Floating Bridge - b Exceptionally High

Tweedice

I lowered my action as far as I could without buzz, and my b string is higher than my e & g string. 1) is this likely an issue with the way the nut is cut? 2) How would you recommend changing this?

https://imgur.com/a/uHZdd6K
uHZdd6K

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Looks like an SE, S2, or CE bridge. The first thing I do is get the saddles radiused to 10, as close to the trem plate as possible. I like the tone better when the saddles aren’t up high. If it’s an SE or used, I would strongly recommend taking it to a good luthier and having the nut replaced. I use Core nuts on my trem guitars. The bridge itself should be set up to go up a half step, or even slightly more. Any trem plate adjustments must be done with no string tension, and the springs disconnected. If this is all new, go to a pro for the bridge setup, even if you watch all the YouTube videos on how to do it. After it’s been done right once, it’s easy to do small tweaks, unless you change string gauges radically. If it’s a new SE there’s always the possibility of uneven frets.

Looks like an SE, S2, or CE bridge. The first thing I do is get the saddles radiused to 10, as close to the trem plate as possible. I like the tone better when the saddles aren’t up high. If it’s an SE or used, I would strongly recommend taking it to a good luthier and having the nut replaced. I use Core nuts on my trem guitars. The bridge itself should be set up to go up a half step, or even slightly more. Any trem plate adjustments must be done with no string tension, and the springs disconnected. If this is all new, go to a pro for the bridge setup, even if you watch all the YouTube videos on how to do it. After it’s been done right once, it’s easy to do small tweaks, unless you change string gauges radically. If it’s a new SE there’s always the possibility of uneven frets.

Thanks for the advice. It's a custom SE. The issue is I brought it in to the luthier in town a year ago because the b string was sticking in the nut. He sanded down the nut quite a bit, which makes me think he may not have done everything properly. https://imgur.com/a/eHaRlKE
Based on what you're saying, sounds like I should bring it back to him.

This could be a can of worms, and possibly made worse if you don’t know what you’re doing (no disrespect). The saddles shouldn’t really be flat like that, since the fretboard and obviously the frets themselves have a radius. It doesn’t have to be an exact match, but too big a mismatch will cause you problems.

Does the string buzz when you play it open? You can also check for high frets by looking down the neck with the guitar flat in front of you. High frets should, literally, stick out.

TBH it could be worth just taking it back to your guy and getting it sorted out to your liking.

This could be a can of worms, and possibly made worse if you don’t know what you’re doing (no disrespect). The saddles shouldn’t really be flat like that, since the fretboard and obviously the frets themselves have a radius. It doesn’t have to be an exact match, but too big a mismatch will cause you problems.

Does the string buzz when you play it open? You can also check for high frets by looking down the neck with the guitar flat in front of you. High frets should, literally, stick out.

TBH it could be worth just taking it back to your guy and getting it sorted out to your liking.

No offense taken. I just lowered/raised every string till it stop buzzing at the 1st fret.

I'll bring it in.

Back