For those who have ordered Private Stocks, I could use some help!

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

My only experience with Private Stocks thus far have been with existing (i.e. used) guitars. With the recent availability of some Brazilian rosewood, I'd like to place an order before the BRW is gone forever. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding exactly what specs I want...mostly in the bling department. For those who have ordered a Private Stock in the past, are there any recommendations? Things you'd do differently? Any pics of cool artistic touches?

First and foremost, I want this to be a tone monster. Of course, I want it to be gorgeous, cuz they ain't cheap! But if it sounds like crap, it's all for naught. What I'm thinking so far is basically a short-scale Modern Eagle 1, but dressed up a little.

DC245 (with the normal headstock...not the "Santana style")
BRW neck (obviously! :biggrin:)
Wide-Fat carve with very-slightly rounded shoulders
Stainless steel frets (Is that an option?)
Modern Eagle tuners (slightly different than Phase II, extra stabilizer screw...NOT open-back)
I want a Mann-Made trem...1-piece! Brass saddles?
Obeche body
Quilted maple top
Vintage Yellow finish...anyone seen one in Satin? I'm thinking maybe just gloss the top...

Tonewise, something simple...McCarty electronics, with Zebra pickups. 59/09 bridge, 53/10 neck. (Non-squabbin!)

By the way, here's the top I've selected:

DSCF2339_zpsabed2cef.jpg

Here's where I'm getting stuck...

Part of me wants it to look Old School with plain Mother of Pearl Birds. But then I think this is a special guitar, so I should dress her up. Perhaps abalone inlays? Just enough to dress her up from a normal ME1? Then I see stuff like Americana Birds and Artist III purfling. Decisions, decisions...

Any recommendations and photos will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad - not that I'm huge on bling, but I think the purfling on the fretboard of the Artist V and the inlays are pretty darn nice (if memory serves, the birds are paua heart with mop outlines):

DSC_0448.jpg

Very awesome woods you selected there! I'm not sure if stainless steel is on option on frets. I know the PTC doesn't offer them, but I'm sure if you flash the $$$ private stock will do it :D.

On the topic of inlays, have you considered maybe having mother of pearl J-birds, with a colored center that matches your finish? I always like that route. But so far, my favorite option is probably maple binding all round, but I know some aren't into binding.

Oh, also purfling like the Artist V above is quite nice.

Great wood selection you have. First off in the bling department, I feel the private stock finishes are so spectacular that they are bling on their own, so I don't add much to it. I used mixed hardware because I like the silver and gold and feel like it stands out from a stock guitar a bit.
Here is a neck with the Americana birds. They aren't used very often so give the guitar a special look.
CK_191SpaltNeck.JPG

As already mentioned, birds with outlines are a nice way to go. Any coloured mother of pearl with a white MOP outline looks great.

and on a dark neck, mammoth ivory is quite excellent
CK_3550ViolaFingerboard.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot about the satin question.
You don't see many satin private stocks, the gloss really does look like it was dipped in glass and has a very rich look to it. I like the satin guitars I have, but I don't think I would go that way with a private stock. That said, it you thought you wanted satin, it is a reversible decision, because PTC has done great gloss jobs on satin guitars.

I've decided against Americana birds. I really like them, but I'm leaning towards Artist III purfling. Has anyone see figured maple binding with purfling? That could either be awesome, or too much.

While the binding is not maple, it gives an idea of what it would look like.

115289-7.jpg

I also think these birds will work real well with a yellow finish.

183647-9.jpg

Last edited:
I think that looks killer, but I'd prefer that on an acoustic. I'll definitely stick with just purfling.

While the binding is not maple, it gives an idea of what it would look like.

115289-7.jpg

I also think these birds will work real well with a yellow finish.

183647-9.jpg

I went outlined old birds. Gold MOP inside with White MOP outline. Both Brent and Paul M. Suggested this combo. Later the same day in PS area I scoped a neck that looked awesome. I thought this would have been great for my build. I got closer...same as I had just spec'd. These guys know what works.

Yellow and blue makes green. If you really want to be sick, you could go with a yellow fading into green fading into blue dragon's breath! Also you can have them purf the body too. I'm awaiting my second PS and considering a third. One thing I can say from the experience is DON'T skimp!!! Go for it ALL the way. When you are spending that much bread, you will NOT regret a little extra to get the spectacular.

If you're spending the extra dough for a PS, might as well get one with a Peruvian/South American Mahogany body and neck. Doubt if it'll make a difference tone wise, especially with a maple top, but hey, you'll have an extra rare, special instrument with Peruvian.

I've never ordered a PS, but wanted to say the one you are ordering sounds like a dream guitar.

We each have our own tastes when it comes to finishes. I have always like Paua heart inlays, so I went with original birds with no outline on the fretboard and a silver boarder around the PS headstock eagle. Having a headstock veneer made out of the same material as the top, which in this case was redwood burl, is also nice. Think about a matching TRC also ...

IMG_0297.jpg

Bill,
Where's the rest of the guitar??? :) The headstock is beautiful...looks like real flames!

We each have our own tastes when it comes to finishes. I have always like Paua heart inlays, so I went with original birds with no outline on the fretboard and a silver boarder around the PS headstock eagle. Having a headstock veneer made out of the same material as the top, which in this case was redwood burl, is also nice. Think about a matching TRC also ...

IMG_0297.jpg

Back