Ryan Hays

Hi guys,
I have a PRs se Cu24 with a normal floating trem. I play a lot of Van Halen and I’m finding I need more range on the trem. On the PRs se floating trem I know I could improve tuning stability, but I need more range for divebombs as the trem right now has not even close to enough range to divebomb. As for the Floyd, I don’t want to rout the body. I know that routing the body isn’t mandatory, but wouldn’t the action sit too high, even if i set it to dive only? I have seen people put non routed Floyd’s on strats and they have to shim the neck, which obviously isn’t an option for me. Will the Floyd Rose (original series) have an ok action? If not, are there any alternative that have good range and hold tune (preferably double locking, if you divebomb with nonlocking it never works,)
Thanks and I look forward to your answers

Hi guys,
I have a PRs se Cu24 with a normal floating trem. I play a lot of Van Halen and I’m finding I need more range on the trem. On the PRs se floating trem I know I could improve tuning stability, but I need more range for divebombs as the trem right now has not even close to enough range to divebomb. As for the Floyd, I don’t want to rout the body. I know that routing the body isn’t mandatory, but wouldn’t the action sit too high, even if i set it to dive only? I have seen people put non routed Floyd’s on strats and they have to shim the neck, which obviously isn’t an option for me. Will the Floyd Rose (original series) have an ok action? If not, are there any alternative that have good range and hold tune (preferably double locking, if you divebomb with nonlocking it never works,)
Thanks and I look forward to your answers
Honestly, you would be better off finding one of the SE models that have a Floyd from the factory.

Back in the old days (before Steve Vai), Floyds didn't have routs and people could dive bomb just fine. The routs were invented for pulling the bar up. The thing that gives the Floyd so much downward pitch range is the locking nut. The PRS standard trem has pretty fair downward range, but not enough for the end of "Eruption" if that's what you're going after. I read recently that it was actually an electronic pitch effect that was used on the recording, so consider that.

A no-cost thing to try on your SE is to try tightening the springs so the back of the trem sits on the body. It'll affect action and trem feel, but if it gives you enough downward range, you may decide it's worth it.

Back in the old days (before Steve Vai), Floyds didn't have routs and people could dive bomb just fine. The routs were invented for pulling the bar up. The thing that gives the Floyd so much downward pitch range is the locking nut. The PRS standard trem has pretty fair downward range, but not enough for the end of "Eruption" if that's what you're going after. I read recently that it was actually an electronic pitch effect that was used on the recording, so consider that.

A no-cost thing to try on your SE is to try tightening the springs so the back of the trem sits on the body. It'll affect action and trem feel, but if it gives you enough downward range, you may decide it's worth it.
Thanks, I’ll try it

Ryan, just keep an eye on the usual auction sites and FB marketplace.

Bargains can be had, there are always people who buy on a whim and realise they can’t be the next guitar hero.

This is the time for you to swoop in and make them a cheeky offer.

Happy hunting/experimenting.

I was wrong! I just did a little google-fu and you CAN mount a Floyd to your guitar.
Do a little search and you’ll get some info. Even if it shows a core model, it’s basically the same installation.
Don’t forget about the modifications for the locking nut!

I knew that a guitar with a top mounted floyd (without the body route) need the neck to be tilted backward, just like the tune-o matic bridge on the gibsons.
Too much hassle and money.
I would just sell yours and buy the SE floyd.

Thanks, I’ll try it
I tried it, and came up with some problems. For one, it doesn’t stay even close to in tune, and also my trem arm bends when I try to use it. I can’t get full range of motion just because the trem arm is too flimsy!

So, I did some research and it seems like everything will be fine with a flat mounted system as long as the neck angle is correct. For strats the neck pocket has to be modified, but some guitars don’t. Music man wolfgangs have the neck at the appropriate angle already, and they use flat mounts with no routing. Does anybody know if the PRs se has the correct neck angle to allow a flat mounted system?

I was wrong! I just did a little google-fu and you CAN mount a Floyd to your guitar.
Do a little search and you’ll get some info. Even if it shows a core model, it’s basically the same installation.
Don’t forget about the modifications for the locking nut!
I know, I’m just skeptical to try it because once I go for it it’s kind of hard to go back. I might buy a ofr with free returns just to mock it up and see if it will work

You’ll be in a much better spot just selling yours and buying what you want. Used Cu24 SEs can be had for about $650.

I tried it, and came up with some problems. For one, it doesn’t stay even close to in tune, and also my trem arm bends when I try to use it. I can’t get full range of motion just because the trem arm is too flimsy!
Ok, I did some more stuff and now it stays in tune better. I still need a better trem arm tho :(

So, I did some research and it seems like everything will be fine with a flat mounted system as long as the neck angle is correct. For strats the neck pocket has to be modified, but some guitars don’t. Music man wolfgangs have the neck at the appropriate angle already, and they use flat mounts with no routing. Does anybody know if the PRs se has the correct neck angle to allow a flat mounted system?
On bolt on neck guitars, you can put a slanted shim on the neck pocket.
On set neck, if neck is parallel to the body (like PRSes with tremolo system) you have to route the body to have the floyd at the right height.
Again, is too much work for an SE, just sell yours and buy the right one.

Back