Flip to treble pickup....then nothing...!

Lloyd676

When the same weird thing happens to two guitars over 10 years apart, I have to seek out others' experiences!

Live performance with the 25th Anniversary Modern Eagle II...I switch to the treble pickup for the climactic moment in the solo, and nothing. Silence. It hasn't happened to me since then, so I figure ok...flip it back and forth a few times, contact cleaner, ok fine. Hasn't done it again.

2022 CE24....this happens to me regularly in practice. Flip to treble pickup, and nothing. Flip it back and forth a couple times, and it's fine. And yet concerning. Do I need to start replacing switches? Are the modern CE switches inferior to what is in Core models?

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide!

If it is a 3 way toggle, I always leave them in the middle position when not playing the guitar. Something made me think about this with a Les Paul at one point. For years now I have been putting them back in the middle and leaving them there when I am done playing. I leave them there in the case as well. My thinking was that if you look at how the switch is constructed, the middle position doesn't put the pressure on the connections like it does when you flip the neck or bridge pickup. In my mind it just helps the switch last longer. I have never had any issues with them so maybe it is helping by leaving them in the middle, who knows for sure.

If it is a 3 way toggle, I always leave them in the middle position when not playing the guitar. Something made me think about this with a Les Paul at one point. For years now I have been putting them back in the middle and leaving them there when I am done playing. I leave them there in the case as well. My thinking was that if you look at how the switch is constructed, the middle position doesn't put the pressure on the connections like it does when you flip the neck or bridge pickup. In my mind it just helps the switch last longer. I have never had any issues with them so maybe it is helping by leaving them in the middle, who knows for sure.

What he said. I had issues w/the toggle on my DGT, and a little bendy stuff and some cleaning and all is well. I usually left it on the bridge pickup, and I started having trouble w/the middle position because of that. Somebody suggested this (and it may well have been Jason), and I decided I should start putting the toggles in the middle position when I was done playing.

I haven't done it, but I decided I should. Just like I should exercise more.

What he said. I had issues w/the toggle on my DGT, and a little bendy stuff and some cleaning and all is well. I usually left it on the bridge pickup, and I started having trouble w/the middle position because of that. Somebody suggested this (and it may well have been Jason), and I decided I should start putting the toggles in the middle position when I was done playing.

I haven't done it, but I decided I should. Just like I should exercise more.
That's funny you mention that, because I do return the toggles to center! But thanks for the advice, all. I will open it up and try the bendy stuff!

Adjust the switch. Look for bad solder joints. Look for unintentional grounds. I had that on a new installation. The shield was rubbing against the switch in one position. I insulated it and all is well.

I had to spray Deoxit on my 3 way which is on my 21 WL DGT I bought new….the switch started cutting out a month after I bought the guitar new…. No issues since, although thanks to this thread, I’m leaving all my 3 way toggles in the middle from now on when the guitars are not being used

Back