Forum Truss Rod Cover

Serg, I'd be down for exploring a new design as well, liked the last one but would probably like a new one just as much. If someone is handy with that kind of thing, we could probably come up with a design and see if we could get them made outside of PRS. I'm not sure if the company would be willing to take on another batch with a new design. But I would hope for them to be the machined aluminum, or whatever the PRS spec is, rather than plastic if possible.

Hey, Denny! Where the flock have you been? Good to hear from you.

Somebody should holler at boogie and design new ones. The first TRC was really cool, but this is a new group (and continuation from the past) of dudes that deserve their own identity. I'd be in for one new truss rod cover.
Life's been pretty terrible lately but I'm alive so it is what it is. I'll definitely be spending more time on the boards again and actually playing more like I should haha.

Definitely on board for a new TRC design on the potential new batch. Change is good!

As one of the original PRS Forum members from back in 1999, I somehow missed out on all of them. I would gladly put in for one if they became available again.

Yes, bump. I have great interest because I really enjoy good inlay, and a quality and special would be a nice, tasteful bit of bling for my S2 SC Custom.

This is my last bump. I do not want to be a further burden on the forum. I do not have any "connections" to PRS that would boost the level of attention that is paid to a request.

If this great tradition is to survive, then one or more of you who are long-time PRS people and have had actual engagement with PRSh or others in management in the factory must keep ringing the bell.

If you do so, I thank you for myself, and on behalf of others who are genuinely interested in this project.

This is my last bump. I do not want to be a further burden on the forum. I do not have any "connections" to PRS that would boost the level of attention that is paid to a request.

If this great tradition is to survive, then one or more of you who are long-time PRS people and have had actual engagement with PRSh or others in management in the factory must keep ringing the bell.

If you do so, I thank you for myself, and on behalf of others who are genuinely interested in this project.
Well, I think the most recent cover was pushed along by Shawn(and a few others). He has a different job/roll at PRS now than when this came about. There's a decent amount of time and energy that needs to go in to make something like this happen, so not sure if we'll see something like this again.

Well, I think the most recent cover was pushed along by Shawn(and a few others). He has a different job/roll at PRS now than when this came about. There's a decent amount of time and energy that needs to go in to make something like this happen, so not sure if we'll see something like this again.
If initial approval were obtained from the company, then, as I suggested, the rest can be pretty painless. I have not talked to Andy DePaule for awhile, but I hope he is still alive. He is expert at design and he has excellent dedicated manufacture in Viet Nam. Andy is a "go-to" fellow for many fine and venerated luthiers. He is a very friendly man who enjoys these kinds of things just as much for the pleasure it brings to others.

If you want to keep it simple, he has many "fancy" multi-piece abalone and pearl items that could easily be inlaid into the standard shape TRC in rosewood or ebony. I would be glad to talk to him ( it is just an enjoyable opportunity to talk guitars) and perhaps have some samples for review if the project itself is endorsed. I realize I am new here, but I know lots of folks in the luthier world, from gifted hobbyists to talented and professional folks who feed the family building guitars. ( I am neither now, though there was a time when I could build a pretty nice dread, OM or LP type) and in the handtool world, I used to have classes in sharpening edged tools like chisels and planes and carving tools-and hunting knives.) Right now in my living room there is a walnut OM "boat" and a slope dread set of sides clamped into a mold ( nice imbuia). So, I know a little bit about the "making" side of beautiful guitars.I'm just trying to be helpful. The pictures posted when this topic was opened are quite classy.

One of the things that made the recent run special was that there was a design contest amongst the members of the forum, the final design was voted on by the members and the TRCs were cut specially for us by PRS on one of their machines in Stevensville.

I'm no poo pooing something sourced outside, but it would have no meaning for me personally.

I'd like to see the previous process repeated if we can get Shawn and the company interested again.

I'm no poo pooing something sourced outside, but it would have no meaning for me personally.

I'd like to see the previous process repeated if we can get Shawn and the company interested again.
I would enjoy seeing it handled the way we did it before too.

As a new fellow and at the bottom of the "Made in USA" ladder, I will shut up now. Best regards to all. I assume that if this happens we will be advised here.

Just to re-iterate my interest in such things, I'd be in for a few forum-oriented TRCs at least. And if they were offered in SE size, I'd get a few of those too. I see this is being mooted about and hopefully will gain some traction, so the more folks that express an interest the better. Unless PRS feels they are going to be overwhelmed with too much demand. Hmm...

I won't monitor this thread too closely, so if there is any forward progress...one way or the other...please PM me. Shawn was very persistent last time and was clear that it was an arduous task getting permission. Without Shawn's assistance and leadership, I don't think a PRS sanctioned TRC redux has much chance.

Just to state what I have stated before, the TRCs work on both Core and SEs just fine.
I have one on my Core 408, and on my SE Agelus and SE Tremonti Custom.
Slight gap at bottom of SEs, but nothing worth writing home about.
You would have to have your eye very close to see.

4.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

I got a response from a staff member. He is at least looking at this thread and a couple I gave him from the past run. There is no commitment yet, just looking.

Make no mistake about it, this is an involved process. Shawn and people in the design department went above and beyond for us last time. Considering the time and materials, I'd be surprised if PRS did little more than break even last time. They did us a huge favor.

Last time they cost $25 each plus shipping. Like Rob says, they were made to core model specs. They fit the SE models with a slight gap at the nut end. We'll be lucky and appreciative if we get another run. Don't expect them to make a different SE version. The cost could be the same or more or less. Be willing to pony up, or don't play.

The way forward is to voice your enthusiastic interest here, in this thread. How many might you want?

Back