Floating bridge adjustment for only 1/2 step down on custom 24 SE?

GET TO DA CHOPPA

First of all, I am not very experienced at all with guitar tinkering. Still learning.

My guitar was setup for standard tuning, and I noticed, when I tune my Custom 24 SE down just 1/2 step, the floating bridge is no longer parallel at all. It still sounds and plays nice, tuning stability seems a bit worse. Do I actually need to adjust bridge for even just 1/2 step down? I expected as much for D tuning or lower, but not 1/2 step.

I do have a hardtail guitar that maybe is better suited to keep tuned down for now. Maybe this is reason enough to buy another PRS for multiple tunings lol. I've been eye balling the 2021 Zack Myers SE.

My guitar is all stock by the way except for the PRS SE locking tuners I put on it and nut sauce.

Yes, you'll need to adjust the bridge. But it won't be drastic - a couple tweaks to the claw screws should do it. Basically, by tuning down you've decreased the string tension, so the springs are pulling the bridge further. As you back the screws out (slowly and evenly - like 1/4 turn each then evaluate), the back end of the bridge will come up and back into parallel. It's kind of like you've gone to lighter strings - same effect on the trem.

Yes, you'll need to adjust the bridge. But it won't be drastic - a couple tweaks to the claw screws should do it. Basically, by tuning down you've decreased the string tension, so the springs are pulling the bridge further. As you back the screws out (slowly and evenly - like 1/4 turn each then evaluate), the back end of the bridge will come up and back into parallel. It's kind of like you've gone to lighter strings - same effect on the trem.

Thanks dude. It seems like too much trouble though unless I'm going to stay in that tuning. I think I will just tune down my hardtail for now 1/2 step. Hopefully I can get away with not having to adjust anything on that one. When I get another guitar I'll have it set it up specifically for 1/2 step down and leave it like that.

I think I'm just looking for excuses to buy another guitar.

Back