For Beatles Fans...

That was incredibly cool.

It reminded me of the creativity involved in Michael Hedges' material. Obviously, it's different, but very creative nonetheless.

Oh man, I love that guy!!! Reminds me that I should pull out that CD and listen to it again.

I saw him perform live at a Guitar Summit show at U of Mich's Rackham Auditorium, along with some other famous players, including jazz and classical, and he brought down the house. Even the classical and jazz players were clearly in awe of what he was doing, and said so.

I saw him perform live at a Guitar Summit show at U of Mich's Rackham Auditorium, along with some other famous players, including jazz and classical, and he brought down the house. Even the classical and jazz players were clearly in awe of what he was doing, and said so.

I assume you're still talking about Michael Hedges. I saw him around half a dozen times at various venues here in Atlanta. Without a doubt, he was the most entertaining solo performer I've had the privilege to see. Vocals, flute electric and acoustic guitar, interpreting poetry.... you name it. What a huge loss when he passed.
The guy in the video is incredible, that slide neck is a very clever invention, but not to take anything away from him, he is in many ways standing on the shoulders of the giant that was Michael Hedges. He does stretch very high indeed, though.

I assume you're still talking about Michael Hedges. I saw him around half a dozen times at various venues here in Atlanta. Without a doubt, he was the most entertaining solo performer I've had the privilege to see. Vocals, flute electric and acoustic guitar, interpreting poetry.... you name it. What a huge loss when he passed.
The guy in the video is incredible, that slide neck is a very clever invention, but not to take anything away from him, he is in many ways standing on the shoulders of the giant that was Michael Hedges. He does stretch very high indeed, though.

Agreed.

Big Hedges fan. A friend of mine turned me on to him, and I was lucky enough to see him three times and meet him a couple, the last being just a few weeks before he died. I got him to sign what might be the best picture I've ever taken, and I gave him a copy of another one. Both were taken at an outdoor show - the one I gave him had him at the edge of the stage with a little girl just staring at him, and he seemed to really like that.

The guy was an amazing player, and he composed at a level that I know I can't understand, but man, I love digging into his stuff and seeing it analyzed. Gives me a new appreciation for some of those things.

I saw Michael Hedges twice at Humboldt State in Arcata, CA. Both shows were completely different. The second was after the release of Taproot. Both shows just stretched my mind as to what boundaries an artist could push (including creating his own stringed instruments). After each show he came out, sat on the edge of stage, and talked with every last person who wanted to meet him. (I got him to sign my copy of Taproot at the last show.) He seemed so humble and self-effacing, and such a real human being. I will never forget him. Super happy to see others remember him as well.

Thanks for posting that...very little surprises me these days, but break down what he’s doing, and it’s pretty amazing!

I saw Michael Hedges twice at Humboldt State in Arcata, CA. Both shows were completely different. The second was after the release of Taproot. Both shows just stretched my mind as to what boundaries an artist could push (including creating his own stringed instruments). After each show he came out, sat on the edge of stage, and talked with every last person who wanted to meet him. (I got him to sign my copy of Taproot at the last show.) He seemed so humble and self-effacing, and such a real human being. I will never forget him. Super happy to see others remember him as well.

I have boots of a couple Arcata shows. Seemed like he played there frequently.

What amazed me was just how natural playing seemed for him - like he was walking or breathing. And his knowledge of his music and everything that went with it. The guy who turned me on to him pointed out his concert rider online - he was very specific about what equipment he wanted. And how quickly he recognized issues - I have one bootleg where he switches guitars, hits a chord and there’s a little bit of woof or feedback to it, so he turns to his roadie/tech and says something like, “Turn 480 down 2 db.” Hits the chord again and it’s perfect.

At the last show I saw him, as we were milling around after to wait to meet him, someone walked past and said to the person they were with, “That has to be what seeing Hendrix was like.”

Pretty sure he grew up in Arcata, and went to Arcata High School. Sort of a local hero, and he returned regularly to perform.

Back