someone will find value in the fact that $140 of extras were added to the sale at no extra cost, as well as free shipping for the CONUS. (I must apologize that my sale is for the CONUS only; paperwork and import taxes cost me over $52 once for shipping a standard effect pedal to Barcelona. Consider what the problem might be with a 27" 15 lb carton...Sorry.)

Now, we wait...

I gave up on the Kemper for this reason. Sounded amazing but I got option anxiety. Spent more time trying new amps than playing the ones I loved. And I didnt find it easy to tweak with out the computer interface.
I sold my toaster for the same reason. Now that there is a computer interface, I bought the new Stage. I was still hesitant because of the option anxiety. Promised myself I’d stick to a handful and not go down the worm hole. So far, so good.

You can really put your mind at ease about the whole “anaysis paralysis” thing… it’s a self inflicted injury. You pick an amp you know, add a cab you know, and you’re making music! There are plenty of prepared ones already there when you get it. Seriously, it’s as complicated as you make it. Not as simple as plugging a cord into an amp, but it’s not even remotely rocket science.

As a matter of fact, one thing I often suggest is to get a cab block you like and do your whole live rig from it. This helps blend tones, and simplifies setup while eliminating endless EQ tweaks. Everything can be made as easy or complex as you want. Don’t sweat it! :)

Last edited:
I sold my toaster for the same reason. Now that there is a computer interface, I bought the new Stage. I was still hesitant because of the option anxiety. Promised myself I’d stick to a handful and not go down the worm hole. So far, so good.

Genuine chuckle here. Thanks...:)

does it sound same as the old one? I truly loved the sounds and will probably spring someday again. Wish they would come up with a new and improved version so I can steal an old one.

You can really put your mind at ease about the whole “anaysis paralysis” thing… it’s a self inflicted injury. You pick an amp you know, add a cab you know, and you’re making music! There are plenty of prepare ones already there when you get it. Seriously, it’s as complicated as you make it. Not as simple as plugging a cord into an amp, but it’s not even remotely rocket science.

As a matter of fact, one thing I often suggest is to get a cab block you like and do your whole live rig from it. This helps blend tones, and simplifies setup while eliminating endless EQ tweaks. Everything can be made as easy or complex as you want. Don’t sweat it! :)

Rick,

TBH, you've likely already gained some experience with the Axe FX and been more comfortable now that the basic "rules" were followed. The feeling is that if you play the game correctly, you may not win, but at least you'll have played well. That's my mindset. I don't need to win to feel good. I just need to feel that I played well.

I certainly understand the "analysis paralysis' buzzwords...it often happens when feelings of being overwhelmed occur and not knowing what choices to make or procedures to follow at the time. My feeling is that I would certainly never do anything stupid that would lead to that scenario. However, I do know the feeling of being overwhelmed. It's not a pleasant experience and really kind of tweaks your jimmies a few levels.

I've already got 2 powered HeadRush FRFR108s on speaker stands that can plug directly into the FM3. I'm thinking this will be adequate for balanced output to the FRFRs.

The FM3 will be a welcome addition that I hope will be a good fit to my garden-variety musical tastes. We'll see! Will keep you folks posted regards this in the next several days.

does it sound same as the old one? I truly loved the sounds and will probably spring someday again. Wish they would come up with a new and improved version so I can steal an old one.
I’d say better, only because it’s easier to adjust things with the computer interface. They just released the Kemper Power Kabinet, loaded with a Kemper Kone. I’ll be grabbing one of those as soon as they are readily available. @dmatthews has a Kabinet and a Kone. He swears by them.

Are things working out for you OK? I felt better once I stepped up a few confidence levels so I could see clearly my goals. After that, it's just setting your mind to doing something, accomplishing it, and moving onto the next task.

Sometimes the opportunities are there, but we can't tell what they are because of the confusion that exists. That's exactly what @RickP was saying about overthinking things. I've learned that one of the best teachers is to go with your gut, not with your heart. Your gut will tell you if you're doing something correctly or not.

And strangely enough, that's the primary reason why we burp and fart too. :D Yup. A man can tell when he's prepared to take on a task or not. If he's not, he may set out to do something yet not accomplish that. Ask yourself how many times you've had a brain fart trying to accomplish something. Welcome to the club. ;)

I’d say better, only because it’s easier to adjust things with the computer interface. They just released the Kemper Power Kabinet, loaded with a Kemper Kone. I’ll be grabbing one of those as soon as they are readily available. @dmatthews has a Kabinet and a Kone. He swears by them.

If I may, I'm guessing that you tested the waters before diving in. TBH, I'm doing the same thing with the Fractal. My only concern is that, much like you don't wish to dive into a sea of sharks, it's wise to test the waters first before diving in. The videos I was viewing confirmed there is a steep learning curve with the Fractal (I'd also conclude Kemper as well) that makes it easier with the computer editing software.

And TBH, you can avoid the usual difficulties by simply working around them. That's how I'd approach it. Best wishes.

Are things working out for you OK? I felt better once I stepped up a few confidence levels so I could see clearly my goals. After that, it's just setting your mind to doing something, accomplishing it, and moving onto the next task.

Sometimes the opportunities are there, but we can't tell what they are because of the confusion that exists. That's exactly what @RickP was saying about overthinking things. I've learned that one of the best teachers is to go with your gut, not with your heart. Your gut will tell you if you're doing something correctly or not.

And strangely enough, that's the primary reason why we burp and fart too. :D Yup. A man can tell when he's prepared to take on a task or not. If he's not, he may set out to do something yet not accomplish that. Ask yourself how many times you've had a brain fart trying to accomplish something. Welcome to the club. ;)
Yeah, things are working out great. I’ve not fallen back down the rabbit hole :). I manage to play the same profile for a few weeks, and then change to a different one. Not messing with the presets on the profile, just stomp and go......so far

If I may, I'm guessing that you tested the waters before diving in. TBH, I'm doing the same thing with the Fractal. My only concern is that, much like you don't wish to dive into a sea of sharks, it's wise to test the waters first before diving in. The videos I was viewing confirmed there is a steep learning curve with the Fractal (I'd also conclude Kemper as well) that makes it easier with the computer editing software.

And TBH, you can avoid the usual difficulties by simply working around them. That's how I'd approach it. Best wishes.
Yep, that’s what I’ve been doing. Haven’t even looked at the “manual”. Going with things “as is”, for now.

Yeah, things are working out great. I’ve not fallen back down the rabbit hole :). I manage to play the same profile for a few weeks, and then change to a different one. Not messing with the presets on the profile, just stomp and go......so far

Yep, that’s what I’ve been doing. Haven’t even looked at the “manual”. Going with things “as is”, for now.

Yeah, I hear that. I think the answer IMHO, is that to consider your musical genres and be selective. I sometimes think as you grow older you gain greater experience, not because you like to experiment (different mindset) but because we're each given a chance to re-think how we approach matters.

Working with something like a Kemper must be inordinately useful, but daunting if one scatters his forces and doesn't maintain focus. Maybe that leap of faith I talked about earlier was about making wise choices, even though they may not be real world ones. Both the worlds of Kemper and Fractal may be abstract, but perhaps realizing that good focus will guide you through that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear that. I think the answer IMHO, is that to consider your musical genres and be selective. I sometimes think as you grow older you gain greater experience, not because you like to experiment (different mindset) but because we're each given a chance to re-think how we approach matters.

Working with something like a Kemper must be inordinately useful, but daunting if one scatters his forces and doesn't maintain focus. Maybe that leap of faith I talked about earlier was about making wise choices, even though they may not be real world ones. Both the worlds of Kemper and Fractal may be abstract, but perhaps realizing that good focus will guide you through that.
Exactly!

I swear about a lot of things.:p
Love the Kab for home practice and monitoring at band practice and gigs (what's a gig?).
Anything larger than a small gig you'd want to send the mains to FOH and leave the Kab for you on stage. So far I haven't needed to go FOH.
Great thump with the ability to choose the speaker imprint of your choice.

Back