FOR EXPERTS: two silly tecnical questions about Private Stocks.

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
Hi guys, I'm on my first order for a Private Stock (I chose a 594 HB II), and I have two quick questions for you.

1) The sheet with the order was signed and officially started on 22 april 2021.
My dealer originally told me "it usually takes about 16 months to wait".
However, last month PRS made me choose the wood for the body and this week they told me that they are building the neck and the fretboard.
Considering these two events, is it possible (in your opinion) that the guitar will arrive in a few months rather than a year? I mean, if they are already building the fretboard how is it possible that a year must pass?

2) Since it's my first Private Stock I would like to have some photos of the work in progress (I mean of the body, of the neck, etc.). I'm asking this not to "correct" PRS luthiers while they work, but simply because I'd like to keep these photos for me.
But the dealer was quite rude (all the time) telling me that he cannot make this request to PRS because "if they took pictures of each guitar several times, the waiting time would be 10 years".
Honestly, I'd still like to try asking. The PRS referent for my order is Tina Sears. Can anyone tell me how I can contact her to ask directly to her this request?

Last edited:
And you’re still doing business with him/her?
1) he is the only Italian dealer, so I order from him or from abroad and honestly I don't want to;
2) when you give € 3,000 in advance, you certainly don't give him the money and just leave because he says no to the photos.

0. What'd ya get? What'd ya get? You can't say you ordered a private stock and not tell us what you're getting! We live vicariously through you! :D

1. I'm not aware of the order that they do things, but fretboard still sounds early in the process. I would be prepared to wait the entire 16 months that was predicted. When I ordered my Artist package which had to be built from scratch (but with all pre-designed, non-selectable options other than neck/fretboard wood (maple, in my case) and colour (purple, in my case)), I was quoted 4-5 months when I ordered it in September of 2016, and it arrived at the dealer in May 2017.

And okay, it was a singlecut hollowbody, and I still love it. It's definitely a keeper.

I’ve never been to the factory, I don’t have a PS, and I never spec’d one, but I have heard PRSh say the neck takes about a month to make. The neck blank is put away for days to settle after each set of cuts and machining are accomplished. In this way the neck is allowed to move and let the wood assume the shape it wants to be in. This is why PRS necks are so stable. The neck could be made in a day, however those necks warp and twist as they settle and why frets sprout out of the neck within a couple of weeks of fabrication. PRSh refuses to cut those corners because he builds stable guitars made to exacting high standards we all love.

It makes sense the neck would be started before the body. My guess is that the factory will have the body assembled right about the time the finishing touches are made to the neck. Then there is the possibility the neck will sit on a shelf fully assembled until the production line is ready to assemble the body.

Congrats on your new guitar, wish I had one in production.

I’ve never been to the factory, I don’t have a PS, and I never spec’d one, but I have heard PRSh say the neck takes about a month to make. The neck blank is put away for days to settle after each set of cuts and machining are accomplished. In this way the neck is allowed to move and let the wood assume the shape it wants to be in. This is why PRS necks are so stable. The neck could be made in a day, however those necks warp and twist as they settle and why frets sprout out of the neck within a couple of weeks of fabrication. PRSh refuses to cut those corners because he builds stable guitars made to exacting high standards we all love.

It makes sense the neck would be started before the body. My guess is that the factory will have the body assembled right about the time the finishing touches are made to the neck. Then there is the possibility the neck will sit on a shelf fully assembled until the production line is ready to assemble the body.

Congrats on your new guitar, wish I had one in production.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I remember a factory tour video where Jack says the same thing.

Also something about guys/gals carrying out a “time and motion” study saying that PRS could save a bunch of money if they sped up the neck building process, which they refuse categorically to do.

As you’ve said they CNC the neck blanks out and stack them to allow movement, prior to each process. Fretboards are dried to about 3-5% water content, I believe.

Please don’t take any of this as gospel, as it is from addled brain of an aging fool.

Like @veinbuster said, troll the Private Stock Friday photos. I was able to retroactively do that and found a production pick of the neck on my PS (that I did not spec). Another thing I would say is, maybe try and contact Mikko, the guy who does Private Stock Friday photos. Let him know how keen you are on getting some pix of your guitar going through production, and maybe he can oblige.

As for the bit about "it would take them 10 years to build one if they took photos", I say "no way Jose"! Hell, they could set up cameras at key points in the PS stations, and have it snap a pic a minute. The process of going through them to find ones for you might be a bit arduous, but you could let PS customers or dealers do that heavy lifting. Point is, I know it could be done for little cost and no time on the part of the PS builders.

The guitar you spec'd has a lot in common with my first PRS that I purchased in Feb '21. McCarty 594 HBII Wood Library (from Ish Guitars) with one piece flame maple front and back. Here is a thread that has some pix of it if you would like to check it out - Hoorman Gitfiddle - second post on that 4th page - post #62! It has become my daily player for two reasons. Lighter weight (more than 2 lbs lighter than my PS CU24) and tone!

As for the wait, it is what it is and just be prepared to wait the full monty. If it comes early, it will be a pleasant surprise. I am intending on speccing one later this year, and luckily I have enough other stringed items to keep me happy while I wait as I am sure you do as well ;~)) Best of luck with your build!!

Happy thumb twidlin'!
MW

It has become my daily player for two reasons. Lighter weight (more than 2 lbs lighter than my PS CU24) and tone!
yay, you're not the first to tell me this about Hollowbody II and I'm starting to believe it: after all, the lightness of a guitar is really comfortable.

maybe try and contact Mikko, the guy who does Private Stock Friday photos. Let him know how keen you are on getting some pix of your guitar going through production, and maybe he can oblige.
this is really good advice, but can you tell me how I can do it? Does he have an account here in the forum? Or an email? Or an instagram account?

this is really good advice, but can you tell me how I can do it? Does he have an account here in the forum? Or an email? Or an instagram account?
Yes he has an account here. He uses it to post in Private Stock Friday. Click his name and then click the option to start a conversation with him.

Last edited:
1) I wouldn’t count on it being early, but you might get lucky
2) I could understand PRS not wanting to set a precedent for in progress photos for every Private Stock. I would troll Private Stock Friday for peeks.
I second this - I found a couple pictures of mine in the PSF thread

Back