Flamed Maple Neck On Vintage CE Guitars?

Woggers

What’s love got to do with it?
Over the years I’ve seen a few CEs on websites like Reverb with really nice, highly flamed, maple necks. It seems that the majority of them were “pre-factory” guitars, but I’m sure I’ve seen some made after 1995 as well.

Given that a very high percentage of the maple necks made by PRS are/were destined to be bolted to CE guitars, I assume it’s just luck of the draw… but is it? Did they ever intentionally make the CEs with figured necks? Maybe special dealer runs or something of the like?

(Swamp Ash Special - I know. But I’m talking specifically the CEs).

Anybody know?

Over the years I’ve seen a few CEs on websites like Reverb with really nice, highly flamed, maple necks. It seems that the majority of them were “pre-factory” guitars, but I’m sure I’ve seen some made after 1995 as well.

Given that a very high percentage of the maple necks made by PRS are/were destined to be bolted to CE guitars, I assume it’s just luck of the draw… but is it? Did they ever intentionally make the CEs with figured necks? Maybe special dealer runs or something of the like?

(Swamp Ash Special - I know. But I’m talking specifically the CEs).

Anybody know?
I think as Gtrbldr says, it was random luck.

PS - all PRS Guitars made since 1985 are 'factory' guitars. The only difference is whether they were made in the old or new factory.

The pre-1985 guitars are the true pre-factory, and I believe they were all one-off custom ordered models.

I think as Gtrbldr says, it was random luck.

PS - all PRS Guitars made since 1985 are 'factory' guitars. The only difference is whether they were made in the old or new factory.

The pre-1985 guitars are the true pre-factory, and I believe they were all one-off custom ordered models.
Oh, I am well aware. “Old Factory” or “New Factory” would certainly be a better distinction. But as I am sure you know, people who use the term “pre-factory” are almost always referring to guitars manufactured in the Annapolis facility. And although I know better, I am definitely guilty of this sin.

Oh, I am well aware. “Old Factory” or “New Factory” would certainly be a better distinction. But as I am sure you know, people who use the term “pre-factory” are almost always referring to guitars manufactured in the Annapolis facility. And although I know better, I am definitely guilty of this sin.
I don't even understand why people bother to make these distinctions, but guitar players are always creating legends and think 'pre-whatever- was better.

Like 'pre-lawsuit' singlecuts. I have had several of each. The newer ones are miles ahead.

I don't even understand why people bother to make these distinctions, but guitar players are always creating legends and think 'pre-whatever- was better.

Like 'pre-lawsuit' singlecuts. I have had several of each. The newer ones are miles ahead.
Agreed. My newer PRSi end of the first decade of the 00's are definately better than my old 92 CE

I reckon a great deal of this "early is good" idea comes from the trajectory of Fender and Gibson as manufacturers, and their inability to consistently re-capture their early (generally more "hands-on") successes. This has become an archetype of a sort - one that gets superimposed on every builder to some degree: some of it is genuinely reflective of a wider reality, and some of it isn't.

Every manufacturer manages to build outstandingly good guitars throughout their history. Everyone also produces outliers every now and then, and these guitars help build the myth of "good years".

Some manufacturers are more consistent than others; but in some cases, it's down to blind-luck-meets-sheer-numbers (I'm looking at you, Fender...) rather more than because of evolving skill and determination.

IMO PRS falls into the latter category, where there's genuine evolution in design and production going on. My old '86 takes some beating, nonetheless......proving only that a great guitar builder can both start well, and keep going in the right direction - just so long as they're powered by sufficient determination and vision.

To you…:)
Thank you for pointing that out, because I forgot the disclaimer!

Please consider the following an addendum to my post:

The opinion expressed in its author's earlier post is solely that of the author, and no obligation on the part of any reader is expressed or implied. While the author believes that the changes made since 2008 in PRS' hardware, finishes, pickups and electronics have advanced the desirability of PRS instruments, the author possesses no scientifically verifiable data to support or discredit his opinion. Any errors contained in the author's opinion are solely those of the author. Author's advice may cause unwanted side effects. Do not use the author's suggested volume settings without hearing protection, as hearing damage may occur. Do not taunt the author. Opinion void where prohibited by law. Opinion offered is the base model and may require caveats. Author reserves the right to change the stated opinion at any time without notice. No warranty of fitness, merchantability, or any other warranty is expressed or implied. The author is not responsible for damage to reader's brain or wallet if author’s advice is taken. Do not operate machinery while reading author's post. Do not open the author’s opinion for repair, there are no user-serviceable parts inside. In the event of failure, please discard the author's opinion in the nearest available trash receptacle or recycling facility. For service call the author's service department at 1-800-BULSH!T.

Note: We are experiencing an unusual volume of calls at 1-800-BULSH!T today, wait times on hold may be longer than expected. Please remain on the line, your call is important to us! Or visit our website. You will be asked to fill out an optional survey that we will completely ignore.

I hope that covers it!

There is no best, there is only what is best for you. :)

Last edited:
The one that always gets a chuckle out of me is folks selling an LP from the 90’s (or whenever), touting it that it’s from the “good wood” era… and 90’s “pre factory” PRS’s….huh?

Only noobs and salesmen; usually paired with ALL CAPS, copious use of words like ‘rare” or ‘minty’, and followed by an exclamation point after every got-damn sentence.
That‘s how I write all my ads! :p

At least that’s how I used to do it. I haven’t sold a guitar in 3 or 4 years now.

Back