Forgive my ignorance - one string too loud?

SkipK

Here's where I get to show my ignorance of pick-ups, electronics, and set-up.

I have a new S2 Custom - an absolutely beautiful guitar.

It seems to my ear, inexperienced though it may be, that the low E string is disproportionately loud, when played in any chord. I realize that sound is relative (and how dB are a log scale, etc.), but the e-string sounds like it is 1.5 - 2x as loud as it should be. Regardless of pickup selection, coil taps or no, and amp settings. Amp is a Spark practice amp. Have not noticed this with other instruments.

Is there something adjustable with pick-ups? Height? Or something else that I need to have someone qualified take a look at?

I will appreciate any expertise you might care to offer. Thanks.

Try lowering the pickups away from the string on that side a little. A quarter turn of the screw at a time will help zero you into the volume you desire.

Thanks. Which screw would that be? The one right under the string? The four corners? Or the single screw on each side?

The middle one on the side adjusts the entire side of the pickup up or down. The screws on the four corners remove the pickup. The individual screws on the pickup adjust individual string height.

I agree, lower the treble side a quarter or half turn and see how that goes. I wouldn't go adjusting individual string pole pieces just yet. Adjusting the treble side pickup screw should do it.

Remember which screw you turned, which way, how much, and it's easily reversible.

Good luck and congrats!

The middle one on the side adjusts the entire side of the pickup up or down. The screws on the four corners remove the pickup. The individual screws on the pickup adjust individual string height.

I agree, lower the treble side a quarter or half turn and see how that goes. I wouldn't go adjusting individual string pole pieces just yet. Adjusting the treble side pickup screw should do it.

Remember which screw you turned, which way, how much, and it's easily reversible.

Good luck and congrats!

I think the bass side might be better to begin with. OP said low E, which I’m assuming is the “fat” one.

@SkipK if the terms “bass” and “treble” side don’t mean anything to you, we mean:

Treble - high strings GBE
Bass - low strings EAD

Not to be confused with:

Treble pickup - Bridge
Bass pickup - neck

Which is another term used here frequently. You’ll soon catch up.

As @SinSir has said the screws on the corners on the pickup mounting ring are used to hold the pickup in the guitar. The two in the middle of the four corner screws are used to raise and lower the whole pickup within the mounting ring.

Good luck with adjusting.

PRS guitars tend to be very resonant. Sometimes there is a specific note that tends to resonate louder. You can often see a difference in the vibration of a string or strings. Sometimes you need to compensate, other times you don't. My S2 Custom 22 has a resonate frequency of B, on the 5th string. I lowered the neck pickup and raised all but the 5th pole screw, a half turn.

I think the bass side might be better to begin with. OP said low E, which I’m assuming is the “fat” one.

@SkipK if the terms “bass” and “treble” side don’t mean anything to you, we mean:

Treble - high strings GBE
Bass - low strings EAD

Not to be confused with:

Treble pickup - Bridge
Bass pickup - neck

Which is another term used here frequently. You’ll soon catch up.

As @SinSir has said the screws on the corners on the pickup mounting ring are used to hold the pickup in the guitar. The two in the middle of the four corner screws are used to raise and lower the whole pickup within the mounting ring.

Good luck with adjusting.

Got it. Thanks!

Skip it could also be an amp setting making one string too boomy, specially if its a bass string.

All suggestions are good

Also keep in mind that the spark tone settings should be tweaked for each different guitar. I adjust mine every time I change guitars for practice. Also. if the low E string is still too loud, turn the screw under the string down a quarter turn into the pickup housing. That screw is referred to as the pole piece. Fine tuning the pole pieces (only if necessary) can make things perfect to your ears.

If the p/u adjustments don’t do it you could always replace the Low E with a Monel Steel formulated one, they pick up a little softer.

The Monel sets I have are from Pyramid.

Back