For the eyes of PRS staff! How about? Suggestions for new SE models. Starting with...

Maertl513

Sherlock 513
Mark Holcomb.

Periphery is touring Germany. Mark Holcomb did a clinic at one of Germany´s GC ("session" in Frankfurt) in cooperation with PRS today before their gig in the evening.

From my perspective I would like to mention two things. PRO: good deal for presenting the brand PRS to the crowd by one of the players (Mark Tremonti is an other example to name.), CONS: Mark Holcomb´s guitar has been a limited run, remaining few are to be sold.
Wouldn´t it be more attractive for sales to feature a guitar which is not limited by a small window of three month for ordering one.
Second: A pricing of 3.600 USD is not as achieveable for the target group, who likes this style of music (djenty-esque prog). I guess those are young guys - in general 17 to 25 years old.
Therefore a SE model would be the right answer hooking them to the brand.

On the other hand I see such a guitar as a competetor with typical agents (Ibanez, Schecter, ESP/Ltd...).
As variations after launching: Long scale version, 7 string, Floyd Rose equipped...

The Tremonti SE is a good example for a blockbuster.

This is a YES from me too. Mark Holcomb has definitely put the PRS brand in front of a lot more eyes (it seems), but his guitar isn't very available because of the limited availability and the price point. I would absolutely buy an SE version. I think PRS messed up with keeping the SE 7 string at 25" scale length, and then coming out with the new SE baritones. But a Mark Holcomb SE would make up for it :top:

Maertl513 and I discussed this topic on FB and besides a Holcomb SE.

We both think a 7-String with extended scale length (fixed bridge/Floyd Rose) would be a very serious competitor to existing products by other brands. So +1 for your statement on the 25'' scale 7-String, bretwomack! ;)

@sergiodeblanc: It would be nice if PRS personnel uses the forum - besides their Private Stock Friday contributions - for polls regarding customer driven input about model improvements, new models, etc.
Get more in touch with the customer, integrate their ideas into business/product development.

The Holcomb would be a cool SE. It wouldn't have the full mojo, due to not having his sig pickups, but it would be interesting to see if they could do the satin finish. It would be a great drop tuning guitar due to the maple neck. My SE CU24 (maple neck) performs much better tuned down a whole step, the brightness keeps things tight and the highs are less harsh.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head that I would want as an SE, but I would love a DC3-esque S2. Well, and the Akesson to come back, seriously underrated SE. Between the SE and S2 lines, they have almost everything else already.

I'd simply like to see a few of the SE Custom 22 or 24 offered with upgraded USA Core model pickups. I know they did a small run for the Bernie Marsden model a few years back with the 53/10s.

Why not drop in the 57/08s or 59/09s with coil taps and offer a few hundred as limited additions ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll third the Holcomb-scale 7-string SE, it'd probably be good for me to move beyond the 24.5" scale.

And from another thread...
Hey, next time Paul Reed Smith himself does a periscope...
I remember the other outstanding question I had -- if someone thinks to ask him what non-mahogany tonewoods Neal Schon was talking about in his guitar, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

@sergiodeblanc: It would be nice if PRS personnel uses the forum - besides their Private Stock Friday contributions - for polls regarding customer driven input about model improvements, new models, etc.
Get more in touch with the customer, integrate their ideas into business/product development.

Ehh.. they don't have a huge social media team and Hunter is killing it on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram all day where I'm sure they reach a larger amount of the population.

I'm grateful for PS Friday and them giving us a spot to talk, but we need to realize we're more like dudes partying in their parking lot yelling ideas to employees walking to and from their cars on the way to work, than we are a valuable focus group. If we were, they would've made a thousand pink sparkled CE's and Core 7-Strings by now.

Ehh.. they don't have a huge social media team and Hunter is killing it on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram all day where I'm sure they reach a larger amount of the population.

I'm grateful for PS Friday and them giving us a spot to talk, but we need to realize we're more like dudes partying in their parking lot yelling ideas to employees walking to and from their cars on the way to work, than we are a valuable focus group. If we were, they would've made a thousand pink sparkled CE's and Core 7-Strings by now.

It´s an argument!
I worked a few years in a Development Division. We developed concepts, discussed with the user about his experiences and expectations fullfilling his task, discussed with the industry. In fact the procurement deals started in general in the six-diggit area. From my perspective only a few of the contrators were really aware of the need, because they took and take care about the user´s point of view. But most of the companies think they are right with their analysis. And certainly you have to rate and moderate suggestions (short time horizon, long time horizon, budget, etc.)
Of course PRS personnel is addicted to instruments, that makes it more easy for a company to develop things inhouse (in my branch industry personnel has LESS or NO personal experience of the business they deliver with products or solutions).
This the official PRS forum, it´s about showing off with our PRS items, convincing other users buying this, doing that, communicate experiences.
It´s an ocean of information. Maybe there is someone tasked to cross-check certain threads on a regular basis.
But it would be more efficient work - if I as a company decided to use this forum - to establish an extra area where I asked for ideas to single topics. Installing a poll with an end date. Analysing. Prepare a briefing for the Heads of Business Units. Decision making process.

And noticing Paul at PRS Guitars Periscope 12052015 where somebody mentioned, a PRS SE Paul´s Guitar would be a affortable model and Paul´s answer likewise 'Good idea, never thought of it!' I think more and more I´m right with my effort and suggestions.

You won´t dare.
Man+i+agree+with+you+chose+to+become+a+combat+_c786a6e17ed7f32d330fa1919e59e729.jpg

It is still and only a suggestion or idea or recommendation with no demand of fullfilling. PRS could take care of or not.
To give a thought about certain things isn´t under prohibition, is it?

Value selling is core issue. What is the demand of the customer?
Starting with my opening post there have been a few who would like buying a Mark Holcomb SE.
I can´t rate if this is enough for running that as a new project. Personnally I would make a poll among the PRS community.
I would take care about my figures of sales, the feedback of my traders talking to customers, reactions on FB, Twitter, and other means. That´s part of information gathering. Then taking time for analysis.
This leads to a decision making process with mininum two serious alternatives. Approval or denial.

Back