For Les (and other recording dudes)

sergiodeblanc

So I have built a few studios and will still do so on occasion, but while I love my computer and would never want to be without it, I don't get the same sense of gear lust over a box of software like I did with hardware... and that's kind of a good thing for my wallet.

Tonight I went to a buddies studio to look at building another vocal booth, and during the discussion he mentioned that he picked something up I might be interested in......

photo_zpsda672691.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::adore:

Talk about F@$kin' AWESOME!!! This twenty channel bada$$ entered my orbit about ten years too late. Can I justify putting this in a two bedroom townhouse? I mean there's at least twenty channels of pre-API-API preamps in this thing!!!! Oh! This would make the ultimate summing mixer.

Wow, was that built for a TV studio?

I believe so.

Was that used on Pet Sounds?

Ha! That was all I could think about the whole time I was there! :rofl:

Love the EMI style faders. Does it work?

Mostly. The center section (main L/R) and VU's were the only thing disconnected. (but still in a box) Besides... you know I love a project! Sadly I believe this will be chopped up and parted out, it's kind of a shame but maybe I'll throw down for a channel or two, he racks these kinds of things and sell them.

I believe so.

Ha! That was all I could think about the whole time I was there! :rofl:

Mostly. The center section (main L/R) and VU's were the only thing disconnected. (but still in a box) Besides... you know I love a project! Sadly I believe this will be chopped up and parted out, it's kind of a shame but maybe I'll throw down for a channel or two, he racks these kinds of things and sell them.

A shame he's going to part it out, in a way! Let me know what's happening if you stay in touch with him on that -- the channel strips could be awesome.

Let me know what's happening if you stay in touch with him on that -- the channel strips could be awesome.

Will do. Feel free to PM me if you are ever looking for something different from the usual suspects in regards to mic pres and such, he has a hoard of random pieces and is always letting me check stuff out.... better yet, next time you're in Chicago bring your wallet and a miners helmet and I'll take you over there.

Will do. Feel free to PM me if you are ever looking for something different from the usual suspects in regards to mic pres and such, he has a hoard of random pieces and is always letting me check stuff out.... better yet, next time you're in Chicago bring your wallet and a miners helmet and I'll take you over there.

Cool! That would be a fun thing to do!

I have no idea what that thing is or what you guys are talking about, but that thing just LOOKS cool! :rock:

I have no idea what that thing is or what you guys are talking about, but that thing just LOOKS cool! :rock:

Ha! It's a broadcast mixer, the type of thing a TV station would use to allow on-camera talent levels to be mixed, whether that's a bunch of lavaliere microphones and booms, or a live band, etc. The basic difference between that and a recording mixing desk would be that it doesn't need the ability to send signal simultaneously to tape recorder channels for recording and playback of individual tracks.

So it is likely to have fewer "busses" for that purpose. It probably would have fewer auxiliary inputs and outputs for outboard processing, since less would be needed.

Other than that, it's the same kind of item that you'd once have found in recording studios. One cool thing is that the faders are on semi-circular mounts, the way the old EMI console faders were set up. Whether this was for the purpose of greater tactile feel when moving faders live, or simply because that's how the machines worked mechanically, I don't know.

It's just another expensive habit, you have one of those already don't you?:p

Yeah, it's a RCA BCC-100 broadcast console from the late 60's, I wish I would have gotten a shot of the panels that handled the I/O.. they were about four feet long and two feet wide that mounted to a wall in the control room. I'm pretty sure it had direct outs for a tape machine, either way I'm trying to talk the guy into keeping it. When I go back to do proper measurements for the studio project I'll try to get more info and pics!

One cool thing is that the faders are on semi-circular mounts, the way the old EMI console faders were set up. Whether this was for the purpose of greater tactile feel when moving faders live, or simply because that's how the machines worked mechanically, I don't know.

Thats one of the first things I noticed, and I agree that it feels far better than being flat. I have used sound mixing boards years ago with a similar arc.

Back