Flatwounds on a Zach Myers SE?

damelvs

Has anyone put flatwounds on a Zach Myers SE? I have flatwounds on my archtop and I love them. I'm mostly playing blues and jazz. Right now I'm running DR Blues strings, 10-46 on the Zach Myers and they are fine. I'm uncertain if I'll enjoy the flatwounds on my SE as much as I like them on my archtop.

There's certainly no rules against it...but I dare to say the ZM is kinda aimed at the polar opposite of a HB Jazz type guitar. (even though it is a Semi HB guitar, its namesake is a crunchy rocker)
Aaaah, give it a shot...just be aware of the grooves in the nut being cut for .009's or .010's sets...you may have trouble with the flatwound A and Low E strings seating correctly...???

There's certainly no rules against it...but I dare to say the ZM is kinda aimed at the polar opposite of a HB Jazz type guitar. (even though it is a Semi HB guitar, its namesake is a crunchy rocker)
Aaaah, give it a shot...just be aware of the grooves in the nut being cut for .009's or .010's sets...you may have trouble with the flatwound A and Low E strings seating correctly...???

This the main reason I have not used flats on a 'regular' guitar, yet!
My Flatwounds are heavier than anything I use on them. Maybe find some modest sized ones though?

@damelvs, I'm coming in on this thread two-plus-years later -- did you ever put flats on the Zach Myers? I recently bought an Se Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, and have been thinking about flats for it.

Shimmilou, you are right, probably not.

chicagoslim, a wound 3rd will require a different bridge? And only the 3rd? Wow, I didn't know the bridge wouldn't accommodate a different type of string.

LOL. They didn't cause an explosion on my SE Custom 22, but they did cause my bridge to lean over like Pisa, due to higher tension on the flats. I had to tighten the two screws on the underside of the guitar to get the bridge to lean back, and adjust the truss a bit. It took some work, but I sure like how it came out. It sounds beautiful with the flats.

You didn't have to do any adjustments at all?

I may have run some nut files through the slots to size them properly. Although, honestly, I can't remember. I use the Jazz Swing 10's. So, not a huge jump in size. But, sometimes I still need to do some touch ups. But, I use 10's on everything (except my Resonator) these days and am used to tweaking the nut on new guitars. I may have tweaked the truss rod, too.

I can guaranty that I adjusted the trem spring tension to keep the action in place.

I'm so used to doing set ups on new-to-me guitars that it doesn't even register with me any more. Of course, some require more work than others.

Back