flip flop colors

horax

How rare are these flip flop colors and how often do they come out?
I've seen a few in the wild, but htey seem to come up at random times.
Are htey special order for certain dealers?

I have one of the Ernie Ball Sledge basses in flip-flop pewter.

I bought it for other reasons; the neck was finished old-school, etc, and it has other things they aren't offering any more.

The flip flop paint almost kept me from buying it. I can't imagine why anyone would think it's all that important. No big deal.

Sometime in the late '90s VW showed a car with flip-flop paint on the North American International Auto Show circuit.

I had done some music for GM for the show, so I took my son who was about 10 to the show to check everything out. When he saw the flip flop paint on the VW he did the 10 year old's equivalent of 'holy sh!t Dad'.

I did the adult of equivalent of 'holy sh!t', but I suspect he and I had different reactions regarding desirability! o_O

Carvin used to have a cool finish called “Harlequin Prismatic” or something along those lines. Flashy on stage. I liked the Nebula Silver Sky, but already had a nice red one so no real motivation to replace it. The paint wouldn’t keep me from getting one.

To the OP, PRS has done a couple, but they’re not a regular finish option.

The 1st from PRS is a Silver Sky known as the Nebula. A run of 500 was made, half went to the US. I believe the year was 2020.
The 2nd from PRS is a Silver Sky known as Lunar Ice. A run of 1000 was made, half went to the US. I believe the year was 2021.

The Nebula has a rosewood board with gloss on the back of the neck.
The Lunar Ice has a maple board with satin on the back of the neck.

I prefer the colors of the Nebula which are more vivid.

I picked up one of each, my Custom Shop Strat is on consignment at the moment.

A small number of one-off colors come out of the factory. I've seen two of those guitars while wandering reverb.com that were flip-flop paint jobs. One was a hollowbody, and another was a Custom 24 I think.

Sometime in the late '90s VW showed a car with flip-flop paint on the North American International Auto Show circuit.

I had done some music for GM for the show, so I took my son who was about 10 to the show to check everything out. When he saw the flip flop paint on the VW he did the 10 year old's equivalent of 'holy sh!t Dad'.

I did the adult of equivalent of 'holy sh!t', but I suspect he and I had different reactions regarding desirability! o_O

I saw a Mustang in that paint around the same time in one of the car rags. I thought who would want that? Not long after it became popular on the car scene around me. Mostly imports, another reason to dislike the fart cans.. The only thing guitars have going for them is there's less of it.

Back