Floor Pedal Multieffects (replace Alesis Mini/Microverb)

LaPanthere

We don't just have Heidi/Rolex in Switzerland :D
Hello all

Well, I need to make some modifications on my setup, my Alesis Midiverb II/Microverb III are really outdated and I need something I can control with the feet, and not just have a single effect available with my on/off-switch.

I don't like too much programming or midi-setup, and I don't need a multieffect with amp/cab-simulators or 200 distortions. What i need is a unit that ^rovides me with quality modulation effect - reverbs, delays etc. easy to handle and to use.

My favorite is the TC G-System, but after reading tons of feedbacks and the white pages it seems difficult to handle/setup and needs tons of supplementary material to be tamed. The little sister, Nova-System, if bypassing the drive-section just using the effect-loop for the effects I desire seems to be rather difficult to program, so not really plug-play'n go as well.

Do you have any recommendations on a pedal with similar options like the G-System but doesn't need tons of hours and investigations for a clean setup with a single amp (I use a Bugera 333XL)? Something that lets me control it easily and switch/add single effects at a glance like I could do on the TC - but without the headache to set it up properly? I looked up several pedals that seem to be fine, but most aren't very versatile with eventually 2 effects available instantly without programming or changing base sound/bank/settings.

Or did the most recent Nova-/G-System got a easier to handle with the latest updates?

Thanks alot for your opinions!

Check out the Line 6 M9. I ran its' big brother, the M13 for years. Very decent sounding reverbs, delays, mods, plus drive and dynamics that you don't have to use if you don't want to, and it's barely more complex than a stompbox.

Check out the Line 6 M9. I ran its' big brother, the M13 for years. Very decent sounding reverbs, delays, mods, plus drive and dynamics that you don't have to use if you don't want to, and it's barely more complex than a stompbox.

+1 on the M9. Great little box. Also, new stuff like the Headrush. Looks fairly user friendly.

Can't speak about the newer options, but I have a G-System and don't find it particularly difficult to control. There's a ton of stuff in there if you want to dig deep, but I haven't had to. I don't have many of my own presets, but they weren't particularly hard to set up. Some info could be a lot clearer, but a little experimentation reined that in (not that I remember it now). They have software to edit it via USB - I think there may have been some minor issues with that.

Thanks for the feedbacks - well the M-9 is a modeller pedal with lots of distortion/over drive I absolutely don't need - i am old school and am really just looking for something like the G*System with ONLY modulation effects like provided by my vintage Alesis ... You might tell that it is more versatile but with a 3-channel head and a modified V-Twin I have 12 base sounds from clean to super overdriven, I have all I need in terms of amp/cab so no need for a modeller (or OD/Distortion) - and with the experiences I had I am rather hostile to Line6. I recently traded in a Line6 Echo-Park for my Boss OC-2 Octaver and it is - really not top to use and the effects provided don't come close to my 80's Alesis in whatever mode I try. I also tested several other Line6 products some years ago and thought they are rather sterile - maybe fine for direct-to-pc but not for vintage rock/metal if you are used to analogue equippment with minimal configuration (amp + just amodulation unit & wah wah). Of course I could go for multiple pedals for what I need, but in terms of budgets and need to dance on stage it's not what I search.

Can't speak about the newer options, but I have a G-System and don't find it particularly difficult to control. There's a ton of stuff in there if you want to dig deep, but I haven't had to. I don't have many of my own presets, but they weren't particularly hard to set up. Some info could be a lot clearer, but a little experimentation reined that in (not that I remember it now). They have software to edit it via USB - I think there may have been some minor issues with that.

Thanks for your return, maybe it's caused by several amps, but reading the feedback and the white pages (96 pages how to really setup the G-System) made me suffer - I had TC pedals before (SCF Stereo Chorus Flanger & XII Flanger) and I love the sound of the modulation effects, it's really pro level - I still have it on my list (as well as the Nova) especially as the price tag has really dropped 50% since Behringer bought TC Electronic. Unfortunately there is no shop around in my region +100 miles where I could test the G-System, but it provides anything I would need. Eventually I will order one from Thomann, with their 30 days satisfied or refund there is not much to loose and a lot of time to check if it works well without too much headache with my Bugera.

Eventide H9 might have what you’re looking for. It’s a fully pro unit, and operating it via Bluetooth with an IOS, computer, or Android device is both very simple and beats the hell out of a cryptic typical pedal interface. You can even get your tuner off your board, it has one. No getting down on your hands and knees to program it, either; while you can do programming on the hardware, using a device is so much more civilized!

Its only drawback is that it will only do one algorithm at a time, though a few algorithms incorporate more than one effect.

The sound quality is stellar. The effects were derived from their H3000-H8000 studio hardware boxes that have been used on a zillion records. The reverbs, delays and modulations are gorgeous, and of course Eventide is known for having the best pitch algorithms in the studio world.

I like it so much that I have two on my board for various tasks, and bought one for my son that he used on every record he produced and played on after he got it, including the 30 seconds to Mars stuff. They used it on both guitars and synths (I have a pic of the tracking room where it’s sitting next to the computer, the only hardware effects box in the room).

I had a Nova System and liked it, but it’s bulky. The H9 is also very light in weight.

Certainly worth checking out if you don’t need more than one effect at a time. Here’s a shot of my pedalboard, the H9s are the white pedals on the left. I use the Mission expression pedal that’s on the board with them as well.

0Vpz8SD.jpg

Last edited:
What Les said :)

I used to have some Line6 stuff, but the Eventide was noticeably better in quality. Thinking about getting the Ox-9 to make it easier to switch patches though. I’m pretty lazy :)

Thanks for your return, maybe it's caused by several amps, but reading the feedback and the white pages (96 pages how to really setup the G-System) made me suffer - I had TC pedals before (SCF Stereo Chorus Flanger & XII Flanger) and I love the sound of the modulation effects, it's really pro level - I still have it on my list (as well as the Nova) especially as the price tag has really dropped 50% since Behringer bought TC Electronic. Unfortunately there is no shop around in my region +100 miles where I could test the G-System, but it provides anything I would need. Eventually I will order one from Thomann, with their 30 days satisfied or refund there is not much to loose and a lot of time to check if it works well without too much headache with my Bugera.

I think the G-System can get pretty complex, but you don't necessarily have to dig down that deep. There's a lot of stuff out there about using the 4-cable method to put at least some of the effects into the amp's effects loop - I've never done that. There's also some stuff about controlling the amp channel from the unit as well. I've never done that, either, since I'm not gigging, but I want to say @vchizzle had done that at one point.

Digging deeper into the unit is one of those things that I've said I'm going to do for years and just never done. Maybe I need to bump that back up the list!

I think the G-System can get pretty complex, but you don't necessarily have to dig down that deep. There's a lot of stuff out there about using the 4-cable method to put at least some of the effects into the amp's effects loop - I've never done that. There's also some stuff about controlling the amp channel from the unit as well. I've never done that, either, since I'm not gigging, but I want to say @vchizzle had done that at one point.

Digging deeper into the unit is one of those things that I've said I'm going to do for years and just never done. Maybe I need to bump that back up the list!

The way I figure it is that you paid for all that stuff it does - it’s a great piece of gear - might as well dig in! Though I’ll admit that I kinda like mastering the gear, since I’ve mastered little else!

Thanks for the feedback Alan

I looked into many things and for what I really want/need either the Nova or the G-Swstem are still on top of the list. Sure the Eventides H9 are top too, but don't allow me to just keep a basic reverb sound and for the solo kick in a delay, or a chorus to wet up the chorus etc. In my configuration it will be completely go to the amps effect loop to have the effects after the preamp stage.

From what I read about the G-System it's not the 2/3 or 4 cable method or controlling the amps channels etc what scared me a little, but all those comments about ''crappy sound if not set up correctly spending some hours - read the white pages first'' - the comments that I'd need to but multiple stuff to have a noiseless correct setup, that it's all but plug'n'play and so on. I was looking at those famous Laird Williams white pages - a pdf document of 94 (!!!) pages :D

''Here are some general guidelines that the configuration section of this paper follows. 1) Attack noise at its source. For example, don‟t use a gate to filter out noise from ground loop hum. Use an ISO box so the ground loop noise never happens. You may still need the gate for other types of noise – but you will be able to have a much lighter touch with the gate and it will impact your dynamics less. 2) Use true, balanced connections for long cable runs. 3) Where it is applicable and you don‟t want to spend the money on balancing, take advantage of pseudo-balanced connections. 4) Isolate grounds on all audio interconnections. 5) Use well-shielded cables made from high-quality components. 6) Don‟t forget your guitar as a source of noise. Have a tech optimize its noise rejection/prevention capabilities.''

Flying over the first couple of pages of those white pages what I have to do before playing gives me just a headache - but I think I will just check one day and see what it does - I'll have a 30-day satisfied or money back guarantee to take some time looking at it :D

Thanks for the feedback Alan

I looked into many things and for what I really want/need either the Nova or the G-Swstem are still on top of the list. Sure the Eventides H9 are top too, but don't allow me to just keep a basic reverb sound and for the solo kick in a delay, or a chorus to wet up the chorus etc. In my configuration it will be completely go to the amps effect loop to have the effects after the preamp stage.

From what I read about the G-System it's not the 2/3 or 4 cable method or controlling the amps channels etc what scared me a little, but all those comments about ''crappy sound if not set up correctly spending some hours - read the white pages first'' - the comments that I'd need to but multiple stuff to have a noiseless correct setup, that it's all but plug'n'play and so on. I was looking at those famous Laird Williams white pages - a pdf document of 94 (!!!) pages :D

''Here are some general guidelines that the configuration section of this paper follows. 1) Attack noise at its source. For example, don‟t use a gate to filter out noise from ground loop hum. Use an ISO box so the ground loop noise never happens. You may still need the gate for other types of noise – but you will be able to have a much lighter touch with the gate and it will impact your dynamics less. 2) Use true, balanced connections for long cable runs. 3) Where it is applicable and you don‟t want to spend the money on balancing, take advantage of pseudo-balanced connections. 4) Isolate grounds on all audio interconnections. 5) Use well-shielded cables made from high-quality components. 6) Don‟t forget your guitar as a source of noise. Have a tech optimize its noise rejection/prevention capabilities.''

Flying over the first couple of pages of those white pages what I have to do before playing gives me just a headache - but I think I will just check one day and see what it does - I'll have a 30-day satisfied or money back guarantee to take some time looking at it :D

Honestly, don't get intimidated by that stuff. If/when you get it, plug it in and play. See where you're at first. There are some things I've read to do to get it to "sound its best", but beauty is in the ears of the behold. The only things I remember adjusting out of the box were the input gain and the boost level. I'm sure there are things that someone like Les would pick up on that I miss or don't care about, so YMMV.

That said, I have picked up a habit lately of changing the tuning mute setting from muted to on, and I never remember how to get it back, so I end up turning a bunch of knobs until I figure it out again. But that's just me.

Back