Floyd

I will say the difference in quality with PRS floyds follows the same direction with non-floyd PRS guitars. I had an SE floyd guitar and even with the 1000 series floyd it did everything a quality floyd guitar should. The three core floyds i've owned all had thier own personalities. The core models really did it for me. I've been converted to PRS floyd, selling all 4 of my floyd guitars. I just wasn't playing my Jackson PC1 anymore and SE floyd once i had the core.

I love my floyd CU24..and as long as i have played and worked on and owned many guitar types...I've never found the floyd difficult to set up/tune. I guess i just found my method and it's pretty effortless for me. I do change my strings on all my guitars about every two months so i do get practice. I can probably chalk it all up to taking apart and repairing lab equipment in the past, some of that work can teach you patience or new vocabulary.

I was just looking at one on Reverb today, located a couple of hours west of me in Austin. I didn’t realize PRS did real FR guitars before the Waring one. It’s a Custom 24, in a really attractive green finish (Leprechaun Tooth, I think it was called). Really nice looking, but the PRS regular trems do all I need.

lkfIupk.jpg

Last edited:
I was just looking at one on Reverb today, located a couple of hours west of me in Austin. I didn’t realize PRS did real FR guitars before the Waring one. It’s a Custom 24, in a really attractive green finish (Leprechaun Tooth, I think it was called). Really nice looking, but the PRS regular trems do all I need.
31887491-2014-prs-custom-24-floyd-leprechaun-tooth

Saw that too...great price...AND satin maple neck...which is cool!

I've only got experience of two Floyd Rose guitars. The first is a cheap Yamaha 420s with a cheap floating Floyd copy on it. I used that for years in the early 2000s and never really had problems with it. Re-stringing was a little more involved, but not what I'd call difficult, and once strung and the strings were thoroughly stretched it would stay in tune for weeks or months at a time with only the occasional tweak of a fine tuner. I did have to put a little bit of aluminium tape under the saddle of the high E string to raise it's action a bit, and I also used to pack out the thread of the trem bar with PTFE tape to stop the slop, but apart from that it never gave me a problem.

And I've just bought myself a 2010 EVH Wolfgang with the decked Floyd Rose. Again no problems so far. This is supposedly a mix of the Korean and German parts as per Eddies preferences as to which bits he liked best, and it is noticeably better engineered than the Yamaha copy. Apart from having to loosen and tighten a couple of bolts when changing a string, living with it is exactly the same as any other guitar - with the added benefit of rarely going out of tune

I have a DW CE24 Floyd and was rather annoyed that a $2500 guitar had a FR1000. I swapped it for a 1984 Floyd Reissue tremolo and the tone and feel improved. While I used to LOVE Floyd Rose bridges, and have never had a problem setting them up, I just prefer the regular PRS trem these days. It's just as stable with the tuning, and will do almost all the same tricks.

Here's a pic of my DW CE24....

Isn't it great when that stuff comes (shut up, Alnus!) to you? Or comes back to you? I love when that happens. And when you start playing something and realize you don't know what it is but it sounds familiar and then it clicks and you realize not only were you not trying to play that song, you never really played it before.

Have to check that out. I have two Floyd guitars - a Jackson Rhoads and an EVH with the cheapo Floyd that's decked and has a D-Tuna.

How do you like the D-Tuna? I've thought about picking up a guitar with one. I have a '89 Charvel Model 6 with a Jackson licensed Floyd but I'm guessing a D-Tuna wouldn't fit on it.

I have a DW CE24 Floyd and was rather annoyed that a $2500 guitar had a FR1000. I swapped it for a 1984 Floyd Reissue tremolo and the tone and feel improved. While I used to LOVE Floyd Rose bridges, and have never had a problem setting them up, I just prefer the regular PRS trem these days. It's just as stable with the tuning, and will do almost all the same tricks.

Here's a pic of my DW CE24....

I look at that guitar and I ask, "How much more sparkly could it be?" And the answer is "None. None more sparkly."

I have two Ibanez Jems. One of the first run in desert sun yellow and one of the first run in Floral Pattern. When set up well, they are very stable Unfortunately I find setting them up a royal pain.... :D You can do things with a Floyd that are very hard to achieve with a conventional trem imo.
I prefer the Ibanez Edge over the Floyd by the way. And I've played several guitars with Floyds (Charvel, Kramer, Jackson etc). So a PRS with a Floyd isn't on my shortlist.:cool:

I agree, the Original Ibanez Edge is FAR superior to a regular Floyd Rose. I have a first year 540s with an Edge, and it is the most stable guitar I have ever used. Mine still has the old back lock system installed....

My yellow Jem has the palmrest . It was a vast improvement but only a few of the first ones were shipped that way.
for those who don't know what it lookes like https://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1772&catid=member&imageuser=15474
Not my jem by the way

@Iceman101 That's killer that you have the palmrest!! I always wanted one of those very early Jems. By the time I could afford one, I wasn't that interested anymore. I debated the 30th anniversary model but I didn't find the colors "right" so I bypassed getting one.

@Iceman101 That's killer that you have the palmrest!! I always wanted one of those very early Jems. By the time I could afford one, I wasn't that interested anymore. I debated the 30th anniversary model but I didn't find the colors "right" so I bypassed getting one.

My PRS's get the most playtime, but every once in a while I grab one of the Jems just for fun :D

Back